ZL1 Launch in the News

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I do contend, however - as I have all along - that GM will best Ford's 650, and then Ford will best GM's 'whatever', and so forth. I can't see it being otherwise...unless, as I also said, the govt and/or the ins. co.s pull the plug - or put a cap on - the whole process. (The same game was played all thru the 60's, except back then it was a 3 company game.)

Seeing as how the top dog in Chevy's lineup is the 638 HP monster ZR1....I really don't see the Camaro besting that number anytime soon. And if they are, the LS9 is already sitting on the shelves, fully ready to make 650+ hp with minimal calibration changes if they want to. But it'll still be heavier than the Mustang until the next platform change, regardless.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I agree for the most part - especially about the "heavier" thing! Why the devil the Camaro has to weigh, what, 4,000+ lbs.(?) when the 'Stang weighs in at 400 lbs. or so less (or whatever it is) is beyond me.

But on the h.p. front, as 'mentioned before, LPE already makes a 700+ h.p. (and lesser) Camaro kit(s). If LPE can, GM certainly should be able to...and provide the internals needed for the mill to "live" to boot. But, who knows when that will actually come about. The only sure bet IMO is that it's gunna happen (unless govt regs and/or ins. co.s prevent it), and when it does, the 'Vette mill will be bumped up accordingly for mkting reasons. In any event, one can bet the R&D people at Ford, GM and Chrys. aren't just sitting on their hands with the idea of playing 'catch up' later if/when needed. They all have 'skunk works' projects going on.

('An aside: Frankly, I'm astonished that the 'hand wringers' haven't stepped in already! :biggrin)

:cheers

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:facepalm:

:lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sounds like they may miss the entirety of MY12 at this point. That is...insane. Everyone is saying it's a software issue, but that has to be one hell of a software issue to blow the entire launch year of the vehicle.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
WOW, as it is a package they are familliar with in the Vettes.... As I said in a post above.... whoops.... Bet there might be some stress in that team....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, it's amazing how quiet they've gotten. Breaks my heart.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Breaks my heart.

Somehow, I doubt your sincerity. :frown :facepalm::biggrin

If the delay actually lasted later into the summer, do you actually think Ford/Shelby could pickup a conquest buyer? Or is a Chevy ponycar buyer a Bowtie guy for life?

H

HHGT

If Chevy introduced a 1000HP mid engine camaro would a "Ford Only" loyalist buy it? I don't think so. I never understood brand loyalty. :shrug

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If Chevy introduced a 1000HP mid engine camaro would a "Ford Only" loyalist buy it? I don't think so. I never understood brand loyalty. :shrug

Ask the Apple lovers would they buy and Andriod.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If the delay actually lasted later into the summer, do you actually think Ford/Shelby could pickup a conquest buyer? Or is a Chevy ponycar buyer a Bowtie guy for life?

Maybe a couple but not many. You probably either really like the way the Camaro looks or don't.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Problem will be as usual.... demand and therefore ADM, will way out do supply, no matter what camp your coming from.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Yeah, it's amazing how quiet they've gotten. Breaks my heart.

Add this to the roller coaster camaro vid!

Evidently over at camaro 5 they are even banning members that are sick of waiting. It is a sad sight:(

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
An Autoblog post on the situation. Had to be an extra cost cluster F to get all the shipped cars back to Oshawa....

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/chevy-camaro-zl1-production-delay-could-mean-very-limited-2012-m/

H

HHGT

I will wager its a cover-up to up the HP ante. If I was that one customer I would have kept the car and painted Sonic Orange.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol :facepalm:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sound like a limited number of 2012 followed by a higher HP 2013. :lol

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
We hit 202.67 mph with our yellow ZL1 that ran 10.7 1/4 recently. I'm told there will be video coming somewhat soon. I'm glad Ford built a 200 MPH mustang :)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
We hit 202.67 mph with our yellow ZL1 that ran 10.7 1/4 recently. I'm told there will be video coming somewhat soon. I'm glad Ford built a 200 MPH mustang :)
Emissions cert car?