Ford GT Price Valuations

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Steve - god forbid she lets a replacement drive your GT... I'd awake from the dead to kill someone for that. LOL

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Herb, thanks for the post.
Not trying to be provocative here but as to why some get stressed out over a topic of what your car/home/boat may be worth is beyond me. If we can fill pages and pages of what color do you like best, what comments have been made about your car etc, what the current pricing trends are seems like a legit topic. Also I have driven my car exactly 5300 miles sense brand new, not sure if that is low, medium or high miles but is the exact amount I wanted to drive it. If I die tomorrow and the wife let's my replacement put the next 5000 miles on it I hope that he enjoys every aspect of ownership as much as I have.:thumbsup

I agree 100 percent, but I am at 11000 plus miles! Drive the wheels off of what you have! Who cares cars are a depreciating asset. Saying that it is nice out GTs are holding value.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve - god forbid she lets a replacement drive your GT... I'd awake from the dead to kill someone for that. LOL

Fact is if I die tomorrow and I'm looking down (I hope) I'm going to be a whole lot more bummed that I died at 54 than who is driving my car. LOL! Besides the next poor dumb bastard that comes along and marries Mrs SteveA is going to earn every mile he puts on #448.:rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Cars are poor investments. The time I worry about what my FGT is worth I have much bigger problems.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
Hi Herb,
A great topic and very well discussed replies. I'd like to toss in another twist. As some of you know I just managed to repair a failed 3rd gear and save the 15K new transaxle purchase. The $14,000 part savings was spent on a Whipple pulley, oil cooler, STILLEN clutch and exhaust. Then a dyno tune, rev limiter increase by Aaron Scott in S GA turned my car into a virtual street monster and loud one at that. Does anyone have results in the upside-downside of these types of upgrades. I agree with those who state "it really doesn't matter" and I mostly agree. These are OUR cars to drive and enjoy. That said, being in the retail car business myself, I couldn't help but wonder how significant modifications affect resale. Again, mostly a mute point from me and my car can fairly easily be returned to stock if needed but not by me. I had no idea how stupid fast these cars can be with a few bucks in the right places and a competent tune You twin turbo guys have my sincere respect!! I'm just trying to stay out of jail with my factory blower!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Herb,
A great topic and very well discussed replies. I'd like to toss in another twist. As some of you know I just managed to repair a failed 3rd gear and save the 15K new transaxle purchase. The $14,000 part savings was spent on a Whipple pulley, oil cooler, STILLEN clutch and exhaust. Then a dyno tune, rev limiter increase by Aaron Scott in S GA turned my car into a virtual street monster and loud one at that. Does anyone have results in the upside-downside of these types of upgrades. I agree with those who state "it really doesn't matter" and I mostly agree. These are OUR cars to drive and enjoy. That said, being in the retail car business myself, I couldn't help but wonder how significant modifications affect resale. Again, mostly a mute point from me and my car can fairly easily be returned to stock if needed but not by me. I had no idea how stupid fast these cars can be with a few bucks in the right places and a competent tune You twin turbo guys have my sincere respect!! I'm just trying to stay out of jail with my factory blower!!

This is just my opinion on mods.

They, in general, add no value and can subtract value. I never figure mods are worth anything more than my pleasure derived from having them. Examples of mods that I believe will not make the car more valuable:

seat rings
shifter dressing kits

For these kinds of mods I always keep original parts so I can put them back to original. Sometimes people will want them but if not I can take them off and sell them.

Examples of mods that add value:

Twin Turbos
Big Whipple
Short Throw Shifter

These are better classified as upgrades than mods. You stand a good chance of recovering a big portion of your cost, but probably not all. The goofy thing is that people want to buy cars with these, not pay for them, and then will go drop full price to put them in an unmodified car.

Examples of mods that are marginal:

Pulley/tune
Wheels
Exhaust changes

Might help sell the car, but probably not recoverable. Enjoy them. Sometimes a buyer would want the original back so again I keep original parts as they may have residual value to someone else.

A corner and shelf in my garage are taken up with a box or two of "take off parts"... If I sell it any takeoffs that aren't restored will be offered to the buyer. Sometimes they don't want them. For example, I doubt anyone would want to go back to the original Ford muffler. It'll take space in garage for a long time :)

Just my 2c having been through it both with a couple of Mustangs and now the GT.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
My thoughts as well. In the typical retail passenger suv and car market, engine modifications are a killer. Lowered cars, aftermarket wheels as you mention all show the vehicle was "tampered with" and a difficult resell or expensive to bring back original. I pretty much assumed that would be the case with the FGT but as always, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We even fool ourselves from time to time when a teenager comes in and grabs a poorly modified Honda Civic but goes home smiling when all we planned to do was wholesale it ASAP.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I wonder if the opinion on aftermarket mods on women differ from the mods on cars. Which mods are value add and which mods lower desirability?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
In Corvettes, its 100% value destruction.

Re: Women, mods are irrelevant, when new models are free every year.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
"Women, mods are irrelevant, when new models are free every year. "

Dang, I love the way you think!!!

Larry

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"Women, mods are irrelevant, when new models are free every year. "

Dang, I love the way you think!!!

Larry

In Corvettes, its 100% value destruction.

Re: Women, mods are irrelevant, when new models are free every year.

The problem is, for many the free models are not desirable.

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
I can hear a few "Amens" out of that comment. I'll provide the first one.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think for some potential buyers Mods may indicated the car was abused, tho in reality, a unmodified car can be abused just as easily as a modified car. In fact the truth may be Modified cars may be better maintained and less abused.

I think who installs the mods also makes a difference. Installation by Shadowman, GT guys, Shelby or Cooltech (etc) is likely to help retain value against mods by an owner (no matter how skilled) or an unknown shop.

IMHO

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I couldnt tell you the up/down/sideways on pricing but I can tell you that I did drive mine today.
"Which is nice....."

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This is just my opinion on mods.

They, in general, add no value and can subtract value. I never figure mods are worth anything more than my pleasure derived from having them. Examples of mods that I believe will not make the car more valuable:

seat rings
shifter dressing kits

For these kinds of mods I always keep original parts so I can put them back to original. Sometimes people will want them but if not I can take them off and sell them.

Examples of mods that add value:

Twin Turbos
Big Whipple
Short Throw Shifter

These are better classified as upgrades than mods. You stand a good chance of recovering a big portion of your cost, but probably not all. The goofy thing is that people want to buy cars with these, not pay for them, and then will go drop full price to put them in an unmodified car.

Examples of mods that are marginal:

Pulley/tune
Wheels
Exhaust changes

Might help sell the car, but probably not recoverable. Enjoy them. Sometimes a buyer would want the original back so again I keep original parts as they may have residual value to someone else.

A corner and shelf in my garage are taken up with a box or two of "take off parts"... If I sell it any takeoffs that aren't restored will be offered to the buyer. Sometimes they don't want them. For example, I doubt anyone would want to go back to the original Ford muffler. It'll take space in garage for a long time :)

Just my 2c having been through it both with a couple of Mustangs and now the GT.

Interesting points. The only couple of exceptions I'll take to that is that I've seen a lot of twin turbos resell obviously well below what it took to get them there. And that's ashamed, it's a heckuva car like that. Conversely, a Whipple'd car looks like it comes closer to recovering the mod cost. Both are, of course, worthy endeavors.

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
I think for some potential buyers Mods may indicated the car was abused, tho in reality, a unmodified car can be abused just as easily as a modified car. In fact the truth may be Modified cars may be better maintained and less abused.

I think who installs the mods also makes a difference. Installation by Shadowman, GT guys, Shelby or Cooltech (etc) is likely to help retain value against mods by an owner (no matter how skilled) or an unknown shop.

IMHO

Completely agree with your analysis.

In addition:

It depends on the type of car. Most Ferrrari folks prefer originality, period. Some old 1950 vintage hod rodders, like me, can never leave any car alone, period. It appears that in our Ford GT community we have owners in each camp.

The appearance and quality of the modifications will go a long way in determining how quickly the modified car will sell and what the final price will be. When I purchased my first Ford GT, I had every intention of modifying it, once I sold my two highly modified Panteras, one that I raced and later turned into a show car, and a GT5S, which was built for driving. They lend themselves to modifications and most of the buyers want "different and a modicum of performance". Both of my Panteras sold quickly, each to persons who owned another Pantera. I did the majority of the work on each Pantera myself, other than painting and bodywork. Did I make money on either car, abolutely not. However, I got a much higher price than other Pantera sellers receive, for similiar cars, because of the quality of the workmanship. In addition both cars sold relatively quickly.

As a general rule, if you intend to modify a car after purchasing it, you will in most cases save money by buying one that has already been modified, even if you can purchase the parts wholesale, and do much of the work yourself. Of course, IMHO this is true if you can find a modified one to your liking. Shelby's opinion of this subject would carry more weight than mine.

My experience with the Ford GT may be helpful fora prospective buyer who intends to modify the GT after purchase. See Below.

Once the sales of the my Panteras was completed, turned to the Ford GT. Knowing what it involves to successfully complete modifications, I had to make a decision as to whether to complete the modifications myself or look for another GT that would satisfy my passions. I did extensive research on this forum, read evey word on Shadowman's website, and on a trip north stopped by and visited Shelby's old place in Jonesboro. When Shadowman's black GT came up for sale through Shelby, I knew the stars had aligned. Shadowman's car had modifications explained in detail on his website, many that are above my abilities and pay grade, and would not have attempted on my own. I was confident dealing with these two gentleman. I have never been disappointed. Shelby and I made a deal on the first phone call. I traded my GT for Shadowman's. Did I pay a premium for these modifications, hell yes, but not as much as I would have paid to have them completed on my first GT. I knew the quality of Shadowman's work and his attention to detail. Did I need all modifications, hell, no. Did I want them, hell yes. Was I completely satisfied with the deal, hell yes. Am I still satisfied, hell yes. Once the car arrived, started modifying it further, to my satisfaction. Will I ever receive what I have invested in the car, hell no. Do I care, hell, no. I never owned or built any of my cars with the intention of making a profit. My pleasure is driving them, looking at them, working on them and caring for them. This is a passion, not a business. Passions and pleasures have costs.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Completely agree with your analysis.

In addition:

It depends on the type of car. Most Ferrrari folks prefer originality, period. Some old 1950 vintage hod rodders, like me, can never leave any car alone, period. It appears that in our Ford GT community we have owners in each camp.

The appearance and quality of the modifications will go a long way in determining how quickly the modified car will sell and what the final price will be. When I purchased my first Ford GT, I had every intention of modifying it, once I sold my two highly modified Panteras, one that I raced and later turned into a show car, and a GT5S, which was built for driving. They lend themselves to modifications and most of the buyers want "different and a modicum of performance". Both of my Panteras sold quickly, each to persons who owned another Pantera. I did the majority of the work on each Pantera myself, other than painting and bodywork. Did I make money on either car, abolutely not. However, I got a much higher price than other Pantera sellers receive, for similiar cars, because of the quality of the workmanship. In addition both cars sold relatively quickly.

As a general rule, if you intend to modify a car after purchasing it, you will in most cases save money by buying one that has already been modified, even if you can purchase the parts wholesale, and do much of the work yourself. Of course, IMHO this is true if you can find a modified one to your liking. Shelby's opinion of this subject would carry more weight than mine.

My experience with the Ford GT may be helpful fora prospective buyer who intends to modify the GT after purchase. See Below.

Once the sales of the my Panteras was completed, turned to the Ford GT. Knowing what it involves to successfully complete modifications, I had to make a decision as to whether to complete the modifications myself or look for another GT that would satisfy my passions. I did extensive research on this forum, read evey word on Shadowman's website, and on a trip north stopped by and visited Shelby's old place in Jonesboro. When Shadowman's black GT came up for sale through Shelby, I knew the stars had aligned. Shadowman's car had modifications explained in detail on his website, many that are above my abilities and pay grade, and would not have attempted on my own. I was confident dealing with these two gentleman. I have never been disappointed. Shelby and I made a deal on the first phone call. I traded my GT for Shadowman's. Did I pay a premium for these modifications, hell yes, but not as much as I would have paid to have them completed on my first GT. I knew the quality of Shadowman's work and his attention to detail. Did I need all modifications, hell, no. Did I want them, hell yes. Was I completely satisfied with the deal, hell yes. Am I still satisfied, hell yes. Once the car arrived, started modifying it further, to my satisfaction. Will I ever receive what I have invested in the car, hell no. Do I care, hell, no. I never owned or built any of my cars with the intention of making a profit. My pleasure is driving them, looking at them, working on them and caring for them. This is a passion, not a business. Passions and pleasures have costs.

Thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts and the personal kind words as shared are truly very much appreciated.

Takes care

Shadowman

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Even though I know EVERYBODY loooooooooooooves this discussion topic, I'd like to add some comp information.

Recently, a 1973 Dino 246 GTS sold at Amelia Island for $363,000;
http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewCarPic=y&source=carGal&carID=625&pgID=1&pID=1028331
http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=AM12&CarID=r197&Currency=USD

Here's what I find interesting:

Numbers Built - ~4K (similar in numbers to the Ford GT) (Note: Yes, this is the more desirable Chairs & Flairs)

Original Selling Price - ~$14.5K http://www.sportscarmarket.com/car-...r-cars/ferrari/2034-1972-ferrari-dino-246-gt/

ODO -35K miles ....but it required a comprehensive restoration (which questions how important miles driven really has on value 'eventually')
Here is another one - http://ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200602_SS

Dino's aren't 'true' Ferrari's - The "Dino" brand was created to market a lower priced, "affordable" sports car. The first brochure described the Dino as "almost a Ferrari". Ferrari intended to do battle in the marketplace with Porsche and its 911. The more expensive road going Ferrari V12's of the time were no match at their much higher price point. But Enzo did not want to diminish the Ferrari brand with a cheaper car, and so "Dino" was born.

An 'un-educated' conclusion:
The Ford GT price really isn't affected by 'how many' were built.
Eventually 'miles driven' will be relatively unimportant as condition will be the overriding consideration.

Net Net - Make sure you properly 'value' your FGT when insuring, though more importantly..................go out and drive/enjoy that bad boy sitting in the garage, just don't wreck it.

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
A quick note, my GT mechanic says my 14k mile GT is still perfect, and I need to drive it regularly.

He cautioned that the seals, like in the AC compressor, get hard and brittle and will leak if not driven at least a couple times a month.

So, super low miles on a car is not without risk, especially for those of us who like to drive our GTs.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
like in the AC compressor

We are starting to see evidence of this. A couple of times this past month we have needed to re-charge AC systems on very low mileage cars. In each case, there was a collection of AC oil (green) at the AC compressor - presumably leaking past the seals. Not sure if we caught either one in time but the charges were holding in each after a couple of days. Fingers crossed.