West Texas
Great Tech info guys!

:cheers

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I just finished my first oil change yesterday. This FAQ link was a big help, especially the part about priming the pump before firing her up after the change.
Some comments: firstly, there are way more than the 19+21 screws mentioned elssewhere in this thread - we counted 60 altogether. Next, I did my change at a buddy's shop, and we found that backing the car onto his alignment pit gave fantstic access to everything. This really made it so easy. Lastly, we found a cat collar inside of the undertray, complete with a little tinkle bell! I had a vision of a chewed-up kitty going round and round in the engine pullies, but my wife pointed out that it had probably somehow got stuck and simply pulled off the collar to free itseslf - a more likely scenario, but a less vivd image! So, if any previous owner of 2006 blue #1853 wants his pet's collar back, let me know. Also, if there's anyone in Houston looking for an easy oil change, let me know and I'll hook you up with Henrik who let me use his shop. Thanks to all previous posters on this thread for providing good background info.

Attachments

• GT oil change-2.jpg
    GT oil change-2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 694
  • GT oil change-1.jpg
    GT oil change-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 693

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oil change update - any new oil specs?

Folks,
I'm planning on doing my own oil change on the FGT. First time for me, though there is a great deal of valuable info here so I suspect it will be a just a bit less complicated than cold fusion or a 5-minute remotely executed sky crane landing on mars.But just. (I actually spent some time with those guys designing the thing a few years back. A lot of funny stories - but I digress).
Anyway, much time has passed since Ford built these cars and I had heard that they may have changed the formula for the Motorcraft oil specified for the car way back. So, is the factory spec Moto oil still the oil of choice? Has anyone tried and recommends any alternative? It's pricey stuff, but I'm happy to use it as long as it is still the best thing for the car.
Thanks in advance,
V

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
IMO, Stick with the OEM Motorcraft.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Far as I can recall, there's been nothing posted here with regard any change in the recommended oil, Rich. Motorcraft's syn 5-50 is still "it" 'far as I know.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They did not change it, they just OK'd it for it use in the Shelby.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They did not change it, they just OK'd it for it use in the Shelby.
'

They did change it, lower the amount of ZDP in the new part number.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Stick with the OE Motorcraft oil.

As Ice relates they did lower the amount of ZDP in the forumulatiion about 4 years ago and switched from a black plastic cap to a now current gold cap on the bottle. Bottle branding label was also slightly changed. The Ford WSS-M2C931-A specification (original) was rolled to a "-B" specification. The part number XO-5W50-QGT was not changed.

IMO, it is best to stick with the OE oil for both the engine and transaxle.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I want to avoid the whole oil debate on this forum. But, I will say I was not happy with the performance and oil anaylsis data I recieved on used Motorcraft 5W50. It shears to a MUCH lighter oil in less than 2000 miles. When drained at 3000, its roughly equivelent to a 5W30.

I switched to Rotella 5W40 full synthetic on the Shelby several years ago and the results were far better, more consistant oil pressures over the life of the oil and much improved analysis numbers. Running it now in my GT. Also already used it in 2 gen sets, a diesel pickup, our motorhome (Ford V-10) and the wifes Harley.

I don't wish to debate the subject, just letting t32b know there are other opinions and options out there. Just like we did not all leave the power train the way Ford built it, some found better service in higher spec fluids as well. YMMV.

blackjadeboss

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2012
OK, followed all the procedures to a T. Tried to prime motor, no oil pressure.

Yes, tank has been filled. And I did wait 20 secs (which seemed like an eternity ;-) )

I even removed the filter and reinstalled to no avail.

Any idea's?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It takes a lot of cranking to get pressure on the gauge. Crank it some more. This is a pretty good test of your battery too.

P.S. I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered. How important is it to actually see pressure on the gauge? Seems to me that cranking for 20-30 seconds is going to pump oil everywhere, albeit at low pressure. Now, if you start the car and don't instantly see pressure, shut it down.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It takes a lot of cranking to get pressure on the gauge. Crank it some more.

^Yes

Keep priming it until you see pressure.

blackjadeboss

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2012
I talked to Craig ( I think it was, I am horrible with names ) at GTGuys and was instructed to do the prime deal for 20 secs, about three times. I did that, fired the motor and saw pressure immediately.

GT is back up and sounding nasty.

On a side note, the prev owner wasn't sure about the exhaust but we hypothesized it was FRPP and it is indeed.

Nice piece workmanship wise for sure.

Thanks, great board!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The GT Guys are Rich Brooks and Denis Breitenbach, and, I think it's fair to say, we all hope that business stays good for them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The GT Guys are Rich Brooks and Denis Breitenbach, and, I think it's fair to say, we all hope that business stays good for them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm doing my share to keep them solvent!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, we'd prefer maintenance and performance work, but how reassuring it is to know that they are there when they are really needed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

I think you got a lot of "help" from someone you met in Sonoma. :ack

Cobraguy

GT Owner

Glad to see you've kept your sense of humour regarding your last day at R8!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Oil pressure gauge worked o.k. before? Try another 20 seconds. If all you did was change oil and put new filter in shouldn't be a problem. Did you try to start engine, seems like next logical step. If no oil pressure within a few seconds shut down. After that the next thought is pressure sending unit.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I talked to Craig ( I think it was, I am horrible with names ) at GTGuys and was instructed to do the prime deal for 20 secs, about three times. I did that, fired the motor and saw pressure immediately.

GT is back up and sounding nasty.

Thanks, great board!

Bro
Now you need to come over in the Spring and help me with mine.