BoP? Where was it?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I honestly do not understand BoP. Not in theory. Not in practice.

For all the +'s and -'s over the racing season so far, including the tiny last minute adjustments, I was frankly shocked at the apparent lack of BoP in the race.

Who stole the Porsche and Chevy horses? Or did they simply leave a bunch in the barn? Porsche showed some traction advantage early when the track was still wet. When the track dried, they too were off the back.

It should have been GTE PRO...Ford and Ferrari, and GTF PRO...Porsche, Chevy, and AM.

After many hours of watching the in-car cams on FordPerformance.tv, it was clear all the GTs had no problem reeling in and blowing by all GTE PRO cars, with the exception of the 82 Ferrari. And then came the epic pass of 82 by 68 on the Mulsanne straight, with 68 never relinquishing the lead after that.

Amazing accomplishment by the Ford team. But wtf is BoP all about?

I'm imagining a much more competitive, interesting, and enjoyable race if all teams were able to compete within a defined specification (to include tires and fuel consumption), and allow technology to further develop the breed.

P.S. A podium finish could have been lost, because some position lights weren't working? Double wtf?

Last edited:

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I'm in agreement too. I get the reasoning but it yields too much opportunity for pure subjectivity.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm in agreement too. I get the reasoning but it yields too much opportunity for pure subjectivity.

Or worst like FIFA.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I'm pretty new when it comes to the endurance racing but I think this year is not a good example of leveling the field, especially for lemans, the biggest race of the year.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gary,

I timed many of the laps and the #68 Ford (as were most of the other GTs) was about 1 second faster per lap than the second place Ferrari. The aero advantage of the FGT was enormous and overcame the race officials' efforts to equalize power and weight.

The FGT was designed to win Le Mans, whereas all of the other GT-class cars were designed as street cars. This is what you hear most from the critics. Some of the post-race radio commentary on this subject was very unkind and offensive in my view.

Nevertheless, the Ford was built in compliance with the rules. Ford will build more than enough street cars for homologation. The "purpose built race car" argument will forever be both a source of criticism from opponents and a point of pride from fortunate owners. As much as I love my '06, the new GT is the true successor to the GT40, both in concept and execution. The parallels to the original GT40 program are amazing.

As for the issue with the #82 Ferrari, it wasn't simply a marker light, it's the fact that the Risi team ignored a flag to make the repair. Under the rules, this clearly would have resulted in a disqualification had race officials chosen not to ignore the infraction.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
As for the issue with the #82 Ferrari, it wasn't simply a marker light, it's the fact that the Risi team ignored a flag to make the repair. Under the rules, this clearly would have resulted in a disqualification had race officials chosen not to ignore the infraction.

Yep, it should have been Ford 1, 2, 3.

I don't like selective enforcement of rules or laws, it leads to corruption.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The FGT was designed to win Le Mans, whereas all of the other GT-class cars were designed as street cars. This is what you hear most from the critics. Some of the post-race radio commentary on this subject was very unkind and offensive in my view.

Nevertheless, the Ford was built in compliance with the rules. Ford will build more than enough street cars for homologation. The "purpose built race car" argument will forever be both a source of criticism from opponents and a point of pride from fortunate owners. As much as I love my '06, the new GT is the true successor to the GT40, both in concept and execution. The parallels to the original GT40 program are amazing.

The same was true of the Cobras and the original GT40. They never would have been street versions without the racing program and the racing versions were there first.

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
The GT40s were built to win a race,The street versions were built only because rules stated you had built/produce road legal copies . thank God for that rule, what out it we wouldn't be driving our dream cars.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
It was Porshe's, Aston Martin's and Chevrolet's decision to run old cars instead of updating to the 2016 rules. Ford and Ferrari updated. Did they just figure that the BOP would make them competitive? Didn't work out very well for them did it?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I guess a new car after 50 years qualifies as an "update."

I don't know what to blame for a GTE Pro race that consisted of 3 Fords and 1 Ferrari for 24 hours.

Continuously changing rules? BoP? The need to make money?

Of course I'm thrilled by the outcome, but I expected some competition in the class.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
P.S. A podium finish could have been lost, because some position lights weren't working? Double wtf?

Well Gary, Paul presents a good explanation above on your “Double wtf” on the Ferrari podium finish. For car identification at night, the rules state your car number and the marker position lights (indicating P1, P2 or P3 position in the car running order) must be functional. TWO of the FGTs were black flagged during the evening hours because their car number illumination was not functioning. Ford brought the cars in, fixed the signage illumination and resumed the race. A rule is a rule.

When the early morning protest on the #82 Ferrari’s marker lights was made, the race officials for some reason waited over 10 HOURS before imposing the black/orange flag requiring the Ferrari to come to the pits and fix the position lights. This flag was ignored by the Ferrari team.

Because of the refusal to pit, the sanctioning body assessed a pit drive-through penalty against the #82 Ferrari. This too was ignored by the team yet at the end of the race the three Ferrari drivers stood on the podium at second place.

Yep, Double wtf?:confused

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A rule is a rule. Eff that. A rule that has nothing to do with racing. Risi got the podium they deserved.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A rule is a rule. Eff that. A rule that has nothing to do with racing. Risi got the podium they deserved.

I knew you were a closet Ferrarista. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I knew you were a closet Ferrarista. :lol
I keep all my gold chains, cigars, and red shoes in my closet.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
BoP is very simple to understand.

It's all about revenue for the racetracks. If there is a clear winner early in a race, the spectators get bored and leave the race early. If they leave early, then the vendors can't sell their products. If the vendors can't sell their products, they stop supporting the racetrack. The racetrack ceases to be financially sound and closes. It's that simple. The results of the race must be kept as an unknown to the spectators and therefore interesting enough to stay to the end of the race period for the tracks to remain financially viable. So simple.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
BoP is very simple to understand.

It's all about revenue for the racetracks. If there is a clear winner early in a race, the spectators get bored and leave the race early. If they leave early, then the vendors can't sell their products. If the vendors can't sell their products, they stop supporting the racetrack. The racetrack ceases to be financially sound and closes. It's that simple. The results of the race must be kept as an unknown to the spectators and therefore interesting enough to stay to the end of the race period for the tracks to remain financially viable. So simple.

Kinda, but if BOP is to promote close racing, how come the sanctioning body has allowed Porsche Audi to completely dominate LMP1 for decades? It's all about politics amongst the manufacturers, not the tracks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Really????!!!!

A rule is a rule. Eff that. A rule that has nothing to do with racing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
BoP is to keep manufacturers in the series. Everyone builds road cars for different reasons. One manufacturer builds a purpose built car that lays waste to everyone without recourse, manufacturers bail in a hurry. Knowing the GT would obliterate the field on any kind of level playing field is enough for me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Really????!!!!

Really do I really have to qualify an opinion? :lol

Hey Risi, why did you lose a podium spot after 23+ hours of being in the lead or close to the lead?

Our position light bulb burned out. It unfairly tricked all the competition (i.e., Ford because there was no other competition). It clearly upset the BoP, for which I am truly sorry. :frown

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Really do I really have to qualify an opinion? :lol

Hey Risi, why did you lose a podium spot after 23+ hours of being in the lead or close to the lead?

Our position light bulb burned out. It unfairly tricked all the competition (i.e., Ford because there was no other competition). It clearly upset the BoP, for which I am truly sorry. :frown

Did Ford get penalized, and actually adhere to the penalty, for an LED light related issue?