Detailing the GT

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
True. I actually live closer to Coalinga than Fresno.....Has two things it has going for it: Steak and a side-by-side airstrip race at the Coalinga Municipal Airport

I hope you find the FGT your are looking for and to see you at one of those airport events in the future.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I hope you find the FGT your are looking for and to see you at one of those airport events in the future.

Thanks! There's another airstrip event there in April. Hopefully will have one to bring by the that time. Being your GT down!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks! There's another airstrip event there in April. Hopefully will have one to bring by the that time. Being your GT down!

I won't be able to make that date, but hope to do some future event.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Back to the OP, this morning I received an email from Zymol, they've got selected waxes and glazes on sale at 30% off for the rest of this month. Not a bad deal if you like zymol. Anyway, it says to use a coupon code of "Spring13". I've no affiliation.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I see Amazon sells a DI-120 CRSpotless system for $249. Is that not sufficient for washing cars? Is the 2 housing unit for $450 really needed?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Just noticed the Costco unit went on sale today for $369.99.......

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just noticed the Costco unit went on sale today for $369.99.......

Glad I didn't buy it last night. Did just now. That's $260 less than buying it direct. Now I just have to wait 2 months until it's warm enough to turn the water back on!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad I didn't buy it last night. Did just now. That's $260 less than buying it direct. Now I just have to wait 2 months until it's warm enough to turn the water back on!

That happened when I got mine too. Twice. Seems that Costco online takes care of it's customers though as I got 2 cheques from Costco for the difference between what I paid and what it ended up going for. Throw in the free shipping and it's obvious why I really rather like Costco. :)

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Boat and truck one time?? Holy crap. That well water must be solid rocks!:) Sent you a PM.

We have super hard water here too....the cost of the resin is overpriced in my opinion for the amount of washes we can get out of a CR Spotless system. The system is pretty cheap, the resin is where they get you.

What I do is wash the car with city water then spray the car down with distilled water from Walmart, etc. One gallon costs way less than $1.00 and a gallon will easily rinse a vehicle the size of a large sedan. I keep the distilled water in a designated plastic pump up garden sprayer. It holds two gallons and most of my cars take less than 1 gallon to rinse. Way less drama than having to haul out the CR system with the hoses, connections, etc.

Seems to work very well and is very convenient.

Cheers,
George

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
We have super hard water here too....the cost of the resin is overpriced in my opinion for the amount of washes we can get out of a CR Spotless system. The system is pretty cheap, the resin is where they get you.

What I do is wash the car with city water then spray the car down with distilled water from Walmart, etc. One gallon costs way less than $1.00 and a gallon will easily rinse a vehicle the size of a large sedan. I keep the distilled water in a designated plastic pump up garden sprayer. It holds two gallons and most of my cars take less than 1 gallon to rinse. Way less drama than having to haul out the CR system with the hoses, connections, etc.

Seems to work very well and is very convenient.

Cheers,
George

I great idea, thanks!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I ordered from costco yesterday. Today I asked for and received a credit for the difference. IDK if that would have happened without me asking, but costco is always easy to deal with.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have been using the 2 tank unit for about 2 years now and wouldn't want to wash the cars without it. I wash the cars with regular soft water from the house and then give the car a good rinse with the DI water. After the car is rinsed I use the Master Blaster http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MB3CD-Blaster-Motorcycle/dp/B0002SPCGC to dry the car.

My new wash mitts just arrived, now just need the snow to melt.

IMG_3123.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I see Amazon sells a DI-120 CRSpotless system for $249. Is that not sufficient for washing cars? Is the 2 housing unit for $450 really needed?

Just means you don't replace the resin as often.

Bonehead has a fantastic source on resin refill. P/M him. It is about half price.

When you wash and rinse with with water, you get better sudsing and rinsing and are sure to get all the nooks and crannies cleared out.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I use a different type of blower........ 212 MPH.....:biggrin

CorpMain.jpg

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Hmm. Just attempted Costco, and unless I'm doing something goofy in the search, they show 'none in stock'. So you guys must've bought 'em out! I plan to up the ante on my wash rack this spring. Getting a 'real' automatic hose reel (hozelock if I can ever get Amazon to fill backorder) and the CRSpotless. Can't wait. Simple pleasures make car maintenance fun.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Well reading this thread got me to try some new things. Bought a Foamaster soap gun, a 20v rechargable blower, a high volume 2gal sprayer, a couple gallons of distilled water and a bottle of Mothers car wash (Has a GT on the front label so must be the right soap).

The Foamaster works great with the nozzle switching back and forth from foam to rinse easily. The rechargable blower is useless for drying a car, my shop air hose works better but still not enough. Wife loves the blower for quick garage, driveway and deck sweeping so we kept it. The distilled water spot free rinse works very well but does require a high volume sprayer, not my old bug sprayer.

Good news is that the car came out spotless. Quite literally. Even spots that were left previously that I figured I would need to clay bar to get off are gone. Great new wash method and very easy to do, just different than I had done all these years. Gave up on the blow dry and went back to my chamois which does not take that long and works fine. Easier than dragging out the gas powered back pack leaf blower.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well reading this thread got me to try some new things. Bought a Foamaster soap gun, a 20v rechargable blower, a high volume 2gal sprayer, a couple gallons of distilled water and a bottle of Mothers car wash (Has a GT on the front label so must be the right soap).

The Foamaster works great with the nozzle switching back and forth from foam to rinse easily. The rechargable blower is useless for drying a car, my shop air hose works better but still not enough. Wife loves the blower for quick garage, driveway and deck sweeping so we kept it. The distilled water spot free rinse works very well but does require a high volume sprayer, not my old bug sprayer.

Good news is that the car came out spotless. Quite literally. Even spots that were left previously that I figured I would need to clay bar to get off are gone. Great new wash method and very easy to do, just different than I had done all these years. Gave up on the blow dry and went back to my chamois which does not take that long and works fine. Easier than dragging out the gas powered back pack leaf blower.

Foamaster is a great product. I've found that anything short of a pretty strong leaf-blower doesn't do an efficient job of drying all the nooks and crannies.

As an very amateur detailer (so take anything I say with many grains of salt), let me suggest NOT using a clay bar on a routine basis to remove hard water spots. While it may do a good job of taking off the spots, a clay bar is essentially a very fine abrasive. It's marring your clear coat whether you realize it or not. You can try white vinegar (never worked for me) or Chemical Guys sells a hard water spot remover which works pretty well, but it takes a bit of elbow grease and it stinks like rotten eggs.
Same goes for the chamois. May dry your car well, but anything short of a soft, clean microfiber, and you're probably marring the paint.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Trouble is, I have never seen a microfiber towel that is absorbant enough to dry worth a darn. And I have tried plenty, even the high priced ones. When dry they do not absorb, when damp they leave streaks. Pretty useless at drying a car. Chamois needs to be clean for sure.

Glad I did not need to clay bar the car to get the water spots off. Was amazed that the combo of the Mothers soap, foamaster gun, microfiber mit and spot free rinse removed all the prior water spots. Was quite amazing how well it worked. No need for chemicals this time.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
I use a different type of blower........ 212 MPH.....:biggrin

View attachment 27992

Exactly what I use and it works great........... And with other uses as well.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Trouble is, I have never seen a microfiber towel that is absorbant enough to dry worth a darn. And I have tried plenty, even the high priced ones. When dry they do not absorb, when damp they leave streaks. Pretty useless at drying a car. Chamois needs to be clean for sure.

Glad I did not need to clay bar the car to get the water spots off. Was amazed that the combo of the Mothers soap, foamaster gun, microfiber mit and spot free rinse removed all the prior water spots. Was quite amazing how well it worked. No need for chemicals this time.

Though your new rinse method may render drying less of an issue, I have LOVED Griot's huge synthetic chamois. Can dry my car in about 4 passes and wringings. It is absolultely incredible, must keep it slightly damp all the time (comes in a container that allows this.) Worth a try. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/dimpled+synthetic+chamois.do?from=Search