Ford GT Price Valuations

For whatever it's worth (make up your own minds ...) I have owned Vincent motorcycles since 1980, and have bought and sold several more than the three I presently have. Vincent made about 11,000 bikes between 1929-1955, and a large majority of them were produced between 1949-1954. Roughly half the production is known to exist, and "barn finds" for restoration are not uncommon. Prices bottomed out in about the early 1970s, but have gone steadily up since before I bought my first one (it's worth about 13 times what I paid for it 32 years ago) - they rise, then plateau for a bit, then up again, and repeat. Now: the point is that number produced (almost three times as many as GTs made, and at least 1 1/2 times as many still around) doesn't seem to have had any effect on price. What does matter is the brilliance of the design, build quality, engineering innovation, success in competition, and also as street bikes that can be used. Therefore, I don't have any problem believing that GTs can rise similarly, because they have similar qualities. I don't know what's going to happen to GT prices, but I don't think the fact that there are roughly 3000 left will have much effect keeping their value from rising as long as they are recognized for their qualities.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You simply can't casually mention 3 Vincents and leave it at that. You must share some pictures or I will put a curse on your Lucas magnetos (over and above the oem Lucas curse).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What does matter is the brilliance of the design, build quality, engineering innovation, success in competition...

That alone is the biggest differentiator of the Ford GT...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Lots of us are going to try and buy all 7-8 colors

That will tie up many cars

Owing to an overwhelming request (sinovac you know who you are ...) check my profile album. :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Owing to an overwhelming request (sinovac you know who you are ...) check my profile album. :biggrin

Very cool. Nice to see they are runners and not door stops. I am jealous, particularly of the Norvin.

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
A very early 2005 red FGT (#0065) with 1300 miles, just sold at the RM auction at the St. John's Concours Show in Plymouth, MI for $155.000.
RB

Treviso

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2012
Metro Detroit
That Red FGT that sold at St. John's Concours in Plymouth sold for very cheap. It makes me think that we have all over paid on our cars. Everytime I see them at auction, they sem to sell in the $150K range, yet many of us have bought them in the $175-$185 range. Have we been foolish?

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
With the automatic 10% "buyers premium" charged by RM the actual selling price was $170,500, only a tad low of the range you cited. I wouldn't call it cheap, just a good buy.

RB

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
With the automatic 10% "buyers premium" charged by RM the actual selling price was $170,500, only a tad low of the range you cited. I wouldn't call it cheap, just a good buy.

RB

Yes, that's what the customer paid, but for most the hammer price is the base. The 10% is a tax.

Still, a 7 year old car that sells for at or about original MSRP ain't bad :)

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
I believe they ( Auction companies) have a buyers charge and a sellers charge as well! If that's true, when you put them together the price is up in the 180's but not sure.
I travel to Asia every 3 weeks and I can tell you now that they are becoming more affluent everyday. They love having something nobody else has and when they start buying GT's, my guess is they will buy up half the GT's in North America.
For those of us left who love our cars too much to sell, they will be worth a bundle.
Doesn't matter what they're worth because owning one already puts you in a very small club!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would refer to the buyer's premium as part of the sale price. Now the seller's premium.......that is a tax in my mind.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would refer to the buyer's premium as part of the sale price.

Absolutely. Sales tax must be paid on the hammer price (unless you are a dealer). Including the buyer's premium and taxes, that car "cost" about $180,000. Deals can be had at auto auctions, particularly on late model cars, but you really must know what you are doing to avoid getting burned. Many prefer to buy from a reputable dealer and pay a modest premium to avoid any potential problems. Factoring in the cost of traveling to the auction, lodging, etc., the red car really wasn't a bargain at all.

Treviso

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2012
Metro Detroit
That is a very good point. The other thing is how do you know if the car has been in an accident or not? No way to put it up on a lift to know for certain. There is so much smoke and mirrors that goes along with these types of cars and so many have been totalled with a 100 miles on them...you have to be very careful. The same goes for Dodge Vipers...lots of them have been destroyed and put back together without anyone knowing it and unless you get it up and look underneath and really know these cars, you would never know it. No insurance reporting=clean Carfax and Autocheck.
That is the main reason for my paying the premium. While there are some cheaper cars to be had, dealing with Shelby is a no brainer. When he tells you that the car is spotless with no stories...that is what you get. It is like buying an insurance policy. With the kind of work that I do, I just don't have time to fly down to look at cars. Shelby does the looking for me and I am happy to pay him for it. He just doesn't ever let you down and has an incredible reputation in a business that very few others can say the same.
Funny story: The driver who shipped my Porsche Turbo S to me told me that he has witnessed Shelby going over every inch of a car with a magnifying glass and a flashlight!!! I think that it is worth the piece of mind to pay a little more. Besides, he is such a straight shooter...I just like dealing with him.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I was surprised to discover that a guy I worked with part time this summer at an exotic car club knew Shelby because he used to transport cars to and from Shelby's store. Without any prompting from me he had only the highest praise for Shelby and the demands that Shelby made of him regarding safety of the cars.

Howard

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida