Ford, Aston Martin Receive Weight Breaks in BoP Shakeup for 24H Le Mans

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...weight-breaks-in-bop-shakeup-for-24h-le-mans/

It's a start. No change in boost though, so the GT will still be at a major power disadvantage. I mean, I don't know how to explain it other than a smaller displacement engine with less boost is going to be at a serious disadvantage on a race track.

Aston Martin -20kg (1190 kg)
Ford GT -20kg (1240 kg)
Ferrari 488 +10kg (1250 kg)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Somebody thinks it's all about aero. ;-))

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You can have all the aero you want, but if you're getting drilled on corner exit and acceleration...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Agreed. It is a start.
And it does take horsepower to make the aero work.
Aero does produce downforce BUT the aero also produces aerodynamic drag (which goes up with speed squared) and thus takes a lot of horsepower to create the downforce....

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...weight-breaks-in-bop-shakeup-for-24h-le-mans/

It's a start. No change in boost though, so the GT will still be at a major power disadvantage. I mean, I don't know how to explain it other than a smaller displacement engine with less boost is going to be at a serious disadvantage on a race track.

Aston Martin -20kg (1190 kg)
Ford GT -20kg (1240 kg)
Ferrari 488 +10kg (1250 kg)

IT is really sad to see design innovation and breakthrough aerodynamic technology rewarded with a horsepower penalty. Reminds me of NASCAR where a
new engine cylinder head gets an aero penalty if it works. I understand that they want close racing but why stifle technology? I assume there may be some politics involved too.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
IT is really sad to see design innovation and breakthrough aerodynamic technology rewarded with a horsepower penalty. Reminds me of NASCAR where a new engine cylinder head gets an aero penalty if it works. I understand that they want close racing but why stifle technology? I assume there may be some politics involved too.

Whole bunch of that.

I really think there's also an element of "look at that thing, it's unfair." Boo hoo.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
They seem to want the weight around 2700 lbs. What are the horsepower limits for the different cars in the GT's class?

Ed

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
When do the LeMans tests begin?

Isn't it a two step process?

What are the Corvette comparables?

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This Sunday.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
For those nterested, a primer on aero: http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140819-carmakers-slippery-new-buzzword

Might pay attention to some of the more subtle mentions of active aero & 'hidden in plain sight.' Good thought starters.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Remember...

FIA stands for Ferrari International Assistance.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That's funny! Wonder how much those monthly payments are? ;-))

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I really think there's also an element of "look at that thing, it's unfair." Boo hoo.

I've read a bunch of that nonsense. "It's barely a street legal race car," "cheater car," etc. Ford should compile all these complaints and use in the street car's promo material. For this very reason the new GT is very close in concept to the original GTs. Barely street legal race car, cheater car? Yeah, I want that.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
You can have all the aero you want, but if you're getting drilled on corner exit and acceleration...

Gentlemen,

This is so frustrating. Ford develops a new GT specifically to race and win at Le Mans only to have the car's design superiority nullified by mandated weight increases and power restrictions. This is like making Usain Bolt wear ankle weights at the Olympics because his 200M dash times were too fast.

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Gentlemen,

This is so frustrating. Ford develops a new GT specifically to race and win at Le Mans only to have the car's design superiority nullified by mandated weight increases and power restrictions. This is like making Usain Bolt wear ankle weights at the Olympics because his 200M dash times were too fast.

Chip

Much like everything else in today's world, redistribute to equalize the field.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Very frustrating to say the least. I hope they find a way to kick some butt!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Much like everything else in today's world, redistribute to equalize the field.

You mean like with our taxes?

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You mean like with our taxes?

Ed

I can't say it's not PC.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wait a minute, like E=mc squared? Where c=speed of light?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Is there another article which talks about which cars have had their power dialed back relative to the class? Thnx