Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The chart is reminiscent of lemmings walking off a cliff.

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, WA
The chart is reminiscent of lemmings walking off a cliff.
Especially if you expand it to show more than one month!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Was in Colorado last week and a long time friend and technoweenie took me for a ride in his model s. Build quality was excellent. range great for city commuting. Sporty handling neck breaking acceleration. He did a long road trip with charging waits I wouldn't tolerate but then I drove 800+ miles straight through twice in a week.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Well anyone who thinks a flamethrower is a good idea...
I never wanted a Tesla...but I did seriously consider getting one of the flamethrowers. You know...for the house.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I never wanted a Tesla...but I did seriously consider getting one of the flamethrowers. You know...for the house.
I like this version much better!
Ingenuity in it's best form
https://youtu.be/oCbwX2NsxE0

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
You don’t have to worry about the Model 3; the Model is going to be successful.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Seems Elon is clutching at straws - reducing the availble colours in an attempt to “streamline” production. Good to see him following HF1s philosophy tho’ , soon it will be any colour so long as it’s black!

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You don’t have to worry about the Model 3; the Model is going to be successful.
Where is your God now?

SEC Sues Elon Musk for Fraud, Seeks Removal From Tesla

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
A friend got his Model 3 this week. When you calculate how much it costs to fully charge it at home, it’s like filling up a tank of gas, I don’t get it. I’m guessing the SEC is going after Musk on the advice of other Tesla stakeholders - they normally take years to bring charges; this was done in a couple of months. Stupid texts about rescue divers, smoking weed during interviews, and all his other weird behaviour are probably making investors nervous.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '05 & '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Central California
A friend got his Model 3 this week. When you calculate how much it costs to fully charge it at home, it’s like filling up a tank of gas, I don’t get it. I’m guessing the SEC is going after Musk on the advice of other Tesla stakeholders - they normally take years to bring charges; this was done in a couple of months. Stupid texts about rescue divers, smoking weed during interviews, and all his other weird behaviour are probably making investors nervous.
That's not really correct on the cost to charge unless he charged it during the day and not after 11pm when the rates drop. At least that’s what happens in California. If my Model S P100D is empty and needs a full charge it would cost around $15 to full charge after 11pm and if done during the day it would be around $50. But remember most Tesla's get free super charging.

I don't agree with Musk's tweets and a lot of what he does but the 4 Tesla's we have had have all been great fit and finish and have needed next to nothing as far as service goes.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
But remember most Tesla's get free super charging.
Someone's paying for that--just not the Tesla owners. No such thing as a free lunch, as the ol' saying goes.

Teslas have to be heavily subsidized to sell because people don't want to pay the true cost to build/buy/own/refuel. The WSJ reported that in Hong Kong, zero new Tesla Model S sedans and Model X SUVs were registered with the transport department in April 2017, after the vehicle-registration tax waiver for electrics was discontinued at the start of that month. Zero!!! Following that, just five privately owned electric cars were registered in May.

So it's not that they're not good, it's that most good things sell pretty well when they're heavily discounted!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Someone's paying for that--just not the Tesla owners. No such thing as a free lunch, as the ol' saying goes.
Not a mystery. Taxpayers are paying. Just as they do on nearly all the Enviro-scams.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I checked out a Model 3 the other day...meh
Marginal fit and finish for a $70+K D model.
I have a 6 year old Model S. It's been fairly reliable except for when the main shaft snapped in the gearbox. Entire drive unit swapped under warranty. LCD touch screen now has a liquid bubble all along the edges. Tesla would not warranty. My iPad hasn't broken down like that.
I guess I've gotten bored with it. Waiting for Porsche's answer with the Taycan. That will most likely be available in early 2020. In the meanwhile I'm probably going to sell my Tesla as I think it's going to continue depreciating and I'm less motivated to use it as a daily. I guess my love affair is over.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Investors will need to decide between investing in a legitimate car manufacturer or a cult leader. If Jonestown provides any guidance, sometimes the Kool Aid is worse than bad tasting.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Waiting for Porsche's answer with the Taycan...
Ditto.

Due to the fact we've never owned a hybrid let alone an EV, I intend to lease wifey's Mission e / Taycan so we can simply walk away from it if there are 'issues'. Given it's a Porsche, I doubt there will be any...but, since 'Murphy' has been picking up his mail at our place lately... :bored

My biggest concern, though, is that the bean counters will have messed up the concept car looks/design-wise by the time it actually goes into production. E.g.: I'm 'lovin'-me-some' suicide rear doors and the concept's current interior (they're what sold wifey on the car in the 1st place). If they're messed with to any great extent (buckets front/bench rear...standard rear doors), the Taycan will, at that point, have become pretty much just another 4-door in a large crowd of same...and since neither wifey nor I are rabid 'greenies', that would probably squelch our interest in getting one.

Time will tell...

Awsum GT

GT Owner '05 & '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Central California
Ditto.

Due to the fact we've never owned a hybrid let alone an EV, I intend to lease wifey's Mission e / Taycan so we can simply walk away from it if there are 'issues'. Given it's a Porsche, I doubt there will be any...but, since 'Murphy' has been picking up his mail at our place lately... :bored

My biggest concern, though, is that the bean counters will have messed up the concept car looks/design-wise by the time it actually goes into production. E.g.: I'm 'lovin'-me-some' suicide rear doors and the concept's current interior (they're what sold wifey on the car in the 1st place). If they're messed with to any great extent (buckets front/bench rear...standard rear doors), the Taycan will, at that point, have become pretty much just another 4-door in a large crowd of same...and since neither wifey nor I are rabid 'greenies', that would probably squelch our interest in getting one.

Time will tell...
I hear the suicide doors are gone for production cars. I also have a deposit down on one. What concerns me is the charging from what I hear will only be at Porsche dealers or your own home. I think they will need more than that if they are to succeed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I hear the suicide doors are gone for production cars.
'Best not be. That's THEE singular most unique feature of the car.

'Really hope that's bogus info...

What concerns me is the charging from what I hear will only be at Porsche dealers or own home.
If that's the literal truth it's a deal breaker. Period. End of story. 'Would make 'road trips' in one too much of a hassle...especially if a recharge were necessary on a Sunday in, say, lower Bugtussle, Alabama...and there's no Porsche dealer within 3 light years.

Nuts to that...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, that was quick. Musk will step down as Chairman of Tesla and pay $20M in fines.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/teslas-elon-musk-sec-settle-fraud-charges

I guess when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar and the cookie police lock the jar on your hand your negotiation power goes to zero.