Electric cars and the impact on the environment

Awsum GT

GT Owner '05 & '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Central California
NOT bogus... read it in a few car magazines and talked to some Porsche employees and they verified the suicide doors are gone.

BC6C3336-7E80-4DD4-A98E-DDE369661565.jpg

Here is some information on their chargers... sounds like they may have some around highways... not sure 160+/- willo be enough for the US highways... guess it depends where they place them.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/16/porsche-ev-charging-network-north-america-mission-e/

Here are some spy photos they say are of the new Taycan close to what it will look like... They screwed it up in my opinion. If this is what it will look like, I'm out.

76C9270E-15DF-449E-AA06-39D973A6F62C.jpeg

BF60819E-FAB4-4980-A416-E359AC61D33E.jpeg

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well then...evidentially the suicide doors are now gone AND (judging from the photo of the red car) they had to mess with the grille a little bit, too (unless what looks like changes are simply shadows). My bet is they've probably messed with the car's interior as well.

At this point things aren't looking at all promising.

(Edit: 'Just saw the photos you added. The black car's nose looks even worse than the one on the red car. I agree with you. If that is what the car will actually look like, we're "out", too.) (WHY couldn't Porsche have just left the concept car alone.)

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The original Taycan concept looked great. Those spy shots not so much. Regardless, I am sure Porsche will still sell a bunch of them due to nothing more than the electric drivetrain.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Just in time to be ranked one of the worst brands by Consumer Reports
http://www.autonews.com/article/20181024/RETAIL/181029858/

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
How is this even possible? What about the number of chassis welds?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
A great achievement despite all the problems and the nasayers. Still a long way to go to sort out all the hassles. Let's see how the future is gonna be.

The least that can be said is he has successfully pushed the traditional oems to seriously consider going towards electric and speeding up their schedules. Looking forward to the era of torque (instant and enough).

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Epic!!

Liquidating assets to save up...
If $400K then our GTs will all pop to $300K for entry into GT CLUB
People will dump other non-GT cars to fund this purchase

Once they are on road it's going to be hard to look at other rides in stable....

Gorgeous is just hard to resist
EPIC PICS

selling, liquidating, dumping everything not nailed down or with a pulse
It's freaking gorgeous

Ferrari can't come out with another insect inspired model with 3 tailpipes, with a straight face after this ...
wait till 2nd yr, plenty avail. like last time
Unreal !!!

Selling everything

The '16 GT must be owned !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow!

After first 650, that's like first 6 mos of sales

This thing will be at msrp after first 300, it's $100K more and that's even less buyers
Welcome to the inflection point.

There arent that many buyers at $400K

Even at $150K GT's sat on lots til 2007; and that was with a booming economy, real estate, stock, private equity, VC, PE, HF market

What ever it prices at, 6 mo later cars will be dumped and flipped like any other asset.

Talk is cheap; $400K aint.
I'm not buying it.

$400K is a perverse, almost fetishistic price point for a new car with untested collectability, performance and even reliability.

One has no idea where this GT will end up; will it have strange Carrerra GT driving dynamics; weird LFA transmission/whine; SLR sales performance; not age well in looks?

Who knows?

Vast majority of $400K cars I have seen in last 10yrs are sitters; they sit in showrooms, storage warehouses, auction stages, and if lucky valet spots.

$400K is a strange price point and few makers have had success at it.
I saw the '17 Ford GT in person for first time at Petersen Museum Sat.

Its interesting.

It lacks the visceral, stunning, drop dead gorgeous, charisma of '05-'06 FORD GT.

More techno, sterile, skeletal, almost fragile image; with wide ovoid, tapezoidal, somewhat overly flush surface.
The supply of would-be low production exotic vehicle buyers is probably dropping faster than commodities...

Ageing poorly effects values as well; "dated design" with this center-pod, out-board wheels, ponton and over-wought designs cant last.
Well its design is already dated after a year....

This front angle just didnt work for me...all i see is one huge round disk

Rear looked too busy as well with skinny center fuselage

I think when one see it without car show pedestal, bright lights, internet shot angles, liquid blue v. in dim light, on regular floor, awkward thin stripes and in everyday perspective which will be what it looks like in your garage...then one will certainly say I paid $375,000 for this and sales tax of $35,000+ !!!!

Seeing in person is believing.
Nice shots

People in Cali who have seen the new GT at petersen museum / auto shows tell me they think it looks like every other new exotic...

While '05-'06 is Iconic

Unsolicited feedback ...
So much for the nasayers.....
Indeed. Careful who you listen to about their malleable long term prognostications regarding the auto industry.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wish it was $400,000. :lol

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Welcome to the inflection point.

Indeed. Careful who you listen to about their malleable long term prognostications regarding the auto industry.

Oooh. Brutal! :lol

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...uess-what-everyone-was-wrong-about-tesla/amp/

Have to separate signals from noise; ‘success theatre’ at big 3 is noise.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rh..._cYFQ05UKN5OVYqwzy7turuEyjMsg5IE7xGW-4lX7SDUg

I think this sums up the argument for EVs nicely. Even giving ICE cars every possible advantage, the EV produces less emissions from cradle to grave. As coal becomes less of a factor on our grid, the advantage only grows.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
EV's, Autonomous, driverless - what ever you want to call it, while sounding enticing, have serious limitations.

Wondering out loud what the EV owners in Malibu are going to do, while waiting for the power grid to be restored. Read today that some may have to wait another 4 weeks.

Price of electricity is going to sky rocket, as the liability of the two recent very large California fires, have been attributed to the electrical providers. And they have applied for emergency 'very large' rate increases. Billions of dollars.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
EV's, Autonomous, driverless - what ever you want to call it, while sounding enticing, have serious limitations.

Wondering out loud what the EV owners in Malibu are going to do, while waiting for the power grid to be restored. Read today that some may have to wait another 4 weeks.

Price of electricity is going to sky rocket, as the liability of the two recent very large California fires, have been attributed to the electrical providers. And they have applied for emergency 'very large' rate increases. Billions of dollars.
Sounds like its time to go solar.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '05 & '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Central California

guessing gas cars will have issues in fire areas where power is out without electricity to pump gas?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The source of ignition will be a footnote. Expect the Climate Change hysteria to ramp up significantly.

Taxing our economy into submission will of course replant the rainforests, reduce the billion extra humans we add to the planet every 12-15 years and stop the construction of coal-Fired electrical generation plants in that part of the world where the population booms unabated.

:bored

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, WA
Consumer Reports has put all Teslas in its "not recommended" column. Tesla announced Thursday that they would stop selling cars through dealerships and sell instead through the internet. And yesterday they had to pay $960M to buy out convertible bonds.

Musk also got his nuts in a vise with the SEC again. The guy may be brilliant but he keeps doing stupid stuff. Will his company survive him?

Nothing against electric drive per se, but I doubt Tesla will be the company that gets us there.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
No matter what happens with Tesla within the next years, I am quite sure without Musk/Tesla we would not be there yet. I am crossing fingers for them, because they achieve while everyone doubted it was possible to setup a car company from scratch. Still I see advantages for the big guys and I would love to have an EV that has interior quality comparable to Audi/Porsche.

Regarding the climate debate I am quite surprised about the differing views. Here in Europe photovoltaics are not questioned, most discussions arise about when. Of course there is a lot of FUD arguments from all those companies earning easy money from the old status quo having a hard time adapting.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Jeff,
I agree - the answer for many years to come is no single solution (e.g. petrol vs EV), but rather a combination. The above thread reminds me of the arguments regarding the production of ethanol (not as efficient as "pure" gasoline, needs to be subsidized by govt, impacts to the environment, etc.). The reality is our species is trying multi-faceted solutions to address a host of growing problems that are primarily due to too many people. Hopefully we will figure out the right compromises before we totally ruin the planet!