First Annual Mojave Mile Event

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Follow the Bouncing........... YES put me on the list!

Which Simpson Helmet would you get?

Super Bandit
Vents and stall strips control air stream to reduce lift and buffeting, increased cooling.
Adjustable intake vents on forehead and air ram ducts on chin for air flow control.
Standard .125 clear Lexan shield opens with thumb tab; detents hold shield in desired open position.
Optional Smoked, Polarized and High Resol Amber shields available separately.
Lightweight high gloss aerodynamic shell with SAT feature T-38.
Exclusive impact absorbing one-piece EPS liner.
Adjustable tear-offs.
SB Y with nylon liner meets Snell M standards.
SB N with Nomex® liner meets Snell SA standards.
Snell 2005 Certified
K05 Certified

Diamondback
Snell 2005 certified
Unique Chin Bar and Crowndesign, Lightweight Carbon, Kevlar and Fiberglass composite shell, diamondpattern crown design
Standard equipped with a Clear shield, optional dark and replacement shields are available.
Chin air ram ducts with distinct contrasting vents
Aerodynamic Counter Measures(A.C.M.) for increased stability
Exclusive impact absorbing liner with form fitting, fire-resistant lining
Side pipe option available
Shields are anti-fog with hard coating

I like the Diamondback it looks cool!

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Happy Feet,

Just my personal choice, I ONLY buy Bell Helmets for automobile racing. I DO have an ARAI for motorcycle riding.

I'll tell you about Simpson (back when Bill Simpson was in charge) but only face to face. Nothing in writing.

Richard Hille
The GT School

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Count me in!

I just order the needed items from COBRAR1339: seat belts, belt clips, harness bars, FE bracket and a black wrinkle finish FE from Safecraft. Lacking the Snell 2000 Helmet. Any sugestion on a good helmet to pick?

P.S. I will bring my chick in my avatar if Chris brings his.

Happy

Are these extra seatbelt things required?

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
ObeyMyFast,

The rules have not yet been posted, but any time you are going this fast it is a really good idea to have a racing harness rather than the very marginal factory safety belts. I've personally crashed at 140 mph in a 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra set up for Unlimited Class Open Road Racing. I was very thankful for my rollcage and five point racing harness. I walked away from this very serious wreck with bruises and a sore ankle.

These GTs are capable of very high speeds in the Mile acceleration events. That's one of the reasons we love them. A simple tire failure at 170+ MPH could make for a dangerous situation where you would truly appreciate being held securely in place by a proper harness.

I require the racing harnesses for all my GT School students.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Hello ObeyMyFast

Nobody ever likes to face the thought of an accident, but if it happens make sure your ass is bolted down nice and secure with a good harness and a Snell 2005 SA brain bucket secured to your head. The Fire Extinguisher is require under the Texas mile rules, which is not a bad idea, again contingency in a event of a loom up and your ass is on fire! I don't like even like thinking about this stuff, but someone has and made these rules. I am just following safety rules.

Happy

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Hello ObeyMyFast

Nobody ever likes to face the thought of an accident, but if it happens make sure your ass is bolted down nice and secure with a good harness and a Snell 2005 SA brain bucket secured to your head. The Fire Extinguisher is require under the Texas mile rules, which is not a bad idea, again contingency in a event of a loom up and your ass is on fire! I don't like even like thinking about this stuff, but someone has and made these rules. I am just following safety rules.

Happy

I looked up the fire extinguisher yesterday, as it and the gloves are the only "texas mile rules" items that I am missing. Once you install your extinguisher post some pics of how it looks and how hard (or hopefully easy) it was to install.

I feel like a bobblehead when I look at your avatar!! :cheers

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Hello skyrex

I got all my stuff from:

Ford GT Parts
Don Wagner
dwagner302@yahoo.com
818422-1854

Here are some links that help me the first talks about the rules the second are pics of the belts (they are really cool looking), harness bars and Fire Extinguisher mount bracket and can. I got the wrinkle black as well.

Check it out.

Happy

Rules
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16204

Pics

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15508&page=5

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Im not absolutely sure if I will be running... im not really experienced at high speeds :( (anybody have any input on this? No racing experience, etc...)

In addition, what are the odds of this falling apart? (knock on wood) Have they figured out insurance stuff?

I might try to get a Veyron owner to come though...

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Im not absolutely sure if I will be running... im not really experienced at high speeds :( (anybody have any input on this? No racing experience, etc...)

In addition, what are the odds of this falling apart? (knock on wood) Have they figured out insurance stuff?

I might try to get a Veyron owner to come though...

I am going to re-post someothing I said on another thread. Everyone who has hit the high dollar mark in their GT will tell you that it is incredibly stable at speed and after the first run you will have no stress about it whatsover. You will have fun, but no stress. It is just doing something new for the first time.

That said, regardless of the capabilities of the car or how fast other GT drivers go you should keep yourself within the comfort of your capabilities. I am sure that the end results (mile per hour) for runs at the Texas Mile event were all over the map. Different drivers have different comfort levels. This type of event is a great controlled way to find yours, if you want to. It is a long straight line. I think you would have fun, but maybe you should watch the first annual event to see how things work and how others do in person then participate in the second annual event. (I am quite optimitic that this will happen this year and in the future :wink ) Good luck with your choice and make the right one for you. :cheers

By the way I have seen you mention safety equipment in previous posts. Whatever the safety equipment requirements end up being there are options (for harnesses, fire extinguishers, etc...) that are completely reversable and do not harm your car. Don't let that stress you out either.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wanted to do the TX mile before deciding on this event. The conditions at the TX mile were BAD, temps 100-110F on the track! This caused a big drop in power for the Whipple powered cars. I was only able to reach 180 mph. I hope the condition will be better for this event. I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the car was a 180. I didn't even notice the speed.

I any case I am looking into buying some insurance against hot weather, a ice box and booster pump that the intercooler coolant would run through during the mile run. Shadowman gave me the idea. Now I have to see if he is interested in building a system. My rough calculation show that a 2 to 3 gal mix of 50/50 ice to water should be more than enough for a mile. The power gains should be substantial. It system would mount in the front trunk area.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I wanted to do the TX mile before deciding on this event. The conditions at the TX mile were BAD, temps 100-110F on the track! This caused a big drop in power for the Whipple powered cars. I was only able to reach 180 mph. I hope the condition will be better for this event. I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the car was a 180. I didn't even notice the speed.

I any case I am looking into buying some insurance against hot weather, a ice box and booster pump that the intercooler coolant would run through during the mile run. Shadowman gave me the idea. Now I have to see if he is interested in building a system. My rough calculation show that a 2 to 3 gal mix of 50/50 ice to water should be more than enough for a mile. The power gains should be substantial. It system would mount in the front trunk area.

I would be shocked if temperature is a factor. That time of year in the desert you will be looking at low 50's to high 40's in the am and I would be shocked if it got any hotter than mid 60's by afternoon. Last year the GT school was downright chilly in the morning and it gave way to a nice low 60's day by afternoon.

Of course now that I wrote that post I have doomed us to an unseasonably warm 90+ day. :lol

Sounds like an interesting system though. :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I would be shocked if temperature is a factor. That time of year in the desert you will be looking at low 50's to high 40's in the am and I would be shocked if it got any hotter than mid 60's by afternoon. Last year the GT school was downright chilly in the morning and it gave way to a nice low 60's day by afternoon.

Of course now that I wrote that post I have doomed us to an unseasonably warm 90+ day. :lol

Sounds like an interesting system though. :cheers

If it's that cool the ice box would't do that much. I sure could have used one in TX.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Like Clinton, I wanted to try Texas first. But I would be interested in trying again. Cool desert air sounds like a lot of fun.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Count me IN as well :biggrin

They haven't released the march TX Mile dates yet so hopefully they won't conflict...

Chip said he would be there if I went so sign up CHIP :cheers

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I may have missed it, how are they measuring speed?

Mar 15, 2006
Texas Mile uses timing lights which is the only way to accurately measure speed at the mile. Other places that use a radar gun is a total waste of time as this method is highly inacurate. I ran 200 mph! - Oops that was at 6000 ft. not at 5280.....

Let's hope that they do it right and invest in proper timing equipment.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Texas Mile uses timing lights which is the only way to accurately measure speed at the mile. Other places that use a radar gun is a total waste of time as this method is highly inacurate. I ran 200 mph! - Oops that was at 6000 ft. not at 5280.....

Let's hope that they do it right and invest in proper timing equipment.

I ran the Driftbox I bought from you and the results very closely match my timing slips! One matched to the 5 digit! Of course the data could be fudged and we would have to rely on the honestly policy.

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
The vboxes are pretty close but not 100%. On my 226.2 mph run it showed 223.1

for the speeds to be "official" there needs to be proper timing lights as John said.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The vboxes are pretty close but not 100%. On my 226.2 mph run it showed 223.1

for the speeds to be "official" there needs to be proper timing lights as John said.

You must have went too fast for the vbox to keep up. :biggrin

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I may have missed it, how are they measuring speed?

at the HIGH Roller Mile Shootout last year...... the way they measured speed was exactly the same way the Texas Mile does it. so i would assume that MKM will be measuring speed at the Mojave Mile the same way they did at Nellis AFB last year :cheers