PPI for a Carrera GT in the Houston area

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Any suggestions for someone that could do a PPI on a Carrera GT? I found one and we've agreed on a price, just need to verify it's the car that it seems to be.

I missed Mitty's CGT, but if anyone knows anyone considering selling, please have them contact me.

A FGT and a CGT. There are a lot of guys with much bigger collections, but you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks,
Tom McComas
hollywoodstunts@me.com
310. 251. 6254

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Wow. Envious to say the least. Try BBI in Huntington Beach.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My 2 favorites !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A FGT and a CGT. There are a lot of guys with much bigger collections, but you gotta start somewhere.

Thanks,
Tom McComas
hollywoodstunts@me.com
310. 251. 6254

A great way to start!

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Thanks guys. #Entrylevel

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Tom. I got your text. I don't know anyone who does CGT's. (For example, I wouldn't have a clue what to look for.) I asked a buddy of mine but he can't do it because of his schedule. What about getting on one of the Porsche-oriented forums? You need someone familiar with the car, IMO. Good luck..... and Great Collection!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hope it works out tom! Hopefully a black cgt?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have looked at a few CGTs out there, hoping to find one too. Prices have gone bonkers on them. Fabulous cars.
Make sure you find someone who really knows them as stuff is VERY expensive to service on them. Makes the service on our FGTs seem like pennies

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
did you buy the 24k mile CGT?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome to the FGT/CGT club. Just had my CGT serviced with fluids and new tires. Had new Pilot Super Sports installed. My car still had '04 date coded Pilots on it. These 2 cars complement each other well. You could go on Rennlist in the CGT/918 section and see if someone can help with a PPI. Important points: clutch thickness, service history, new tires? (these cars are almost 10 years old after all).

Clutch measurement
Over rev history
Zero paintwork
check for anything leaking, front and back
perfect cosmetics
completeness
annual service
insist on a new battery

any competent porsche store should be able to do it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
What is an "Over rev history?"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
What is an "Over rev history?"
Must be the ECU keeping track whenever the engine is over reved.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Must be the ECU keeping track whenever the engine is over reved.

Yeah...and clutch measurement would be...if you've finally learned how to drive it, you need a new one.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm sure DriveBy would help you.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah...and clutch measurement would be...if you've finally learned how to drive it, you need a new one.
It's hard to master, but I'm confident most could learn to drive it while losing less than 25%, 4 owners the clutch is toast. :lol

Leadfoot

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2013
The cars do compliment each other very well. Driving the CGT is a challenge, but an extremely rewarding one at that. It will definitely get your heart pumping! Any Porsche dealer with a certified CGT tech should be able to do a thorough PPI for you. Good luck!!!!!!

Tungsten1663

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2013
I'd put my trust in a certified CGT tech at a Porsche dealership. Rennlist forum - CGT section would be a great place to find one in your area. All the best, CGT is one amazing car! I regretfully sold one 2 years ago, While I really liked everything about it especially the noise it makes! my only dislike was how low the front sits, for local driving a lift system would've been nice, almost impossible not to scrape under the nose.

Last edited:

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Thanks for the great responses. It's black on terra-cotta with 3059 miles. Clutch measurement is 29.5mm. From what I understand, a new clutch is 33 and replacement time is 27mm. It has the complete luggage set, minus the briefcase. Engine out service completed. Cosmetically it's shockingly clean. Didn't think I would like the interior, but it's growing on me. Repair costs are heart-stopping.
Just finalizing the deal so I don't want to0 jinx anything. But of all goes as planned, we should have a CTG and a FGT at Skyrex's next Mojave Mile event looking to do the double ton in two vehicles.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hope the deal goes through!