Ford dealer installed wrong oil

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
I recently took my FGT to a local Ford dealer to have the axle bolt upgrade performed. I had the dealer do an engine oil and filter change service at the same time. Last night I happened to read the repair order and to my dismay I see that the dealer used Mobil 1 15W50! Should I be concerned? BTW, I specifically requested that the service adviser be sure that the tech use the recommended Motorcraft # XO-5W50-QGT oil!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If it was my car - I would get it out ASAP.

John at Accufab tested different oils to find the Ford (Conoco supplied) is the best performing.

What I would be worried about is the differences between the two manufactures. Synthetic is a "big" group, many having totally different properties and residual affect if you move from one to another...

Good luck.

PS - Find a real service dealer

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Get it changed

I agree with Mike!
I would take it back to the dealer and (forcefully if necessary) request the oil be drained and changed to the OEM Motorcraft oil.

They screwed up and after you specifically told them to use the Motorcraft oil, I would hope they would not challenge the request......

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I would get it out and they need to acknowledge it in writing . I think it's a warranty issue if you do not use the Ford Oil? So they may have violated it ??
Check the manual and be educated before you talk to them .. Probably no damaged has been done but I would to have their screw up documented. Who knows. If there are motor issues down the road it would be wise to have this documented... just my 2 cent...:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would get it out and they need to acknowledge it in writing . I think it's a warranty issue if you do not use the Ford Oil? So they may have violated it ??
Check the manual and be educated before you talk to them .. Probably no damaged has been done but I would to have their screw up documented. Who knows. If there are motor issues down the road it would be wise to have this documented... just my 2 cent...:wink

+1

At least your belly pans and frame rails are OK, right?

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the input Mr. Mad & Mr. Indy! Before I called the dealer to complain I wanted to get some insight here on the forum. I thought that certainly a Ford dealer (which was recommended by other GT owners) would use the correct Ford oil without me instructing them to do so. However, being a little paranoid, I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it. Apparently my concern at the time was reasonable. Not that it did me any good. BTW, I researched for some time to determine which Ford dealer to use for service and when I took my car in there were 4 other FGT's in getting serviced at the same time.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the input Mr. Mad & Mr. Indy! Before I called the dealer to complain I wanted to get some insight here on the forum. I thought that certainly a Ford dealer (which was recommended by other GT owners) would use the correct Ford oil without me instructing them to do so. However, being a little paranoid, I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it. Apparently my concern at the time was reasonable. Not that it did me any good. BTW, I researched for some time to determine which Ford dealer to use for service and when I took my car in there were 4 other FGT's in getting serviced at the same time.

At least tell the dealer that going forward you want a real GT service tech not a Focus tech. :rofl or, have them banish the tech to truck land. If they don't respond properly use the weight of the Forum (not the moderator) to help you!

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA

Thanks for the advice Stormcat. I was worried about the warranty aspect also!!! I was not going to mention it on the forum because I did not want to come off as a whiner. I agree that it is doubtful that any damage has occurred. Mobil 1 is a fine oil, it's just not the right oil, nor the right wt. (15W50). I will take your advice and check the manual. If recall the manual does say to use the Motorcraft 5W50.

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
+1

At least your belly pans and frame rails are OK, right?

Believe me ICE Man, I will be checking the belly pans when I get home from work tonight! I'm keeping my fingers crossed (maakes it dfficult to type).

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Thanks for the advice Stormcat. I was worried about the warranty aspect also!!! I was not going to mention it on the forum because I did not want to come off as a whiner. I agree that it is doubtful that any damage has occurred. Mobil 1 is a fine oil, it's just not the right oil, nor the right wt. (15W50). I will take your advice and check the manual. If recall the manual does say to use the Motorcraft 5W50.

This oil will not harm the motor in So. Cal. IMO

I would be concerned with the 15W starting weight in the cold climates though. And maybe for torlerences until warm. But given the 50W top end, I doubt tolerances are an issue. The 50W is spec for the cars and it will be the same when the car is warm.

Until you drain it for the proper starting weight, (which BTW is a national avg. If they only sold GT's in Palm springs and did not care about EPA ratings they may have used a 10w to begin with. ). Let it idle longer to warm up. Once you are at operting temp it will not do any damage.

I think we are are a little paranoid about the oils. I have been selling motor oils for nearly 30 years, been to many labs and on many plant tours, dyno tests, wear tests, etc. The specs can be different in each blend, but the Mobil 1 is one of the best in the industry for an alum motor. And for the record Motorcraft does not blend any oils or chemicals. They are all private labeled something else.

Keep in mind this Motorcraft weight is odd and Ford does not use it in anything else high production. It will be gone ( not available in motorcraft) in a few years and we will all be using something else anyway. Until then, I will use the Motorcraft, with Mobil 1 being my second choice.

Don't panic...just have them order the spec stuff and change it again.

Daltondavid

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2007
Garnet Valley, Pa.
Thanks for your industry insight! this also holds true with Gas stations (The label issue) I am told from friends who run Fuel trucks delivering the stuff!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
.............Ford does not use it in anything else high production. It will be gone ( not available in motorcraft) in a few years and we will all be using something else anyway............

Cobrar - I thought they were using the same oil in the GT500.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

You know if the shoe was on the other foot what would happen. If you maintained your car with Mobil 1 and developed a motor issue you know they would say " Well Mr. Gill you did not use the Specified Ford Gt oil , which is the only oil on the market that meets that specification ,so we cannot honor the warranty "

Not saying this would be the case but it maybe their argument. Optional oils have been discussed here but it's really a guess on if there are any that are better ?? So why take a chance ?? Just my 2 cents so now i'm up to 4cents...:biggrin

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
You know if the shoe was on the other foot what would happen. If you maintained your car with Mobil 1 and developed a motor issue you know they would say " Well Mr. Gill you did not use the Specified Ford Gt oil , which is the only oil on the market that meets that specification ,so we cannot honor the warranty "

Not saying this would be the case but it maybe their argument. Optional oils have been discussed here but it's really a guess on if there are any that are better ?? So why take a chance ?? Just my 2 cents so now i'm up to 4cents...:biggrin

Stormcat,

I will gladly send you a check for 4 cents! :thumbsup

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
This oil will not harm the motor in So. Cal. IMO

I would be concerned with the 15W starting weight in the cold climates though. And maybe for torlerences until warm. But given the 50W top end, I doubt tolerances are an issue. The 50W is spec for the cars and it will be the same when the car is warm.

Until you drain it for the proper starting weight, (which BTW is a national avg. If they only sold GT's in Palm springs and did not care about EPA ratings they may have used a 10w to begin with. ). Let it idle longer to warm up. Once you are at operting temp it will not do any damage.

I think we are are a little paranoid about the oils. I have been selling motor oils for nearly 30 years, been to many labs and on many plant tours, dyno tests, wear tests, etc. The specs can be different in each blend, but the Mobil 1 is one of the best in the industry for an alum motor. And for the record Motorcraft does not blend any oils or chemicals. They are all private labeled something else.

Keep in mind this Motorcraft weight is odd and Ford does not use it in anything else high production. It will be gone ( not available in motorcraft) in a few years and we will all be using something else anyway. Until then, I will use the Motorcraft, with Mobil 1 being my second choice.

Don't panic...just have them order the spec stuff and change it again.

Thanks for your advice and input. I agree that with our warm weather there should not be any reason to panic. Especially if the engine is up to operating temperature - which it is every time before I drive it. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to discuss this issue.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SPECIAL NOTE: In my Dealership I require Oil to Be changed on Ford GT's and Shelby500 Mustangs by my Top Tech only and not by the Lube rack person. Everyone needs to be sure the servicing dealer has the right person changing oils as they both require SPECIAL OILS. Tomy Hamon

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
SPECIAL NOTE: In my Dealership I require Oil to Be changed on Ford GT's and Shelby500 Mustangs by my Top Tech only and not by the Lube rack person. Everyone needs to be sure the servicing dealer has the right person changing oils as they both require SPECIAL OILS. Tomy Hamon

Tomy,

The dealer that I went to has 1 mechanic that works on all of the GT's that they service. They even have a separate building for GT service. No-one other than this one mechanic supposedly touches the car. I did a lot of research before deciding to use this dealer. They have serviced many FGT's. I think that the owner of the dealership has 2 or 3 himself. They profess to be highly proficient with GT service. That's why I was so surprised to see them use the wrong oil.

Gill

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Gill, You know you did more than most of would have thought to say and call attention too. This Dealer is obvious set up to properly service your GT but a slight mistake was made. We're not always perfect and noone is. My GT tech told me a quick change with the correct oil will fix the mistake and no damage caused. Often Dealerships with bulk overhead (oil) filler systems need to be careful but specialty synthetic oil is only sold in individual containers and no in bulk which helps to not make a mistake. Enough said, good luck as we say no problemo. Tomy

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Maybe the repair order is incorrect.

Most tech's are way more detailed with there work than the proper documentation. Talk to the tech if he did it wrong he will know and there will be a paper trail from the parts dept.

Mistakes happen, better in a service department than the operating room. Thats for sure.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Most tech's are way more detailed with there work than the proper documentation. Talk to the tech if he did it wrong he will know and there will be a paper trail from the parts dept.

Mistakes happen, better in a service department than the operating room. Thats for sure.

I agree. Talk DIRECTLY with the tech first not just the service adviser and see what oil he put it. It may just be billed on the ticket wrong, but mistakes do happen. If he does a lot of GT work, and it sounds like that dealer does, I would be surprised that he would put in that oil, but you want to be sure.