corosion central tunnel and spark covers

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
i have attached two pictures of engine and tunnel. The tunnel is slightly uneven. Is that normal on the pictures posted here it looks so smooth and even but maybe that is a camera's flash effect.

is there a solution for making the engine covers shine again?

fgtmiddentunnel.jpg
fgtmotor.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would say those are both warranty issues ,if you are still under warranty?
I had a similar issue with the valve covers and got them replaced under warranty.I can tell you the center magnisium piece is expensive.I have an extra if you can't find one .

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
rocket

The tunnel is supposed to be completely smooth without little bumps?

The spark covers should also look better? I saw one other GT for real and it had the sae problem on the engine cover plates

what is the price of the central thing?

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My valve covers are also slightly discolored. I've been wondering if I could have them coated or painted, but I don't know what would hold up best. Anybody have suggestions?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I belive so

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Most just replace the Coil covers they tend to degrade some over time. I can get a replacement set from Ford if needed they aren't expensive. Email me if interested torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
lUXGT
you can't go wrong with Torrie!! Any parts you need ,he is the man!!
also a good guy!!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Center Console paint bumps

I saw some threads a year or more ago that said the imperfections (bumps) on the center console are normal and are not warranteed. Is that correct, because my center console have had these bumps since new.

BioKleen's SledBrite Aluma Kleen is the best I have found for cleaning aluminum. http://www.biokleen.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S07007&cat=10

Last edited:

Eric_Elite

Jun 24, 2009
Jonesboro, AR
If the car is under warranty, Ford will take care of it. I have had experience on both of these parts and Ford replaced them . Or you can have them custom painted. We have done this for several customers.

The coil covers tend to do that if the car has been around salt like nearthe coast or up north.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I replaced my coil covers a long time ago with the very bling (but oh, so right) Ford Racing covers. They look superb.

My central tunnel has some blisters on it (why does that sound so rude?), I just live with it.

Aug 25, 2006
The center tunnel is magnesium and was painted with the same silver paint as the remainder of the chassis; we have painted more than one that had less than stellar areas.

FYI; a new center tunnel is close to $4K with no electronic hardware.

Takes care

Shadowman

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
wooow shadowman that is a lot of money

maybe then i better have it repainted

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
The center tunnel is magnesium and was painted with the same silver paint as the remainder of the chassis; we have painted more than one that had less than stellar areas.

FYI; a new center tunnel is close to $4K with no electronic hardware.

Takes care

Shadowman

What's the trick to painting around the AC controls silkscreens? My painter wont paint the center tunnel as he can't guarantee he can perfectly replicate the OEM look of the red/blue silkscreens.

Aug 25, 2006
What's the trick to painting around the AC controls silkscreens? My painter wont paint the center tunnel as he can't guarantee he can perfectly replicate the OEM look of the red/blue silkscreens.

There is no trick; just work and BTW is is not silkscreen but rather paint in the recessed areas.

Most of the tunnels have had seat belt or ? damage on the sides or in front near the radio as such spotting in the paint is relatively easy however if the entire tunnel needs to be painted then once completed then recessed areas are painted by hand; typically we use sign painter aka stripe paint "One Shot" and the process goes as follows;

Once the tunnel is cured then a small brush is used to apply the paint within the recess and then using a clean rag such as a piece of a cotton tee-shirt it is wrapped tightly around a finger. Then we dip it into a mild mineral based solvent and simply and quickly wipe off the area before it dries thus leaving the paint only within the recessed area. This is a methodical process as one color and one section should be completed at a time; do not rush and the results will be stunning.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Shadowman,
I love the way you describe how to lay down paint in the recessed areas in the tunnel console. I use the same method, but would never be able to verbalize it like you! :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman,
I love the way you describe how to lay down paint in the recessed areas in the tunnel console. I use the same method, but would never be able to verbalize it like you! :thumbsup

Thank you for the kind words; because it made sense to you I hope that it did and does to others as well.

I welcome any questions from folks if I can assist

Takes care

Shadowman

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks Shadowman. I've been meaning to paint my center tunnel and this advice helps a lot.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
polished mag vs painted mag

Has anyone removed the paint on the magnesium cover & polished it? Too much glare? I have some polished & some fine cast mag pieces on my motorcycles that look cool. There is no coating. Are the mag interior pieces on the Carerra GT bare or painted?

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
wooow shadowman that is a lot of money

maybe then i better have it repainted

Or you can talk to Kip and go CF:

IMG_97351copy.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner