Forget all other tire options - these just made my day.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sam,

Given the number of requests for additional specific pictures you’re clearly not posting enough shots. Can you please rent a crane and take a picture of the car from about twenty feet directly above the car? Can you then drive the car onto a plate of glass, use the crane to raise the plate of glass into the air about thirty feet and take a picture of the car from the bottom? Can you then mount the old tires and take the same set of pictures with the old tires along with comparable old tire pictures to all of the other pictures you’ve taken and post everything so that we can get a good comparison of old vs. new tires?

It would be great if you could do this today!

A great idea, but give him a reasonable amount of time to get this done. I expect to new pictures to be posted by Friday.

:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Man. Sum peoplez is shur demandin', ain't they?????! :lol

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
FYI​

I was in a parts department at the local Ford dealer last week. On their counter was a Ford sign saying that they will beat your best tire deal....so I asked.

They said that they will beat any price for any type of tire...even if it wasn't standard equipment.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I replaced the standard tires with the Bridgestones RE 050A and RE 050A Scuderia. Rims also changed from the optional to the standard.

Just for comparison

Stock: 235/45/ZR18 88 Y - wheel and tire 45.2 pounds - 26.33 diameter / 9.3 wide
Stock: 315/40/ZR19 103Y - wheel and tire 56.0 pounds - 28.92 diameter / 12.4 wide

Naturally the stock tires are missing some rubber, but I think I made up for the weight with nails.

New: 265/40/ZR18 101 Y - wheel and tire 52.4 pounds - 26.35 diameter / 10.4 wide
New: 345/35/ZR19 110 Y - wheel and tire 61.4 pounds - 28.51 diameter / 13.6 wide

Size is right. Better for weight rating. Wear ratingis lower. Price is good compared to some of the others. I think some of others had the width, but not the profile. To me the look with the Bridgestones is better than stock.

Here is a link to the tire thread - I put up photos of the tires on stock wheels.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9743

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
A great idea, but give him a reasonable amount of time to get this done. I expect to new pictures to be posted by Friday.

:lol

Tomorrow is Friday. :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Any updates on the tires?

H

HHGT

Car will be at C&C this Saturday Morning and off to Kendall from there. Randy, bring you camera...

With respect to driveability... IT IS UNBELIEVABLE...
First off the car is SERIOUSLY quieter, Corners are very controllable and most importantly, with throttle control, first gear is very very nice. I did have to retrain my foot, but now that I am used to it, 1st to 2nd gear pulls give me NOTHING BUT WOOD...

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Car will be at C&C this Saturday Morning and off to Kendall from there. Randy, bring you camera...

With respect to driveability... IT IS UNBELIEVABLE...
First off the car is SERIOUSLY quieter, Corners are very controllable and most importantly, with throttle control, first gear is very very nice. I did have to retrain my foot, but now that I am used to it, 1st to 2nd gear pulls give me NOTHING BUT WOOD...

I'll be there too Sam. But can you not leave C&C too early??? Us younger guys can't get up that early. :rofl

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Well guys thats it.

I am so fed up with these Goodyears :thumbsdow:frown:thumbsdow:frown that I've just ordered the Potenza's from Tire Rack - as per HHGT, Heritage Bruce and AZGT's specs. :thumbsup

Thank you fellas and to anyone else who has contributed to this topic that is probably one of the, if not the biggest downfalls of these otherwise wonderful automobiles. :cheers

Terry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My only concern is high speed. I do a bit more high speed driving than most, and while these are good enough for an Enzo which will no doubt do 210+, I wonder if they were held to the same absurd standards Ford applied to the Goodyears. I definitely think this is the set I will be buying in the next week or so barring some new information from my buddies at SVT telling me it is unsafe.

H

HHGT

Make sure that whomever installs the tires has the best balancing machines out there. Most machines balance to 140 mph - there has been quite of information discussed here on the forum.

H

HHGT

My only concern is high speed. I do a bit more high speed driving than most, and while these are good enough for an Enzo which will no doubt do 210+, I wonder if they were held to the same absurd standards Ford applied to the Goodyears. I definitely think this is the set I will be buying in the next week or so barring some new information from my buddies at SVT telling me it is unsafe.

How often do you go over 200 mph? :willy:willy:willy:willy
BTW, I have kept the Goodyears on an extra set of rims just for any future planned high speed runs.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

DBK I would like to get your impression of the tires with the TT, since you are man and drive in manly ways at manly RPMs.

Does anyone know the weight on the rear tires Enzo vs. GT. Common sense tells me that up rate or de-rate the speed rating of the tires depending on if the GT is lighter or heavier on the rear than the Enzo. My guess is the GT is heavier. Dave stay below 200 and you should be OK. :lol :cheers

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
When I had the Whipple installed, the Goodyears on the car became useless. One day Kendall (aka Cooltech-LLC) called me and suggested that I look at the Scuderia which were made for the Enzo Ferrari. That got me thinking and at C&C I brought it up to HeritageBruce. Well Bruce took the idea and ran with it and shortly emailed me the tires to get. Well, I called Tire Rack and had them shipped. The next week was an adventure on its own trying to find a Road Force GSP9700 http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm

Today, I put them on:

345/35ZR-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia
265/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N0 (Porsche) XL

The tires cold were impressive, BUT - Once they warmed up they became AMAZING. What are the Pluses & Minuses?

PLUSES
1- Quiet. So much quieter than the Goodyears that now I can hear the SC Whine & Boost.
2- 1st gear grip was incredible. Once the tires warmed up, I could actually launch the car with minimal spin.
3- 2nd gear shift became predictable and "Tire Audible". The back end no longer breaks loose.
4- Aggressive stance. The tires not only fill the wheel wells better, but show off more rubber behind the rear quarter panels.
5- You can not wipe the stupid grin off my face if you tried.
6- Reasonably Priced. $1,400 with Road Insurance

Minuses
NONE

The car is a rocket and finally feels right once again, just like what the Whipple was intended to do. Be careful out there and give the car the respect it deserves.

I'll take some pics later on and post them.

Sam

Sam Thank you so much for the info.
I am not up on tire mounting and balancing machines is the Road Force a brand or type of machine?

Second have you figured out if your speedo is off or by how much yet?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have a machine shop do all my balancing.
Amazing results !

H

HHGT

Sam Thank you so much for the info.
I am not up on tire mounting and balancing machines is the Road Force a brand or type of machine?

Second have you figured out if your speedo is off or by how much yet?

I really have not paid much attention to the speedo. Just before I get WOOD, I am usually focused on the windshield with a quick peak at the RPM. All in all, the height difference is minimal, I would guess that it may be off by no more than 3 MPH.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
......... Just before I get WOOD, ........

And a shit eatin' grin! :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks for the post!!! :thumbsup

I have a Whipple and was thinking about the same setup for tires, but have some concerns that the rim diameters are not optimum for these tire widths. The minimum rear rim is 11.5", the stock rear size, but the fronts are too narrow, requiring a 9" rim on the front. I think the stock front rim is 8.5".

Where did you get the info on minimum rim width?

I asked Jamal if a 345 would be alright for high speed and he said "Before I answer...can these text messages be reclaimed at your funeral?"

It's the minimum rim width of the rear that is the major concern, but if it's the GT size, they should be good.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I asked Jamal if a 345 would be alright for high speed and he said "Before I answer...can these text messages be reclaimed at your funeral?"

Whoops!

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Where did you get the info on minimum rim width?

It's the minimum rim width of the rear that is the major concern, but if it's the GT size, they should be good.

I want to be sure I understand what is being said here because I am ready to buy tires for my stock wheels. Is Jamal indicating that a rear tire 30mm wider than stock (345 vs. 315) is unsafe? If so, is it unsafe at any speed or only at over 200 mph?

Also, is a front tire 30mm wider than stock (265 vs. 235) also unsafe?

I'm so confused.