Ford dealer installed wrong oil

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
SteveA-
A little late coming to this party but agree with what has been posted earlier. No harm, no foul if the moble 1 was drained and Motorcraft reinstalled.

I am a bit concerned at the thought process that if more oil companies start offering a 5W-50 then it is OK to go to their brand of oil just because they make the OEM specified multi-viscosity WEIGHT. There are many other factors to consider in choosing an oil besides weight. Just because 5 other oil companies now brand and sell that viscosity range oil at my local Wal-Mart does not alter my desire to continue to use an oil which is a) recommended by my engine manufacturer who certainly knows my engine needs best b) removes any engine warranty claim challenges and c) is continuously spot checked by Ford by engine testing as part of its vendor oversight program to assure we continue to get an oil and additive package identical to that used for the engine durability certification testing.

As I have said before (IMO) if you can afford your FGT, you can certainly afford to use the Ford recommended fluids. They are to a large extent unique to our specific automobile application.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
SteveA-
A little late coming to this party but agree with what has been posted earlier. No harm, no foul if the moble 1 was drained and Motorcraft reinstalled.

I am a bit concerned at the thought process that if more oil companies start offering a 5W-50 then it is OK to go to their brand of oil just because they make the OEM specified multi-viscosity WEIGHT. There are many other factors to consider in choosing an oil besides weight. Just because 5 other oil companies now brand and sell that viscosity range oil at my local Wal-Mart does not alter my desire to continue to use an oil which is a) recommended by my engine manufacturer who certainly knows my engine needs best b) removes any engine warranty claim challenges and c) is continuously spot checked by Ford by engine testing as part of its vendor oversight program to assure we continue to get an oil and additive package identical to that used for the engine durability certification testing.

As I have said before (IMO) if you can afford your FGT, you can certainly afford to use the Ford recommended fluids. They are to a large extent unique to our specific automobile application.

+1

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Following that logic, if you can afford a GT, you can afford a good radio for it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Following that logic, if you can afford a GT, you can afford a good radio for it.

If you can afford a GT, you can afford to do as you please.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm pulling Indy's chain.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yea, Frank's always pulling my chain.

Luckily I was able to order mine without the Mac.
But the standard radio with 24 hour clock and no seek/scan really sucks.

Listen to the Borla most of the time anyway.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
All good stuff. However for me cost wouldn't be a large factor in passing on Ford 5W 50 as much as availability. IMO if Mobil or Castrol come out with 5W 50 I think I would be covered quality wise. I plan on doing a lot of my own service and even in So Cal many dealers don't stock it.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
All good stuff. However for me cost wouldn't be a large factor in passing on Ford 5W 50 as much as availability. IMO if Mobil or Castrol come out with 5W 50 I think I would be covered quality wise. I plan on doing a lot of my own service and even in So Cal many dealers don't stock it.

+1

Thus my question if anybody has found an outlet besides a Ford dealer to purchase the Motorcraft oil. I am hoping I don't also have to pay for the shipping charges directly as well (no slight meant Mr. McPhail :wink).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Castrol has had a 5w-50 for some time.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
If you can afford a GT, you can afford to do as you please.

:lol

Quite right... :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Here is where I go to get answers on oil....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Great calculators, tests of filters, information where to have your oil analyzed etc.

Last edited: