Detailing the GT

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Hey guys, first off, a big, big many thanks to Shelby for recently bringing me in to the Ford GT world. The transaction with Shelby was super smooth and I highly recommend anybody interested in finding or buying a GT to give him a shout. He also handled my rear bumper delete, x-pipe, and clear nose mask install. The car is simply fantastic.......as many of you already know! Secondly, I'd like to know what detailing products you all use to keep your GT looking great. Detailing products are usually personal preference but it would be great to know what is used. Thanks and look forward to chatting with all of you from time to time.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats and welcome!

Zaino for me.

Must throw up some pics and tell us where you are from. :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Welcome! I hose/pressure wash off the dust and light dirt then use a spray wax and shine detailer. Keeping the towel clean is key.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here's a useful guide with a downloadable PDF I've used in the past with some general tips. I think there's plenty of great products so long as you follow a proper order of operations with correct separation of the "tools."

http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/basic-car-wash/

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Welocme, the car is a love affair- Ive used quite a few on the market, IMHO Zaino comes on top, shine and most importantly durability.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome RJY! I dry wash. I've done it for 6 years. I also remove the wheels after every few drives to clean. Have fun with one cool car!

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Clay bar, then whatever. I've lost my enchantment for Zaino because of the water spotting and am looking for something else. There are long threads here covering this topic, so try a search.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Mothers California Gold Wash makes ur paint look wet

Griots micro fibre towels (green is thickest) & their yellow drying towels at excellent

A good cAr cover helps too....I use a tan flannel & keep OEM GT in duffle

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Clay bar, then whatever. I've lost my enchantment for Zaino because of the water spotting and am looking for something else. There are long threads here covering this topic, so try a search.

Your solution;

pgroup_4_image_255x255__shadow.jpg

http://www.crspotless.com/

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Foam gun
Microfiber mitt
Master blaster or strong hand held blower
Microfiber drying towels-- agree with Griots green, Costco good if you run thru a lot
ANY good polish/wax. Zaino, Zymol Concours (pricey), a hi end Meguires does not really matter

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Thanks for the tips all!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I had a look at the website / instructions. My gt is black and I can't imagine simply rinsing the soap off and letting the car airdry without a huge waterspot issue......Is the system really that good ?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I had a look at the website / instructions. My gt is black and I can't imagine simply rinsing the soap off and letting the car airdry without a huge waterspot issue......Is the system really that good ?

I have a black 911 Turbo, and yes, their system really IS that good.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Welcome. Zymol soap, lukewarm water sparingly, chamois, Zymol detailer, micro fiber, dedicated brush for the wheel wells and a separate bucket.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Thanks Superfly...based on that reply I'll be ordering a system shortly! BTW, a while back we spoke about setting up a short road trip for the AB gt contingent...You still interested in a Rockies run this spring or summer ?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
^^^ Sure am. Colton74, CanadianCobra and CanadaGT are all probably in too, plus a few other locals who aren't on the forum. Should be good times.

By the way, I got my CRSpotless from Costco online. Not sure if they still have them, but it was far and away the best pricing I'd seen.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
^^^^I am in for a trip as well.

I plan to order the CRspotless product as well, glad to know it works. I use the techniques that one of the detailers (previous forum sponsor??) outlined here. Long thread should come up in a search. I buy most of the stuff I use locally (soap is Chemical Guys, Quick detailer is Victoria wax) however I have had good luck with Adams Polishes as well.
The microfiber towels I use are Griots and Costco as previously mentioned.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I can also vouch for the CRSpotless system. Water here is terrible. Nothing like being able to airdry a car and not have to worry about spots. The resin is pretty pricey, but I've found a 'cheaper' alternative to the CR-branded refills. I don't want to post it here as I don't want to make it public info. Feel free to PM me if you want the link. Seems others have caught on and they've already raised their prices.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
2112 - water spotting doesn't just occur after washing your car. I get caught in rain storms all the time and it's just not prudent to wipe the car down. My last big peeve is hotel sprinkler systems. A windy day does a lot of damage. The Zaino seems to spot and etch very easily, maybe due to it's chemical nature as opposed to a waxy nature.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
We'll keep in touch as spring gets closer....hopefully additional participants will chime in by then.

^^^ Sure am. Colton74, CanadianCobra and CanadaGT are all probably in too, plus a few other locals who aren't on the forum. Should be good times.

By the way, I got my CRSpotless from Costco online. Not sure if they still have them, but it was far and away the best pricing I'd seen.