A Cautionary Tale

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
As all of us GT owners have experienced, attention in traffic can be disconcerting at times. The following is an experience which I alluded to in an earlier post where I compared the GT and the 458. Some of you asked for more details, so here it is.

I've been blessed to own a bevy of exotic cars over the years. However, never, until the event discussed herein, have I found myself in harm's way while driving. While my past experience would suggest that the incident was an anomoly, it has certainly given me pause for thought. It's now been about 8 months since it happened. I've reached the point where it's less painful than it is interesting, and finding myself with a few quiet minutes, I thought I'd share the experience for the good of the brotherhood, or at least for your entertainment.

I special ordered my Ferrari 458. After what seemed to be an eternal wait, it arrived looking more spectacular than I could have imagined. There is simply no experience like taking delivery of new Ferrari, especially after painstakingly selecting the color combination and options. Because it landed in the late winter, I decided to transport the 458 down to a warmer climate to enjoy it while the new was still dripping off of it. I had owned the car for about a week when I invited my best car buddy for a sunny weekend drive. We were having a great time, enjoying the sunny desert day, keeping to ourselves and getting familiar with the car through a combination of urban and highway driving. We stopped in town for a burger and a soda, then made our way through stop and go traffic back toward the freeway.

As we were driving from signal to signal, we had the windows down. I heard yelling on my right, and we both looked in the direction of the noise. It was a young gentleman in a scruffy RX8 with a female companion. They were in the lane next to us. He was giving us the thumbs up, smiling, hollering, saying something that appeared to be positive. This, of course, is not the slightest bit unusual for anyone who has ever driven an exotic. We gave the obligatory wave of acknowledgement, returned the smiles; the same basic routine. At this point, the presumption would be that the admirer would go on about his business after the exchange of pleasantries. However, such was not to be the case...

We stopped at the next red light, and our admirer was still next to us. With the cars stopped in traffic, we could now easily hear his manic voice. "That is the most f#$$***& beautiful thing I have ever seen. It's f#$$%&* incredible. I can't believe it" He went on and on. This was not normal. I tried to smile and nod in acknowledgment. Between the colorful language and the somewhat aggressive delivery of the compliments, my bud and I both began to feel uncomfortable. We were stuck next to the guy in traffic, but I immediately started looking for a way out and away. The light turned green, and despite the obvious temptation, there was no way I was going to try to speed off to lose the guy; given his sketchy behavior, that seemed to have disaster written all over it. So, we just sort of crept along, at probably 5 mph below the speed limit, hoping he would be on his way. Our admirer stayed next to us, lurching forward and back, goosing the throttle, in the old school drag race taunt. My buddy and I exchanged a worried glance and tried steadfastly to ignore the surging RX8. He stayed with us as we approached the freeway onramp.

The ramp was a tandem-lane left turn. I was on the inside lane, the RX8 on the outside. I began to make the turn, going quite slowly, probably no more than 10 mph. Again, I felt the urge to simply nail the throttle and be gone. I resisted for the same reason as before. With the widows still down, I was relieved to note the RX8 recede in my peripheral vision.

Then I heard it; the engine note of the RX8 suddenly screamed as if the driver had floored the throttle. For an instant, I thought I would see him shoot past me in the outside lane and be gone. Luck, however, was not on my side. The next sound we heard was the screetch of tires as the RX8 went into wild oversteer. The driver got sideways, overcorrected, and speared us right in the side, just behind the passenger side door. The sickening sound of the impact is something that I will never be able to forget. The unfortunate driver had foolishly goosed the throttle while in mid turn and lost control. We were the innocent victims of his temporary insanity.

I immediately pulled to the side of the ramp. I was in mind numbing shock. My friend, who thankfully was completely uninjured, still had his wits about him and called to report the incident. The driver of the RX8, who was now stopped sideways on the ramp, managed to get his car to the shoulder in front of us. He exited the car and with his head in his hands, and bagan to profusely apologize. He inexplicably approached me as if he were going to hug me, but my buddy intervened and pulled him aside. I don't remember much about this part, but I do remember looking at the guy and asking "why would you do that?" A couple of very kind motorists who had witnessed the low speed circus stopped and offered to be witnesses to the event. One was a middle aged lady who commented that she has been admiring the 458 in traffic and couldn't believe her eyes when the Mazda fishtailed and hit us. She stayed with us until the Highway Patrol arrived and gave her statement. The Officer took our statements, and cited the RX8 driver. The Patrolman was sympathetic to our plight was very efficient and helpful.

We examined the 458. The damage was ugly, and it made my heart sink. The good news, of course, was that the there were no injuries. Moreover, the 458 was still completely drivable.

We commenced our sad journey back to the garage in the wounded, brand new 458. I was speechless and completely heartsick. It wasn't so much the damage as it was the trauma of having waited with such anticipation for the car to arrive, only to have the whole thing go in the crapper because of the stupidity of someone else. I'm not accustomed to being a victim, and I will tell you that I hate it! I operate under the persistent delusion that I can control everything if I just try hard enough, but the one thing you can never control is the behavior of a stranger. In this case, I thank heaven that it was only a car. And yes, in the end, it is only a car. First world problems and all that.

The consequences of the five seconds of foolishness were complex and tedious. After consulting with my wonderful dealer, we decided to send the car to Premier Motorsport in Carson, California for repair. They are a world class Ferrari repair facility. To say that I am a perfectionist would be a gross understatement, and after consulting with Dave and Roger at Premier, I was convinced that they were the right shop for me. They proved to be awesome folks to deal with and their reputation is well earned and deserved. The car seemed to be there for an eternity, but they were actually very efficient and in hindsight, they got that car done more quickly than I could have hoped for otherwise.

Premier gave us good news after the initial damage assessment: while the injury was certainly ugly, it was relatively benign. There wasn't much behind the damaged panel that was hurt in the collision. There was no structural or frame damage. The suspension and alignment of the rear corner were unaffected, and the repair was quite straightforward. They said that it appeared the impact was at very low speed, and that the RX8 was probably hard on the brakes when it punched us. They likened it to a low speed parking lot accident, sort of like an old lady backing into me at very low speed. Best of all, they decided that they could do an all-metal repair to the panel (in other words, no fillers) and have the car back to factory specs without a lot of invasive procedures.

The final result was a masterpiece of detail. They even consciously matched the slight orange peel of the surrounding panels so that the repair was completely undetectable. And believe me, coming from a pathological perfectionist like myself, that really means something. If ever I need the services of a body shop in the future, Premier is the only place I will take my car, even if it means transporting it to California. I was also grateful that the car was not a metallic color; it is so very difficult to repair and match metallic paint.

My insurance company, State Farm, was stellar. They covered all the repairs and my rental car. More importantly, they waived subrogation so that I could go after the insurance of the car that hit me for my diminished value claim, which I successfully accomplished. Please do not ask for the monetary details, as I do not feel it appropriate to share them in a public forum. Suffice it to say that I was made whole, and the car was made whole.

Right after the accident, my very kind dealer offered to order me a new 458, which I accepted. That new car should be here in a couple of months. However, after seeing the work that Premier did, I now realize that I would have been just as happy to have kept the first car and the diminished value check to boot. I will say, however, that it was nice to order another car and get to have the experience again.

I try to ask myself what I could have done differently to avoid this unfortunate series of events, but I have come to the conclusion that it was just the fickle hand of chance. If this is worst thing that ever happens to me in a car, then I will count myself lucky. First world problems indeed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh what a horrible experience. I have been around such idiots in both the Cobra and the GT. Like you tried, I try to position myself so they will move on.

Most glad that noone was hurt, that you were able to repair the car, and that soon you will have a new unmolested one.

Merry Christmas!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Sickening.

Glad your safe.

I have experienced alot of this recently and thought in Cali people would appreciate exotics more

Even parked I have had people try and sit in car, lean over car about to drop their iPhone and even reach down and feel radiator grills

In NYC I would usually rips heads off...but was polite as I am new here

In retrospect I will avoid such and stay far away from stop & go traffic

Enjoy ur new Ferrari

ps, I had my SL backed into while it was in being restored IN THE SHOP doing the restoration ! Blood boiled up it passes

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just awful, but glade you're safe and have been made whole.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Thank you for sharing a very personal review of a very personal experience. I read it several times and I am touched. There is no excuse for the idiocy of the other driver. But as we know, they are all around us, each and every day. The 458 is a very admirable car. Enjoying our cars is important to us, but unfortunately, on occassion, we will be thrust upon by those of lesser valor who feel the need to demonstrate themselves in a manner less fitting. You were the unwitting and unfortunate recipient of such behavior. My heart goes out to you. I look forward to your taking delivery of your new car and enjoying it to the fullest. And cheers to Premier and your dealer for helping you do exactly that. Stay in touch.

JS

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have experienced this type of behavior on numerous occasions. Guys want you to "roll on" with them. You did the right thing. I have practiced every avoidant maneuver you can think of...slow down, pull off, turn early, etc. Glad you and your friend were unhurt. Enjoy your new 458 in good health.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Glad it did not turn out any worse for you. As I started to read your story I immediately was reminded of a similar experience I had in the GT a couple summers back. One get's used to the stares and the thumbs up signals you get while driving such a unique car but this time it was different. Three scruffy looking guys had pulled along side and were gesturing to me through their rolled down windows. Mine were tinted so I pretended not to notice and pulled away normally as the light turned green. Sure enough I caught the next light red and the same guys pulled along side. This time they were yelling and rev'ing the engine wildly. I turned and gave them a quick wave and a nod and hoped that would be the end of it. As the light turned and we pulled away they begin lurching forward and continued to yell out the windows. I ignored them and begin to plan a quick right turn to get away from them. At the next light I made a quick right turn with no signal as they kept traveling straight. I was like damm people are nuts. As I made my way back onto the street I was traveling suddenly the same car quickly came up behind me. As I pulled back on to the main street they pulled up beside me. This time they were not giving me the thumbs up. Instead, they were cursing and telling me my car was the biggest POS they'd ever seen. It didn't matter that I sped up or slowed down. They stayed right beside continuing to yell obscenities. At this point things were getting out of control so once again I looked for a way to get away. At the next light I made a right turn at high speed and nailed it. This time I kept going and made a different route back to the barn. It was one of the nuttiest and disconcerting experiences I ever had in the GT. I will say that with the open pipes and nasty lope in the GT40 that people seem more scared than they do wanting to strike up a conversation lol. Bottom line, there are some nutty people out there and when driving these cars one has to practice avoidance tactics usually several times a drive.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
It's the same old story, song and dance. It never ceases to amaze me how society's hierarchy works, and how genetics play such a significant role in our lives. I am sure that just about everyone on this board has had this happen at one time or another.

I see it this way:

I will drive one of my cars, be it the Viper, the Z or the GT...and invariably, there's always some douchebag looking for a race. I have nothing to prove, and if I did, I'd take it to the track. I will not take the bait. Aside from the fact that it's just plain reckless, it's dangerous and certainly not worth 1/2 the issues I could face if caught, or worse, if I lose control. Besides which, knowing I could beat the asshole is simply good enough for me.

I can't get away from these morons fast enough...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Not long after I got the GT, I took my younger son to Barnes and Nobles to pick up a book. A guy in the parking lot making a commotion about my car actually drove into the car in front of him while he was ogling my GT. Given what many other driver's reactions were to the GT, I was almost surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

BTW, was the other driver "impaired?"

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Glad it has worked out in your favor and you have moved on.

I have had similar run ins with two being so close, I was surprised a collision did not occur. I can only imagine how sick you felt.

Thanks for sharing, I remembered you mentioning it.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
I am hate this type of behavior. I simply take the left lane and make a left turn with little warning or the right lane with a right turn when I am around people like that or simply drive in their blind spot where they cannnot see the car at a slower pace till they give up. If it means driving 5 mph so be it. Most people don't get annoyed by a slow driving super car. I just get nervous around people. I feel your pain and share your worries. I was once tailed in the dark by an unmarked cop car who kept charging up behind me to taunt me to race. At the time I couldn't tell it was a police officer. I was ready to get out of the car and lecture who ever it was when they stopped 1 inch off my bumper after charging up to the car at a red light. I was pissed!!!I thought better to just get them off my bumper because I didnt know who was in that car or how many people might be in the car. I took off hard at the red light but below the limit and sweeped across 2 lanes to get the idiot off my bumper and put the cars beside me directly behind me so as to occupy that space. That is when the lights went on the unmarked car and I was told I was speeding. I had a little chat with the officer and took it to court. Not the same but it comes down to the fact we have no choice in living with some of stupidist people amongst us and some times there is little you can do. I do what I can and hope I don't offend people who aren't dumb and if I do, well it is small price to pay to protect myself. Have you ever been to a car show where a kid takes his hot wheels and runs it along the rear flare of your car while their parent simply look on or someone leans on your car with their hands across their chest trying to look cool with keys hanging out their rear pocket for a picture or trying to lie down on the front of your car like a couch for a picture. Thats people and those are only my car stories. Somethings you cannot change.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is the saying? "You can't fix stupid"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What is the saying? "You can't fix stupid"

Unfortunately, there isn't a supply shortage either.

I'm glad no one was hurt and hopefully Mitty was made whole.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I also have a 458 and GTs etc, and among other things, think the cell phone camera may be the worst invention of all time. And, it is not just the unbalanced types in your horrible RX8 example. I have had dads in minivans full of kids speed up to 90 MPH, to catch up and ride my bumper to take pics .

To add insult to injury the only other guy who lives near me with a red 458 is Justin Verlander-- so lots of folks fly up beside me hoping to see him and his girlfriend, Kate Upton. So I am one of the few people to also disappoint people in a 458.

WM, sorry it happened, but glad it worked out. Thanks for the always well written piece.

Poor Richard

GT Owner
Nov 17, 2012
New Jersey
Throughout time there have always been the "have" and "have-not's" Ignorance, jealously may put you and your trophy in a precarious situation .....be alert at all times!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Wow what a story.I think we all worry about that one stupid or careless idiot. Whether at a car show fearing someone may drop a camera or phone on your beloved beauty. Or as in your case an unfortunate car accident .We all feel your pain!
So what can we do? Who knows .I guess ,be as cautious as possible or drive a Prius!

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
That really sucks that you got hit from that bozo. We have all had those bozos who don't go away. You did the right thing. I usually get away from them as fast as I can. What color and options did you order. Love my 458!!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Thanks for sharing your story and sorry that it happened. I am very glad to hear that it all worked out well on both the repair and financial/insurance side.

It dovetails into my only concern with my "nice" cars. While most reaction is positive, and for the most part appropriate, there is that section of people that just don't have respect for others. I am more than willing to take time to chat and respond to positive people. It is the others that gnaw at the back of your head.

But I just get in my cars and go out and enjoy them. Otherwise the idiots win.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Glad you are OK, W.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That is just sickening to read Mitty. What a drag. You really don't have much option in that situation because if you high tail it out of there, the behavior and results it might encourage are even worse. Good man on being able to keep your cool. Ugh!

Here's to better luck with the next 458! :cheers

...and among other things, think the cell phone camera may be the worst invention of all time.

This.