The Ford GT... Is Coming Back!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Best car ever made... I hope life allows me to keep it to the end.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I don't understand the title/header on this thread.

The GT isn't coming back,.....it never left.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
"What chu talkin bout Willis?"

because it appears to mean less and less of them are driven as we intended.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I couldn't agree more about driving these great machines. I get frustrated by comments by "storied" car....high mileage, etc. A driven GT will not be perfect. These cars that are selling for major money with 2000-3000 miles to me aren't worth it because I want to drive and enjoy my car. Look at Jeff...with over 100k miles. Is his car "storied" or not desirable? On one hand you have the "sellers" bragging about how low miles and "perfect" the car is for sale, then you have the guys on here who drive the heck out of their cars and enjoy them. JMO, but I would only want a low mileage "perfect" car to put up and hope values continue to climb in the next 10 years. Here's a thought too....what if these cars that are garage queens haven't been "maintained" and need fixed after just a few driven miles. Parts may be few and far between because most people that drive these cars figure out the "bugs" that need repaired and those extra parts have been used on all the cars "driving" around.

I know a guy near me who has an F40 and he drives it like it's supposed to be driven. You think it still not worth $1mil plus? He even took it to a track day a few months ago with an Enzo and FGT for a Supercar day. He promised me a "spirited" ride that I still haven't taken him up on yet.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Quoted for posterity because this comes up all the time. If I recall correctly, in the beginning ramp up was supposed to quickly reach ~9 units a day, and for quite a while it was way down near 2/3/4. Took out a pretty big chunk right there.

Yes, we were way off the ramp schedule and 9 units/day.

I think the value thing is tired (and it's going to get a lot more tired and/or contentious), but it's inevitable. While some people don't drive as much to preserve value, some people also don't drive as much because they are worried about the inability to satisfactorily replace parts of the car or the car in its entirety should anything happen to it. I said for years that we were going to drive the piss out of the cars at the Rally for at least a couple years because in the not-too-distant future an expanding number of owners would be less willing to do so. I've been pleasantly surprised that we've had as many owners willing to still hit the road or the track as we have.

For sure value preservation and replacement part availability are very valid concerns. I am just noting an apparent large downside to these concerns and heavy focus in which any replacement part issues seem more serious. It was indeed very cool to see so many people run their FGT's on the track at Vegas and recent Rallys. Dynamic art is vastly better to experience and watch than static IMHO.

Scott

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
"What chu talkin bout Willis?"

Ummmmm....

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
Whatever will come, I am sure it will be a disappointment if Camillo will not be in the design-driver seat.
Desi

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
As someone with over 26,000 miles behind the wheel of a GT (after picking it up with 7 miles from Santa Monica Ford in August 2005) I can confirm they are far more fun to drive than to wax or stare at.

If my car was a flawless, bubble wrapped garage queen with 189 miles it would obviously be worth more money. Instead it's a scarred and scuffed road warrior that's been used as a daily driver, airport shuttle, track car, weekend pleasure toy, show car and road tripper. Drove it from LA to Denver and back in 2008 for my high school reunion, and yes, it was as awesome as you're imagining ("Oh, hi former cheerleader who didn't give me the time of day back in the day. Yeah, this is my ride...and my beautiful wife that gets to ride the ride").

Those memories are invaluable and irreplaceable. As most here know, the car is a freak of mechanical nature. It somehow manages to be the most beautiful, robust and rewarding car on the planet, even a decade after it was designed (and trust me, I've driven enough high-dollar cars to know from which I speak).

The value discussion is always mildly entertaining. But also purely academic for people who have seriously connected with the car. Unless you are in dire financial circumstances I can't grasp how anyone ever sells a GT. They are the once-in-a-lifetime ownership experience every true car guy dreams of.

But that's just me...

Karl and Scott are spot on....
Took my 41K mi. GT to a Masonic car show in Dallas today. Proceeds to the pediatric hospital. 140 mile round trip. Crowd loves these 10 yr old cars. Let some kids sit in it. Got a trophy. Great day overall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 420

Red Ace

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2009
Pacific Palisades, CA
Agree completely. Made to drive.......................
Karl and Scott are spot on....
Took my 41K mi. GT to a Masonic car show in Dallas today. Proceeds to the pediatric hospital. 140 mile round trip. Crowd loves these 10 yr old cars. Let some kids sit in it. Got a trophy. Great day overall.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Did anyone see the video on Ford Instagram today? Just wondering what is being unveiled the 17th & if there's a chance it's the new GT.

http://instagram.com/ford

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Take a look at this thread, especially the later pages, pretty compelling thoughts on what will be announced on Monday.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/29836-Ford-Performance-Heritage

Did anyone see the video on Ford Instagram today? Just wondering what is being unveiled the 17th & if there's a chance it's the new GT.

http://instagram.com/ford

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
While at SEMA last week, Steve V. (S592R) and I had occasion to meet/talk with someone who - believe me - would very likely know whether or not a "new FGT" is presently in the works given this person's 'connections'. Bottom line: This person said "he" didn't believe so (for this-and-that reason).

'Not going to name this person because I don't know if "he" would want to be quoted...but, there isn't a soul here who wouldn't recognize this person's name and association with the current FGT instantly.

'Just "FYI"...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, well if you saw Camilo at SEMA and he told you he doesn't think it's gonna happen, just remember Camilo hasn't worked for Ford in almost 6 years and it's been even longer than that since he's been anywhere near an FMC production studio. For what it's worth.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Where did I reference/mention Camilo? You're assuming facts not in evidence.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Was it Camilo or was it not?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Did I or did I NOT say I wouldn't I.D. the person? 'Not going to start a guessing game...

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Ha! I was thinking the same thing Dave. Your delivery was better than what I had in my head.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks for playing.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006