Audi r8 vs Gt weight

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I was surprised to see that the Audi A8 weights the same as the Ford Gt. With the AWD and probably slightly more sound deadening and finish level. I would have guessed the Gt would have been lighter. Any ideas?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was surprised to see that the Audi A8 weights the same as the Ford Gt. With the AWD and probably slightly more sound deadening and finish level. I would have guessed the Gt would have been lighter. Any ideas?

How do the dimensions of the A8 compare to the GT. To keep the proportions true to the original, the GT ended up being a big car!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I checked dimensions, width R8=74.8 GT=76.9, length R8=174 GT=182, heigth R8=49.2 Gt=44.3. The GT is 8 in longer, but 5in shorter. The R8 has AWD, does the slight GT size increase explain the cars similar weight?

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I checked dimensions, width R8=74.8 GT=76.9, length R8=174 GT=182, heigth R8=49.2 Gt=44.3. The GT is 8 in longer, but 5in shorter. The R8 has AWD, does the slight GT size increase explain the cars similar weight?

I dont know if the size would be the difference probably some of it but not all of it. I wanst impressed with the R8 at Detroit, it was kinda dull and the two tone paint is tacky.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA

Aren't the bumpers on the Ford GT hefty?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The rear bumper is very light, I think someone posted 12 lbs. Some of the GT's heft comes from the dry sump, supercharger, and cooling system. The weight from amount of plumbing, oil, and coolant in the GT is not trivial.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I think about the Corvette at 3100 lbs, and the Gt at 3450, and the elise at 2000lbs-. f=ma or a=f/m, weight is important, less mass, less inertia=easier to change direction. I really like my GT, but I've always been a little dissapointed at its weight, considering frame and body are aluminium.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
weights?

The April issue of Road & Track magazine lists the "actual weight" of the Audi R8 as 3630 lbs. & curb weight as 3440. The Sept 06 R&T magazine lists the curb weight of the GT as 3390 (no "actual weight" listed). They are fairly close. It's amazing how light the Z06 is (Sept 06 R&T curb is 3150 lbs) with cruise control, active everything, tire pressure monitors, heads up display, etc. Then again, it looks pretty much like every Vette out there. I feel the GT is a Supercar while the R8 is only a competitor to the Porsche 911. The R8 won't go over 200 mph & is not a limited volume car. Plus, it looks too trendy. Let's see in 20 years if the GT still looks better than the R8 (it does right now & it's a 40 year old look)! Maybe the upcoming R8 with the V10 will be in Supercar territory. It'll be heavier of course!

Ed

P.S. The actual weight of my GT, ready to go, was 3406 (Ida exhaust) so 200+ lbs less than the R8.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think about the Corvette at 3100 lbs, and the Gt at 3450, and the elise at 2000lbs-. f=ma or a=f/m, weight is important, less mass, less inertia=easier to change direction. I really like my GT, but I've always been a little dissapointed at its weight, considering frame and body are aluminium.

Me too. But when I look at where Ford could have done a better job on saving weight I don't find much other than.

1. Dump the Mac.
2. Dump the stock muffler
3. Dump of the baby seat bracket
4. Dump the rubber floor mats, use carpet instead.
6. Dump the cast iron exhaust manifolds and cats and use headers.

Besides that, it would get expensive, like Carbon wheels and brake rotors.

Aug 25, 2006
Me too. But when I look at where Ford could have done a better job on saving weight I don't find much other than.

1. Dump the Mac.
2. Dump the stock muffler
3. Dump of the baby seat bracket
4. Dump the rubber floor mats, use carpet instead.
6. Dump the cast iron exhaust manifolds and cats and use headers.

Besides that, it would get expensive, like Carbon wheels and brake rotors.

Carbon fiber wheels; Thumbs Up.... these would drop 20 lbs a corner and in the right place too.

As for the OEM exhaust from the cast manifolds all the way back, it is very heavy. The comment about the rear bumper is correct; I have mine off and it is very light.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Carbon fiber wheels; Thumbs Up.... these would drop 20 lbs a corner and in the right place too.

As for the OEM exhaust from the cast manifolds all the way back, it is very heavy. The comment about the rear bumper is correct; I have mine off and it is very light.

Takes care

Shadowman

The Dyamag carbon wheels wouldn't save too much compared to the optional BBS wheels, but they sure look nice. I think the choice of wheels sizes should be largely dictated by what tires are available in the size. Carbon brake rotor would save a bunch, but I haven't found any yet.

Here some info that I got from Dymags US distributor on the wheels ->

I have already done one GT and it was in the LA AUTO SHOW at the beginning of December. This car ran 20x8.5 front at 17lbs and 20x12 rears at 21lbs. The wheels are perfect for both street and track use as they are 3 times stronger than aluminum and twice as strong as Magnesium wheels. They are both light and super strong and are coming OE on some of the world’s finest SUPER cars such as the Koenigsegg CCX, Ascari, and Mosler MT 900.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Some of the GT's heft comes from the dry sump, supercharger, and cooling system. The weight from amount of plumbing, oil, and coolant in the GT is not trivial.

+1

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I realize you were comparing the GT to other vehicles tht are not rear or mid engine. But, except for the supercharger, doesn't the R8 have the same configuration? And the same weight issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the new porsche 997 gt3 come in right around 3000lbs? I'm not trying to bash the GT or to criticize your analysis, just get my mind around the weight issue.

Could the answer be in the engine/supercharger. I just remembered that the Ford cammer engines are a bit heavy. I'll do some research.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The supercharger and all the required equipment add about 150 lbs. End of story. And aluminum weighs more than CF. The GT3 is not comparable because it's very raw compared to a GT.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Could the answer be in the engine/supercharger. I just remembered that the Ford cammer engines are a bit heavy. I'll do some research.

May be the Iron-Cast Cammers but the 5.4l aluminum shouldn't be that heavy but the supercharger changes that. Thats why Joe's Twin Turbo GT(excludes the supercharger) weighs alot less.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
May be the Iron-Cast Cammers but the 5.4l aluminum shouldn't be that heavy but the supercharger changes that. Thats why Joe's Twin Turbo GT(excludes the supercharger) weighs alot less.

Do you have any numbers? I would think the savings is less than 50 lbs, since you lose the supercharger, but gain two turbos with plumbing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think it's a little bit more BlackIce. I'd definitely be interested to know as well.

As for the cast iron vs. aluminum, I was told that weight difference was 70 lbs :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think it's a little bit more BlackIce. I'd definitely be interested to know as well.

As for the cast iron vs. aluminum, I was told that weight difference was 70 lbs :eek

While on the subject for supercharger weight, does anyone know the weight of the stock supercharger vs. the big Whipple? I guess the disadvantage of the Whipple is it will add more weight high up in the car, but it makes up for it with HP. I could live with that.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tungsten is the guy to ask about the R8. He has, now, some personal experience with the car. I was hoping he would already post some comments.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The new 997 GT3 doesn't appear to me to be too "raw" to compare to the GT. It has an electronically adjustable suspension , a navigation system, sports chronograph gauge pod, 2 seater like the GT.

Last time I look, the Gt didn't have much sound deadening, no electric seats, no navigation, no storage area, no cruise control, the only thing on the floor of the cab is some kind of rubberized mats. Oh yeah, its got some netting behind the seats for storage. I guess that makes it kinda plush.

I don't get it, they seem fairly close to me, but I guess I'm just uninformed. Oh by the way the number I saw for GT3 weight was 1395 kilos(that's 3070lbs), about 400lbs lighter than the GT.