Need Quick Reply Please

H

HHGT

I am leaving early to put new tires on the Red/Wht GT - Potenza Scuderia. One of the Dad's at my kids school owns a sizeable trie shop and has offered to put them on in exchange for a ride - he owns a Carrera 4S and is a genuine car guy
I need some quick info please.

Comments on the IBS 2000 Wheel Balancing Machine
Torque Specs for the lugs
Recommended Tire Pressure for the Potenzas

Also the current Goodyears are going on the newly orange painted 6 spoke wheels for the Heritage. Does anyone have any detailed pictures/instructions on mounting the knock offs.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Torque Specs:
98lbs - ft or 133 nm. this is the spec.

I can't remember off-hand which tire balancer was recommeded to me before. I do recall that it had to be able to handle the width of the tire. 3-D graphical i/f was important for properly spacing the weights. They also used a special bar so as to not mar the wheel. I'll keep looking.

H

HHGT

Thanks Herb.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
SteveA posted:
Costco, they had the latest high tech Coats machine

Hunter (Road Force) balancing equipment - Hunter DSP 9700

I spent the $25,000 for the Hunter Road Force machine and the Hunter Tire machine. Combined they do "Force Matching"

The machines make you mark the tire and rim and then lign up the dots for the best rolling assembly. The machine is special because it holds the rim while it turns the tire to line up the dots. Then the Road Force drum comes down on the tire with 1400 lb/ft to simulate the tire on the road with the wieght of the car on it.

Most Discount Tire (Brand name) stores have the Hunter 9700

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Shadowman posted:
The torque is 150 Nm or 111 lb-ft

IndyGT Posted:
And another thing, many posts here on the Forum specify the lug torque is to be 111 ft lbs. Yet Owners guide page 118 says 1/2 x 20 wheel lugs torque to 100 ft lbs. If the Ford guide says 100 ft lbs why do others "think" the torque should be increased to 111 ft lbs?

fjpikul reply posted:
The 111 torque comes from the Techical Service Manual.

Spirit Posted:
The GT Guy told me 100 ft. lbs. is the correct torque to use [there are many errors in the Owners Manual and the Shop Manual].

Sorry Sam. It appears there is ~13lbs of delta from one source to the next. Not alot, but interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Thanks again Herb.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GTGuys have confirmed on numerous occasions it should be 100 for the lug nut torque. Had my tires done on the Hunter. Seems to be THE most common and best way to do it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have seen both 100 and 110 for the torque numbers. I chose to use the lower value of 100 for my car. Always verify the torque when reinstalling the wheel after driving the car for a few miles and again the 1st time after any real aggressive driving. Before going to an open track I checked the torque, it was 100. Drove to the track (about 110 miles), torque still OK, drove one 20 minute session, torque loose (maybe 80 lbft)! Re-torqued to 100 and it was fine for 3 more 20 minute sessions.

As one of great our great presidents have said, and I often repeat, "trust, but verify."

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
All good information and Jay's reference post gives very good advice on torquing "procedure" however it does not call out the torque value for the lug nut proper.

I have used the 111 ftlbs value throughout my ownership inclusive of track time. I am sure the 100 would be fine as well and if recommended by Dennis and Rich that certainly would be good enough endorsement for me. They absolutely know the car through and through.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I doubt anyone would have a problem if they keep the wheels torques to 100 ftlbs.
Hunter Road Force balancing is the only way to go. Don't even think about trying anything else.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
torque = 110 ft lbs. I'm running the scudy tires try 30 to 32 lbs. of air The contact patch seems to be about the same as the Good Years.. ??

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
The official Torque was 133 nm (98.1 ftlbs.), plus or minus 30 nm. (22.1 ftlbs.) Quite a spread, so as the GT Guys said, 100 ftlbs. works great. Thats the number we used when we installed the wheels at Wixom. :banana

F.Y.I. , All lug nuts were hand torqued, and that number recorded in the book that traveled with the car. :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
LOVE to get that book in 5 years when it is destined to be destroyed after the 7 year holding period (or what ever)....... All the notes etc. Be a great addition to the car, I remember seeing and looking in them at rally I.....

F.Y.I. , All lug nuts were hand torqued, and that number recorded in the book that traveled with the car. :thumbsup

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
Just a heads up about tire removal and mounting. I had to have one of my rear tires replaced. I told the shop that it was a very expensive wheel and that I did not want any marks on it. They said "no problem". Alas, when my wheel / tire was brought back to me there was a row of dots marking the circumference of the inside of the wheel rim. :thumbsdow When I brought this to their attention they responded with "Oh, we thought you meant no marks on the outside of the wheel". What retards! Apparently the machine they were using clamps to the inside of the wheel. Does anyone know of a shop in Orange County, CA that can dismount and mount tires without clamping to any visible surface? I know that I can't be the first person this has happened to!?

:willy:willy:willy

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just a heads up about tire removal and mounting. I had to have one of my rear tires replaced. I told the shop that it was a very expensive wheel and that I did not want any marks on it. They said "no problem". Alas, when my wheel / tire was brought back to me there was a row of dots marking the circumference of the inside of the wheel rim. :thumbsdow When I brought this to their attention they responded with "Oh, we thought you meant no marks on the outside of the wheel". What retards! Apparently the machine they were using clamps to the inside of the wheel. Does anyone know of a shop in Orange County, CA that can dismount and mount tires without clamping to any visible surface? I know that I can't be the first person this has happened to!?

As a side note:

Son Tran (714-742-6855) as had some "good press" here on The 'Forum re: fixing curb rash. I can't imagine your inner wheel pblm would be any big deal for him either.

'Have seen "Mag Masters" discussed favorably on other forums too (714-541-9777).

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
As a side note:

Son Tran (714-742-6855) as had some "good press" here on The 'Forum re: fixing curb rash. I can't imagine your inner wheel pblm would be any big deal for him either.

'Have seen "Mag Masters" discussed favorably on other forums too (714-541-9777).

Thanks for the info EP!:cheers

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Gill, check the link I provided to Jay's post for a guy that I believe is in your area.

Also,

SteveA Posted:
Coast General Performance can do it, ask for Ron. His prices are good and doesn't care if you watch. 714 540 5710

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
Gill, check the link I provided to Jay's post for a guy that I believe is in your area.

Also,

SteveA Posted:
Coast General Performance can do it, ask for Ron. His prices are good and doesn't care if you watch. 714 540 5710

Kingman,
Thanks! Maybe I should have read the whole thread with attachments huh?
Great info!!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
.....His prices are good and doesn't care if you watch.....

Kingman,
Thanks! Maybe I should have read the whole thread with attachments huh?
Great info!!!

Now, I can't verify if Steve was talking about tires...or the guy and his honey bunny...:ack

Last edited: