best aftermarket exhaust for the money

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I will say only buy the Ford Racing headers if you want loud. Really really loud.

I have the factory exhaust on my car because the turbo system is quite loud once you are at WOT, but it is quiet on regular driving. I drove my Dad's car which has the FRPP headers down to Rich and Dennis' last year and I felt like it would be very difficult to drive without acquiring a long procession of law enforcement officials that feel you must be about to do something illegal. :lol They do look awesome though.

or do a freeway pull beside Soroush. Loudest exhaust EVER......REALLY.......What did you just say....I can't hear ANYTHING.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
or do a freeway pull beside Soroush. Loudest exhaust EVER......REALLY.......What did you just say....I can't hear ANYTHING.

what!!!! I cant hear you :biggrin

stainless for me, no cats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfDPVd9fe0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqBm1VmWsc(if you literally want to hear it a mile away!)

Last edited:

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Best aftermarket exhaust system

I have the JBA complete exhaust on my GT. I like it because it is MODULAR. You can get it with/without cats and with/without JBA's muffler. ALL mufflers, etc will work with it. :thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I have the JBA complete exhaust on my GT. I like it because it is MODULAR. You can get it with/without cats and with/without JBA's muffler. ALL mufflers, etc will work with it. :thumbsup

I have the JBA on my blue car, probably the easiest to install and sounds great as well, least clearance issues also, however the quality(and I only mean in the aesthetic sense) is a bit lacking. otherwise a great systme as AMB mentioned very modular!!

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
I talked to heffner today. I think thats the one for me.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
As Frank correctly points out, this topic has been discussed many, many times. There is even a sticky on the topic with audio clips dating back to Rally I when we made some audio signatures.

Sound of our GT is a very personal and subjective topic. Ralph's long tube headers sound good if you like LOUD. At Texas World Speedway there was no mistaking when Ralph sped by. Too loud for my street use, but that is my opinion.

There are many makers of aftermarket exhaust systems for our cars. Come to a rally and hear each of your candidates in person is what I would suggest. I am very happy with my Borla, but that is just me.

Also I would be very leery about horsepower and torque benefit claims, unless possibly a cat-delete. The OE exhaust system as delivered might not "look" high performance, but it is a very good, free flowing system allowing very little (if any) performance gain. Credit the Ford design team (again).

I think Bill makes a great point here - - - if you are not in a hurry, come to Rally VI and ride around with all the cars that have exhausts that you are interested in. Any of us would love to take you for a drive to explore the noise levels, drone and pitch of the various systems.

At Rally III, Anders rode with me on the cruise through the Valley of Fire. While the FRPP long tube headers are loud at WOT or on a road course like TWS, I stayed under 2,000 rpm for most of the cruise and we were able to converse easily inside the car. As most of my long hauls are at 2,000 rpm or lower in 6th (< 80 mph), I find that this exhaust does not draw attention and have never been pulled over for noise violations. In fact, after Anders had ridden with me, he selected this system for his GT.

And, if you want to make noise, you can.... :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I will say only buy the Ford Racing headers if you want loud. Really really loud...

I have the factory exhaust on my car because the turbo system is quite loud once you are at WOT, but it is quiet on regular driving.

I agree that the FRPP rear exit headers are the 2nd loudest sounding exhaust system. Only thing louder are headers without any sound damping. Like Stainless works without cats.

Loudness scale

1. Stainless works no cats.
2. FRPP rear exit
3. Stock with FRPP cat deletes and any cat back (I have this, LOUD, I put on Super Traps on for street use) After hearing Sandman's D/A Flowmaster system I am thinking of changing to that. The Super Traps don't look that good sticking out the rear end :)

Dave I am surprised you still have that stock BRICK (55-60 lbs!) of a muffler on your car. I would think that a Borla/FRPP muffler with the turbos would be quite enough and save some weight.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have the Gt guys pipes .The sound is so perfect!Not so loud that my wife won’t ride in it .But loud enough to give me wood!

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
I have the Gt guys pipes .The sound is so perfect!Not so loud that my wife won’t ride in it .But loud enough to give me wood!

Picture please........ of the pipes.......

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I think it is a true testament to folks' enthusiasm (or sheer boredom) that an exhaust thread can reach page 3 ( and counting) after all these years.

Can "am I too tall for a GT" be far behind? :)

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
I think it is a true testament to folks' enthusiasm (or sheer boredom) that an exhaust thread can reach page 3 ( and counting) after all these years.

Can "am I too tall for a GT" be far behind? :)

It is enthusiasm. Remember, some of us have just received our car and clearly look toward owners with experience. What was it like when you had your (first) GT for just a couple of weeks or a month or two? I will also bet that most everyone on this thread has done the search and researched the different systems. Those that are seeking tenured advice will do the right thing and ask the questions.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I say, I say it was a joke son. (Foghorn Leghorn circa 1966)

Yes, agree it is enthusiasm. And the great thing about any of these exhausts is they sound better the more you drive . I bet Jeff's is heavenly......

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Can "am I too tall for a GT" be far behind? :)

Or, "Which is the fastest color?" :lol :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

At Mojave it was the RED one! I know Frank will like this post. :lol

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Something to think about is annoying resonating, which I think can be a problem on extended runs with the GT. The Accufab X Pipe was my choice, with a lot of advice from George at Accufab. Not too loud, just perfect, and no resonating at all. It's so pretty I didn't want to put it on my car. Accufab makes good stuff. I have no financial affiliation with these people, wish I did.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

We know that a certain RED GT was the loudest at TWS. By a large factor.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I thought I already said that, Jeffy....

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I thought I already said that, Jeffy....

o.k. I give you the honors Mr Bill of first mention.

I owe you a cup of coffee.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I know some who has a Stillen for sale.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Another vote for the GTG exhaust. I like the looks of it and the Heffner best.