Another 20 millions cars recalled Takata Airbag

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Same stuff Timothy McVeigh used, fertilizer and kerosene.

Takata has said it continues to use ammonium nitrate in its replacement airbags.

But, why should we expect them to be any better?

But the engineering team in the Moses Lake plant raised objections to basing a propellant on such a risky compound. To bolster its case, the team pointed to explosives manuals warning that the compound “tended to disintegrate on storage under widely varying temperature conditions” with “irregular ballistic” consequences, Mr. Lillie said.

Ammonium nitrate cycles through five solid states. As the vehicle goes from receiving the heat of sunshine to the cold overnight, the temperature swing is large enough for the ammonium nitrate to change from one phase to another, experts say. Ammonium nitrate also absorbs moisture from the atmosphere readily. Those two things together make ammonium nitrate tablets prone to damage, experts say.

A focus in the mushrooming recalls has been that the airbags are more susceptible to malfunction in high humidity areas.

“Speaking generally, ammonium nitrate can be unstable. Its crystal structure can change according to temperature,” said Katsumi Kato, an assistant professor in safety engineering at Japan’s Fukuoka University. “It changes the burn rate. It leads to various malfunctions.”

Other airbag makers have said they stayed away from the explosive compound.

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I'll say it again, they should lock up these clowns PERIOD-
Trying to find a So. Cal dealer that will "honor" Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 14B09 (send Ford tech to owner's home for replacement), but if the replacement propellant in the inflator is also Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3), what are doing ?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
but if the replacement propellant in the inflator is also Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3), what are doing ?

I thought someone posted a bulletin from Ford that said this recall taking place now was an interim solution and a permanent answer has yet to be developed.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I checked this with my Ford dealer yesterday for my February 2006 GT being added to the recall. And the answer was yes. Drivers side.

However no replacement units available at this time. An official letter will be sent when the solution is finalized.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I checked this with my Ford dealer yesterday for my February 2006 GT being added to the recall. And the answer was yes. Drivers side.

However no replacement units available at this time. An official letter will be sent when the solution is finalized.

Why not the passenger side as well? Is it because the parts are in short supply and the driver side is more at risk, thus a higher priority.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My car needs both, only want to do it once if I can help it.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Anything new on this? Still no replacement bags??

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I just received my 2nd safety recall on the same bag for my Dodge RAM 2500 on 24 Jun 2015. Even though I had both bags replaced on the RAM a few months ago, I got a 2nd notice and called the dealer thinking it was a mistake since I already had the bags replaced. Was told this was indeed a replacement for the replacement and was put on a waiting list for another bag replacement.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

Just received my second driver airbag inflator housing recall. Safety Recall Notice 15S21/NHTSA Recall 15V-319. Oh joy. My favorite thing to do. Take the GT to my local Ford dealer. :bored

Actually the guys at Santa Monica Ford and Galpin Ford, where I've taken the GT in the past, have always done a fine job. Just always makes me nervous to leave the car at a dealership. I have learned how to change all fluids myself and I know Kendall and Ryan treat it with kit gloves when they have had it for service and upgrades.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Just received my second driver airbag inflator housing recall. Safety Recall Notice 15S21/NHTSA Recall 15V-319. Oh joy. My favorite thing to do. Take the GT to my local Ford dealer. :bored

Actually the guys at Santa Monica Ford and Galpin Ford, where I've taken the GT in the past, have always done a fine job. Just always makes me nervous to leave the car at a dealership. I have learned how to change all fluids myself and I know Kendall and Ryan treat it with kit gloves when they have had it for service and upgrades.

Mine came in the mail today. Drivers side only. From what I was told prior, passenger a/b replacement is based upon owners State of residence.

I paid to have passenger side replaced last summer.Not cheap to buy one of these. Corrosion was very extreme. Claim rejected by Ford only due to my residency in Washington State. No other reason given. Service manager went "up" 3 levels, in my behalf, but that effort was not successful.

To state the obvious..I was not, and am still not, a happy camper in this matter.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I just got a recall for the driver's side air bag only. Both of my air bags are originals. :ack

I take it that the new ones are not the final solution in that they also have probably the same defect using the same type of propellent.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got my parts available letter today. Vegas. Ford dealer network owner says Gaudin in Enterprise.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Got my recall notice yesterday too. Driver's side only. The notice says, "This is a permanent repair for your vehicle and must be performed even if you had an airbag inflator previously replaced as an interim repair." Not happy that the pax side will not be replaced, or was it supplied by a different manufacturer?

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I just got the letter too for Driver side. Strangely enough I had mine replaced at the dealership last year or two when I had the original recall. Is this just an automated letter or do I need to go back and have the replacement replaced again???

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yes, replacement needed.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yes. The first replacement was not the permanent fix. Let's hope fix number two is the final one.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thanks for quick reply Jeff and Kevin. I guess I will call and schedule while the parts are available, Strangely enough I only need to do the drivers side!!! :) BTW, lets plan a local socal drive this summer.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Let dealer run your VIN to see which recall is needed, he has to order the parts for your VIN anyway.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
10-4. WIll do. Thank you guys.