I wrecked the GT

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
There may be a very big cost savings to this approach. Ship the car to Detroit, buy the parts in the U.S. without U.K. import taxes, pay U.S. labor ("labour" for you) rates and ship it back to the U.K. as a U.K. registered car thus no import taxes. I've just spent the weekend at Roketman's place where The GT Guys have been working on our cars. Great guys who know these cars as well as anyone and who have fixed many, many wrecked GTs.

Rob

They just finished doing the exact same fix to my dads GT, he was rear ended by a little old lady doing 40+ mph while he was sitting at a RED LIGHT.... did I say RED????

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Good luck with getting your new GT. Glad to hear you are in good shape. Did you go NASCAR on the Porsche guy in the pits? :lol

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Thanks guys for the kind words and support....

A couple of answers....

I was driving on Hoosiers and it was the 1st lap after a 10 minute red flag.... I know, I know... silly.... but you know how it is....

Regardong the McLaren I was one of the 1st on the waiting list, vut after having been to Woking and looked at the car up close I cancel my order. It may well be the fastest thing out there, but it just leaves me cold, and it is getting that type of press here in the UK now...

As per fixing the car.... Roush/Mountune would do a sterling job and the labour estimate is under $5k. The 2 big ticket items are the rear clamshell and gearbox....

It is fixable and my plan was to get her going... what spoiled everything is the insurance company asking $100k for me to buy it back, at which point it doe not make any financial sense.

I am sure the car will show up on ebay or else, and at that point we'll see how much they are really selling for, but right now I am stuck....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sorry about your accident. You are obviously not an American. We are NEVER at fault for ANYTHING! We would be suing the tire manufacturer, the track, the race organizers, the sucker that created the sun that got in our eyes, Ford for making a clamshell out of tinfoil instead of 500lbs of solid steel as it should be, etc.

Super glad you are OK and hope to see you back in the GT saddle soon!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not to change topic at all - but curious why you didn't like the McLaren?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Glad you are okay and that you had insurance that covered the track.

Best of luck in your new GT search!!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I bet Shelby will have you back in a super nice GT ASAP.
Or call Matech but insist on the Mac delete (english humor)

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Not to change topic at all - but curious why you didn't like the McLaren?

I don't know. It is difficult to put a finger on it. I do believe that a supercar needs to generate some emotional excitement at the mere sight of it. The macca left me really cold. A bit like a cross between an Evora and a Noble. When I was a kid I remember seeing the 911 Turbos with those impossibly huge wings at the back, or a Countach and my jaw would hit the floor. Later in my teenage years seeing an F40 or a Diablo would make my year.... Visual impact is the 1st element that distinguish a supercar in my opinion.

Plus I am not into collecting cars. I just drive them. So it would not make sense for me to have a FGT and a MP4-12C in the garage fulfilling the exact same need... So the Ford would have had to go... And there was no chance.

Even now that my Ford has gone I don't regret for a second having cancelled the Mclaren order.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Sorry about your accident. You are obviously not an American. We are NEVER at fault for ANYTHING! We would be suing the tire manufacturer, the track, the race organizers, the sucker that created the sun that got in our eyes, Ford for making a clamshell out of tinfoil instead of 500lbs of solid steel as it should be, etc.

Super glad you are OK and hope to see you back in the GT saddle soon!

Thank you!

But you know one thing? the accident really made me think about the whole situation...

850hp belong to LeMans, with aero packages and a pro driving them.... Come on, let's be honest. The mighty Matech GT1 has 40% less torque, slicks, racing suspensions, 50% less weight.... Maybe I was a little naive...

So i have come to the conclusion that for the next car I will need a massive wing and a proper front splitter.... :biggrin:biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...So i have come to the conclusion that for the next car I will need a massive wing and a proper front splitter.... :biggrin:biggrin

Contact Martin Bartek at Matech Concepts in Switzerland. I'm sure he'd be happy to sell you one of the Matech Ford GT3's.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Would Matech do the repairs? Surely some of their guys wouldn't mind a little moonlighting money :)

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
The 08/09 championship winning Matech GT3 is for sale.... clearly a better track day car than a modded Ford GT... ;)

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Even now that my Ford has gone I don't regret for a second having cancelled the Mclaren order.

That says it all right there. :thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I think that is a felony in the US to crash a FGT???

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I must have missed this first time around - really sorry to hear about your GT, but glad you're OK. Dave mentioned he'd had a bad one in for repair, but didn't say whose it was. Did you have it insured for a decent value?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Thank you!

So i have come to the conclusion that for the next car I will need a massive wing and a proper front splitter.... :biggrin:biggrin

Stormcat may be able to help you there not to mention his braking system!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Sorry for your loss Matteo!