Ford dealer installed wrong oil

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Tomy,

The dealer that I went to has 1 mechanic that works on all of the GT's that they service. They even have a separate building for GT service. No-one other than this one mechanic supposedly touches the car. I did a lot of research before deciding to use this dealer. They have serviced many FGT's. I think that the owner of the dealership has 2 or 3 himself. They profess to be highly proficient with GT service. That's why I was so surprised to see them use the wrong oil.

Gill

Uh oh! I just had one serviced there last month. They treated the car well but I didn't look close at the order for the oil weight...................................................................................................................................................... holy crap, I just checked and I got 15/50 as well!:bored

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Uh oh! I just had one serviced there last month. They treated the car well but I didn't look close at the order for the oil weight...................................................................................................................................................... holy crap, I just checked and I got 15/50 as well!:bored

Tech Gone Wild! :rofl:rofl:rofl

no wonder it was a $24.99 Oil Change! :bored

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'm just wondering here but is there a chance that they don't have the 5/50 in the computer and they just select a comparable oil so the price comes out correctly? Just a thought

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Matt...
my thoughts exactly... :)

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Did you check th oil level, maybe they got that wrong too.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Don't be surprised if you are told the correct oil was installed and it was mis-identified on the invoice...and you will always wonder because sh!t happens. I ordered several cases of the oil and filters and even though our preferred Atlanta Dealer (Team Ford of Marietta) also stocks the correct oil, I bring a case of the oil and a filter for each oil change. I agree with the comments that minimize the negative effects of Mobil 1 being installed, but I would get it out, and I would do it at a different dealer or use one of the talented local private sources for your service needs. If this dealer made that mistake, IMO they don't deserve your business. :cheers

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
Update

Well, I called the dealer today and was informed that yes they used Mobil 1 15W50. Was told that they have used it on all FGT's that they have serviced. After I mentioned that this was the wrong oil and that it would technically void the warranty I was told, "Mobil 1 15W50 is the recommended oil. It is the same oil as the Ford (Motorcraft) oil. I can get it in writing that Mobil 1 15W50 is approved for use in the GT and it will not void your warranty." I said, "If you get it in writing I'll be happy". Needless to say, I got a call back about an hour later from the dealership offering to change out the oil and install the Motorcraft 5W50 at no cost. Apparently they weren't able to get written documentation approving Mobil 1 after all. I applaud the dealer for this offer. However, call me cynical, but I've worked for many car dealerships (Ferrari, M.B., BMW., etc.) and have seen first hand deceptive repairs. Unless they let me watch the oil being changed I will probably just ask them to let me have the 10 qts. and I'll change it myself. At least the dealership is stepping up and admitting their mistake.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FordGT and Ford Shelby500 vehicles use FORD MOTORCRAFT 5W50 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL and it is labeled by Ford. Tomy Hamon PS thats all we use.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well, I called the dealer today and was informed that yes they used Mobil 1 15W50. Was told that they have used it on all FGT's that they have serviced. After I mentioned that this was the wrong oil and that it would technically void the warranty I was told, "Mobil 1 15W50 is the recommended oil... Apparently they weren't able to get written documentation approving Mobil 1 after all.

So what happens to engine warrantees of all of the FGTs that they have been servicing? The good thing this dealer is in So. Cal where the weather never too cold. If this happened in N. Dakota there may be some issues, less so in warm So. Cal.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Update:

I called Chris the service writer at the dealer in question (Gill chose not to mention their name so I will follow suit).
Chris spoke to his GT tech and was told "15W 50 is the oil they use on all GT's they service including the 3 GTs the owner of the dealer has". He also stated that the factory rep didn't think the 15W 50 was an issue either. However Chris did say that if I were uncomfortable with the oil they would swap it out with the Ford 5W 50 while I waited and watched. He also asked if I would post this so if anyone else was concerned they could do the same.
I then called Rich Brooks (The GT Guys) and asked for his opinion and he believes changing out the oil would be a good idea, if for no other reason than if I hurt the motor and Ford performed an oil test, oil would be remove from the equation.
I will have the oil changed out.
IMO, after the oil in question was installed, this dealer has handled my concerns perfectly.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
IMO, after the oil in question was installed, this dealer has handled my concerns perfectly.

Admittedly, the dealership in question is handling this well - standing up to their mistake and doing their best to make it good.

However, it is still VERY careless to be servicing a $180,000 car and not bother to check that they were using the correct engine oil. This would be outrageous for any service facility - but this is even a Ford dealership. Not cool.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Admittedly, the dealership in question is handling this well - standing up to their mistake and doing their best to make it good.

However, it is still VERY careless to be servicing a $180,000 car and not bother to check that they were using the correct engine oil. This would be outrageous for any service facility - but this is even a Ford dealership. Not cool.

I got the impression that their tech does believe that the 15W 50 is a proper oil that can be use and didn't just screw up and put the wrong oil in. Even Rich didn't think it was a huge issue but as already posted thought it should be swapped out.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Glad the dealer handled it without a problem. In a warm weather climate the 15w-50 would not be a problem and Mobil 1 is of course a quality oil, but I agree that it needs to be changed. I only use the 5w-50 in every Gt even though I have never had a owner ask what I was going to use. As far as a dealership they should be only using what Ford recommends and I think owners are assuming that is what they are going to get from there dealer. While we are on the oil change subject with warranty issues. For those of you who are not having there oil changes done at a dealer who can keep records of it you need to be sure you are keeping receipts from the outside shop who is doing your oil change or if you are doing it yourself keep receipts from when you bought your oil and filter and keep a log of when you do the oil changes with the receipts. If, and lets hope never, you ever have a base engine problem where a complete engine is going to need to be warranted Ford can and most likely will ask to see oil change records for the life of the car.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
From experience Ford will ask for proof of general maintenance and oil changes in a warranty problem situation. YOU MUST PROOVE IT BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. Always keep receipts and good records. I agree with (SFLGT) customers who use a Ford Dealer expect the Dealer to be using FORD PARTS AND OIL unless told or posted different.Tomy Hamon

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Conocophillips makes the oil for FoMoCo and is not going to discontinue its manufacture. If we want we can get a group buy on the oil branded CP but with the Ford spec. Its nothing more than a trip to Bartlesville to the regional.

Oh BTW. Frank I still have your case and filters here in my garage. Sorry ... bald moment.

S

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Well...this brings up a question. Besides a Ford dealer, has anybody found a different source for the required oil?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well...this brings up a question. Besides a Ford dealer, has anybody found a different source for the required oil?

The only other quart bottles of 5w-50 I have found in the US is Castrol Syntec. I have only used the Motorcraft oil so far. Conoco Phillips will sell the same 5w-50, but only in large quantities, like 500 gallons! Group buy?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My father just purchased a X 5 BMW with the large V-8. He says BMW recommends 5W 50 as well and understands that Pep Boys sells it in the Castrol brand. IMO more and more Mfg's are going to spec this weight so getting it should become easier with more brand options as time goes on.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

I always stock it.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

:agree: