Another 20 millions cars recalled Takata Airbag

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
May 19, 2015:
This Takata airbag recall expanded to include an additional 20 millions cars, tally hovers around 34 millions now. To find out if the expanded recall includes any of your cars, click on the link below and towards the bottom left "VIN Lookup"-

http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/index.html

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ll-poses-dilemma-for-u-s-backing-untested-fix

Takata Corp.’s record recall leaves U.S. regulators with a dilemma -- swap defective air bags with parts that may be no safer than the original ones, or shoulder automakers with replacing 34 million vehicles.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nothing on my VIN.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Nothing on my VIN.

Mine as well. Did we win the lottery or is there still a surprise around the corner?

Vince H

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I had the drivers side done last week, was wondering if the expanded recall now would add in the fun of the passenger side.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had the drivers side done last week, was wondering if the expanded recall now would add in the fun of the passenger side.

I checked mine again and it is still drivers side only

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Checked mine again at my old Dealershio while getting inspection for registration and Does Not show up on Fords Computer for recall.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I find this all so strange. If a car was registered in Porto Rico or the southern humid states for both air bag actuators to be replaced, why don't they replace both sides in all FGT's? You live in Oregon and have a recall for the driver's side only, then move to Florida and they send you another recall notice?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
NHTSA is putting "more pressure" on Takata. As you may know the airbag is not the issue, it's the Ammonium Nitrate Takata used in the propellant to initiate air bag deployment (advantage is smaller overall packaging according to Takata), the chemical becomes unstable in humid areas (then Kabum).

http://wgntv.com/2015/05/19/takata-air-bag-recalls/

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Not to be condescending, but I believe I said actuators, not airbags. Now up to 34 million cars going in for recall in the US alone. Get them done before Takata has to file for bankruptcy and they have to be made by another manufacturer.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Yes, hence the "as you may know" caveat in my post :biggrin-

From a New York Time article:
" “We are committed to continuing to work closely with N.H.T.S.A. and our automaker customers to do everything we can to advance the safety of drivers,” said Shigehisa Takada, Takata’s chairman and chief executive".

For over 10 years these clowns at Takata denied wrong doing as people are getting killed by their ill designed units. To add insult to injury the other clowns at the NHTSA said "... that the repairs could take several years to complete, but ... that consumers could still drive their car in the meantime", really ? :facepalm:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
NHTSA is putting "more pressure" on Takata. As you may know the airbag is not the issue, it's the Ammonium Nitrate Takata used in the propellant to initiate air bag deployment (advantage is smaller overall packaging according to Takata), the chemical becomes unstable in humid areas (then Kabum).

http://wgntv.com/2015/05/19/takata-air-bag-recalls/

The material - AM - is in a powdered form about the consistency of flour. When subjected to moisture it clumps up into little hard rock like shapes. And when the units ignite, the hard clump like pieces have enough mass to accelerate through the the other components. Thus the first responses, by the manufacture and others were, incorrectly as it turns out, were "limited" to high humidity locales.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The material - AM - is in a powdered form about the consistency of flour. When subjected to moisture it clumps up into little hard rock like shapes. And when the units ignite, the hard clump like pieces have enough mass to accelerate through the the other components. Thus the first responses, by the manufacture and others were, incorrectly as it turns out, were "limited" to high humidity locales.

Jeff, where are you getting yours done? Scarff? Have you done it yet?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Jeff, where are you getting yours done? Scarff? Have you done it yet?

GT is home I'm not yet. Will have this done at Bowen Scarff next month when I do my 120k service.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hmmm, I wonder whether I should get 'er done now, before Takata goes bankrupt, or wait until they do go bankrupt and Ford selects another (hopefully better) supplier ...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hmmm, I wonder whether I should get 'er done now, before Takata goes bankrupt, or wait until they do go bankrupt and Ford selects another (hopefully better) supplier ...

Exactly

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Guys and Girls: Check now (again) via the link posted in post 1: (my car showed 0 recall then, now it shows 1 recall) :

NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319 Recall Date: May 27, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: 15S21

SUMMARY:
IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
SAFETY RISK:
IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Guys and Girls: Check now (again) via the link posted in post 1: (my car showed 0 recall then, now it shows 1 recall) :

NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319 Recall Date: May 27, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: 15S21

SUMMARY:
IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
SAFETY RISK:
IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

Thanks for the heads up. I had the actuator replaced at the dealer a few weeks ago. I just checked and I have the second recall. Needless to say, now living in an area with very high 'absolute humidity', I'm quite concerned.

So, 'remedy not complete' implies that the dealer will now replace the inflator but admits this will not solve the problem?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would gladly apply for a federal waiver to eliminate the damn thing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The GT Guys just replaced my airbag!

Ed