Ford, Aston Martin Receive Weight Breaks in BoP Shakeup for 24H Le Mans

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Don't worry about the power. If the aero is that good and efficient it'll do well as it'll use less fuel.

You win Le Mans by stopping less, that's why it was all diesel Audi's winning until the ACO tweaked the rules.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Is there another article which talks about which cars have had their power dialed back relative to the class? Thnx

From what I remember awhile back the GT was the only one to have the boost restriction throughout the RPM.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
On a positive note. Less weight has in advantage in three areas . Acceleration, Braking and turning this equates to less brake and tire wear. more power is only an improvement in acceleration.
Hopefully the teams will find the right balance of downforce vs drag to minimize wind resistance and get more MPG at speed .. Lighter and efficiency to run longer is s a good recipe for success in a 24 hour race. The GT team won Laguna Seca with good fuel management and some rookie just won Indy by being miserly... :biggrin

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
well, today was the first day of testing for the 24H and it didn't look too good for the GTs time wise....Maybe they were working on tires/setup...I hope!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
On a positive note. Less weight has in advantage in three areas . Acceleration, Braking and turning this equates to less brake and tire wear. more power is only an improvement in acceleration.
Hopefully the teams will find the right balance of downforce vs drag to minimize wind resistance and get more MPG at speed .. Lighter and efficiency to run longer is s a good recipe for success in a 24 hour race. The GT team won Laguna Seca with good fuel management and some rookie just won Indy by being miserly... :biggrin

Your glass is half full! ;-))

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
well, today was the first day of testing for the 24H and it didn't look too good for the GTs time wise....Maybe they were working on tires/setup...I hope!

I wouldn't read too much into the times. When you look at the class as a whole there was less than two seconds covering the whole class of 14 cars which in a nearly four minute lap is less than 1% - pretty darn close. As long as the cars are on this pace it'll come down to who spends the least time in the pits. So reliability and/or fuel economy will most likely be the deciding factors.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Endurance races aren't won by sheer horsepower or super-fast lap times: they're won by reliability and consistency. As the old cliche states "to finish first, first finish". If Ford can keep the cars running we'll do well.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
The tiny time difference between all of the same class car, makes me think :
- Either the calcul of the BoP is so perfect that it equalizes exactly the performance. But I do not imagine such a perfect result.
- Either everyone hides his game before the race, or to lull competitors, or to avoid a last modified BoP, much unfavorable. I believe more in that second hypothesis.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Your glass is half full! ;-))

Absodamlutly .. :biggrin

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013