Changing the oil

blackjadeboss

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2012
I talked to Craig ( I think it was, I am horrible with names ) at GTGuys and was instructed to do the prime deal for 20 secs, about three times. I did that, fired the motor and saw pressure immediately.

GT is back up and sounding nasty.

On a side note, the prev owner wasn't sure about the exhaust but we hypothesized it was FRPP and it is indeed.

Nice piece workmanship wise for sure.

Thanks, great board!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The GT Guys are Rich Brooks and Denis Breitenbach, and, I think it's fair to say, we all hope that business stays good for them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oil change update - any new oil specs?

Folks,
I'm planning on doing my own oil change on the FGT. First time for me, though there is a great deal of valuable info here so I suspect it will be a just a bit less complicated than cold fusion or a 5-minute remotely executed sky crane landing on mars.But just. (I actually spent some time with those guys designing the thing a few years back. A lot of funny stories - but I digress).
Anyway, much time has passed since Ford built these cars and I had heard that they may have changed the formula for the Motorcraft oil specified for the car way back. So, is the factory spec Moto oil still the oil of choice? Has anyone tried and recommends any alternative? It's pricey stuff, but I'm happy to use it as long as it is still the best thing for the car.
Thanks in advance,
V

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
Twin Cities
IMO, Stick with the OEM Motorcraft.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The GT Guys are Rich Brooks and Denis Breitenbach, and, I think it's fair to say, we all hope that business stays good for them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I'm doing my share to keep them solvent!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Far as I can recall, there's been nothing posted here with regard any change in the recommended oil, Rich. Motorcraft's syn 5-50 is still "it" 'far as I know.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, we'd prefer maintenance and performance work, but how reassuring it is to know that they are there when they are really needed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think you got a lot of "help" from someone you met in Sonoma. :ack

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
If you can safely start the car in 0 degree with 5w then wouldn't using a 10w or 15w be no worse in 70F?
The lower the oil weight, the faster the pressure build throughout the engine. The pressure build is what you want.

As the engine warms up, the "multi" weight adjusts accordingly.

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Great Falls, VA
JcThorne and Indy: Thanks for the responses. I'll search the archives for more on JC's dissertation.

PeteK

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2014
Great Falls, VA
Okay I searched the archives and found JC's discussion on Rotella and Motorcraft viscosity breakdown in this thread, but not any other threads on the topic of oil viscosity. Did I miss anything? I'm still not closing all the gaps in my knowledge of tribology versus what has been written here.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I have called four auto stores near me and none of them carry/stock the oil 5W-50 oil ...they do have a "Fram" filter but not the oil.

Last edited:

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
The lower the oil weight, the faster the pressure build throughout the engine. The pressure build is what you want.

As the engine warms up, the "multi" weight adjusts accordingly.
Not to change topic but during the cash for clunkers when we had to blow up motors we added tires shine and ran the car. It lived. What's the rating on that ws 40 or wheel shine 40 lol. Ok back to topic.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Check with your Ford dealer if you want Motocraft oil.

I use Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 which is readily available from most automotive supply stores and even Amazon. Would suggest a Motorcraft or the identical Mann filter, not the Fram.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Glad to see you've kept your sense of humour regarding your last day at R8!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They did not change it, they just OK'd it for it use in the Shelby.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
They did not change it, they just OK'd it for it use in the Shelby.
'

They did change it, lower the amount of ZDP in the new part number.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Okay I searched the archives and found JC's discussion on Rotella and Motorcraft viscosity breakdown in this thread, but not any other threads on the topic of oil viscosity. Did I miss anything? I'm still not closing all the gaps in my knowledge of tribology versus what has been written here.
Not sure what it is you are still looking for.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Pete,

I do think JC’s discussion on Rotella is very convincing especially if that oil continues to be classified as a “truck or diesel” oil and thus is allowed the ZDDP additive. Taking his advice as very logical based, supplemented with measured data, I now use T5 Rotella in my one remaining vehicle which is not using a full synthetic oil recommended by the manufacturer.

Good that you searched the Forum on the topic but perhaps there is less specific information as to “oil viscosity” genealogy discussions and more of well I can buy XXX product at WalMart/Pep boys so why do I have to spend YYY per quart to use the recommended Motorcraft oil. And my engine just purrs using the XXX oil.

Owners certainly can use whatever oils they want to in their engines. No argument here. Go for whatever you feel comfortable using; it’s your engine. But for me (and only me) by using the oil recommended by Ford for our GT engine, knowing this oil was developed alongside the engine, used in all the development/durability testing and continues to undergo batch spot checking by the QA team at Ford to insure constant formulation, it is just one thing I do not worry or think about.

So what “gaps in my knowledge of tribology” still remain?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I use Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 which is readily available from most automotive supply stores and even Amazon. Would suggest a Motorcraft or the identical Mann filter, not the Fram.
I also converted. To much data shows Rotella holds up better and goes for $23 per gallon

Re filter: if they don't have a Purolator or known good brand - go with the Mann as Ford just re boxed the Mann filter for the first couple of years.

Fram is known for lack of Quality and oil filter breakdown. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I

How long with MoTo keep this 3rd blend as the original 5w50 recommended for the Fgt is long gone.

Last edited: