Forget all other tire options - these just made my day.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I want to be sure I understand what is being said here because I am ready to buy tires for my stock wheels. Is Jamal indicating that a rear tire 30mm wider than stock (345 vs. 315) is unsafe? If so, is it unsafe at any speed or only at over 200 mph?

Also, is a front tire 30mm wider than stock (265 vs. 235) also unsafe?

I'm so confused.

Tire manufacturers give a minimum rim width for a tire of any given size. I was asking BlackIce if he got that the min rim width was ok from Bridgestone. If they say it's OK to fit on a rim the width of the GT's tires (11.5 in the rear, 9 in the front), it should all be good.

It's really a speed thing anyways. If you're not hauling serious ass I wouldn't worry about it. He just told me to make sure that Bridgestone doesn't list the minimum rim width for the 345 as anything over 11.5.

H

HHGT

Tire manufacturers give a minimum rim width for a tire of any given size. I was asking BlackIce if he got that the min rim width was ok from Bridgestone. If they say it's OK to fit on a rim the width of the GT's tires (11.5 in the rear, 9 in the front), it should all be good.

It's really a speed thing anyways. If you're not hauling serious ass I wouldn't worry about it. He just told me to make sure that Bridgestone doesn't list the minimum rim width for the 345 as anything over 11.5.

I am off to check to see if Goodyear makes the same claim and say its okay. I'll bet NOT!

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks, Dave. Bridgestone says 11.5 is within the approved range.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cold Hoosiers

Cold Hoosiers are plain dangerous

HHGT - I use Hoosiers on my GT & haven't noticed the cold problem on the road or track. Of course, I'm in sunny California. They seem ready to go right off the bat.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
no 19" tire/wheel combo same as OEM

Thanks to the new Porsche GT2, you can get the Michelin Sport Cups in 265/345.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport+Cup

John Michael - The Tire Rack lists the Michelins you mention as 27.2" which is over 1 1/2" smaller than OEM. That is quite a bit smaller. I'm still waiting for something other than the perfect size Hoosier.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Where did you get the info on minimum rim width?

I asked Jamal if a 345 would be alright for high speed and he said "Before I answer...can these text messages be reclaimed at your funeral?"

It's the minimum rim width of the rear that is the major concern, but if it's the GT size, they should be good.

The rim size a listed under specs on the tirerack site.

Fronts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050A&tirePageLocQty=

Rears
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....model=Potenza+RE050A+Scuderia&tirePageLocQty=

I am thinking of getting some CCWheel made up with 19x13 rears and 18x9.5 fronts and running the 345x19 and 265x18 RE50A on them.

Last edited:

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
Looks like the fronts are now on backorder at the Tire Rack. 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N0 (Porsche) XL

Anyone know another source?

I need tires this week.

Bill

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
HHGT - I use Hoosiers on my GT & haven't noticed the cold problem on the road or track. Of course, I'm in sunny California. They seem ready to go right off the bat.

Ed

Same here.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Discount

Same here.

Looks like the fronts are now on backorder at the Tire Rack. 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N0 (Porsche) XL

I need tires this week.

Bill

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii

I need tires this week.

Bill

I spoke to someone at Tire Rack about the same problem and was told that the 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL is the same tire with a slightly different tread pattern (Mercedes Spec vs. Porsche) so I ordered those.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Hello all,

It's time for my next project. I'm putting 20 x 13 or 13 1/2" wheels in the rear. Is there a 355 out there for this size wheel?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Hello all,

It's time for my next project. I'm putting 20 x 13 or 13 1/2" wheels in the rear. Is there a 355 out there for this size wheel?

Don't do it if you want sticky rubber. I looked long and hard for sticky rubber for my friend's Carrera GT and couldn't find any at 20" diameter. Stick to 19's for performance until more 20" tires become available, even though I admit the 20" and larger wheels look awesome. The PS2 that many car run with are great street rubbers, but with a 220 treadwear rating, they are nowhere as sticky as the 60 to 80 treadwear Michlin Pilot Sport Cups, Yokohama A048, Toyo RA1/R888, or Pirelli P Zero CORSA's. I had the OEM PS2's on my '04 GT3 and as soon as I switched to the P0 Corsa's, my lap time went down over 2 seconds a lap on a 90 second course. Not to mention the R compounds heat up a lot faster and that make the difference between staying on the road and ending up in a ditch somewhere. Case in point, just last Saturday, a CGT on PS2 crashed into the opposite lane leaving the PCA Huntington Beach White Gloves Concours going a little too fast on tires that are a little too cold. Fortunately the driver and passenger are ok and no one was injured, just some bend metal and carbon fiber and ego.

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
I spoke to someone at Tire Rack about the same problem and was told that the 265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL is the same tire with a slightly different tread pattern (Mercedes Spec vs. Porsche) so I ordered those.

The RE50 and RE50A are totally different. I wouldn't recommened mixing these tires.

Bill

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hello all,

Rick.. Get some info on the Veyron Michelin tires.. They are 365 in the rear !!:thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Case in point, just last Saturday, a CGT on PS2 crashed into the opposite lane leaving the PCA Huntington Beach White Gloves Concours going a little too fast on tires that are a little too cold. Fortunately the driver and passenger are ok and no one was injured, just some bend metal and carbon fiber and ego.

This was written by the local PCA editor:

The following message was written by Garey Cooper:

After a wonderful and fun day of Concours and entertainment there was a very unfortunate traffic accident that involved one of the cars that had been displayed at our Concours.

A black Carerra GT evidently turned left onto Pacific Coast Highway at a high rate of speed, lost control and went over the road divider into oncoming traffic, colliding with another car traveling in the opposite direction. In the other car were a mother and child who were both removed from their vehicle and transported by ambulance for care and/or observation. The impact was strong enough that the airbags deployed. We do not know if the occupants of the Porsche vehicle were injured. We also have not seen the official police report from this incident and can only report observations personally taken after the accident occurred. These observations lead us to believe that the Porsche was at fault, and even perhaps negligently so. The hotel parking attendants reported that the Porsche had left the hotel parking area at a high rate of speed; exhibiting for the onlookers.

The driver of the Porsche vehicle was not involved with the organization of the Concours or the Orange Coast Region. We do not think that they are members of the Orange Coast Region either. However the car had been on display at the Concours.

As a club we want to publicly state that we do not condone or encourage unsafe driving or undue exhibition of speed, particularly in crowded roadways where others may be injured as a consequence of these actions. Orange Coast Region urges all members to understand that our events are for the enjoyment of the participants in as safe and appropriate manner as possible. Further we all must remember that we are ambassadors of our club and the Porsche Car marque. Other drivers look at us and see the behavior of a whole class of people who drive cars similar to ours. Please use road manners that keep these facts in mind.

Our thoughts are with those injured and we hope that none of them were seriously hurt.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Case in point, just last Saturday, a CGT on PS2 crashed into the opposite lane leaving the PCA Huntington Beach White Gloves Concours going a little too fast on tires that are a little too cold. Fortunately the driver and passenger are ok and no one was injured, just some bend metal and carbon fiber and ego.

Sue and I were at C&C in Irvine last Sat and after it was over we drove over to Laguna Beach and then north on the PCH to Duke's in Malibu.
Where is the PCA Huntington Beach White Gloves Concours in Huntington Beach? We would love to check it out next time we are there if the calendar allows.

Sam - wanted to check out your new rubber but we pulled up at 8:15 which is when you drove out. Was that George behind you in the blue GT?

:cheers
Trent

H

HHGT

Hi Trent, sorry I missed you. That was Jeff not George behind me. Are you still in So Cal for this coming Saturday?

Sam

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Flew back into Calgary tonight - but my wife and I wish we were still there, love that area.:thumbsup

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
The RE50 and RE50A are totally different. I wouldn't recommened mixing these tires.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback, Bill.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Scudy's are just so/so for me..

I've got about 600 miles on my Bridgestone Potenza Scuderia's.. Rear only. They are softer and quieter but I wouldn't say they are that much grippier in straight line acceleration. The still spin easily in first gear..

I can not say what they are like on the road course. I was hoping they would provide more grip under heavy acceleration in first gear so I was a little disappointed.. I have a pulley and tune I am running them on the stock rims. I'm not sure if the stock set up takes full advantage of the extra tire width. When I look at the dirty contact patch area of the tire there seems to be a large area on the outside edge that is not in contact with the road . Maybe a camber adjustment would help ??

They are a good alternative for sure especially from a noise stand point , but if you are looking for a miracle tire to hold the torque in first gear you maybe disappointed.. just my 2 cents ..:biggrin