GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
On Thursday, a Chevrolet spokesman told Inside Line that initial shipments of Camaro ZL1 are "on hold."

In a telephone call, spokesman Monte Doran said, "Through the standard quality assessment process....we found a potential concern that we want to address." Doran told Inside Line the issue was not software-related, as reported by some media, but declined to be more specific.

Not enough HP to keep up with the GT500. :lol

H

HHGT

Bumping HP and tweaking performance would be my guess. Regardless, to release the ZL1 now in the midst of the 2013 GT500 going on tour is bad marketing.

Dave, can we get a sequel to the Hitler video done in honor of this breaking news.:lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whoops....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Probably forgot to add the brake pads. Again.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Probably forgot to add the brake pads. Again.

Don't be picky. Does anyone really know what the hold is about?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

All of the buyers dried up and put deposit on GT500s. :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Supercharged V8 being ditched in favor of EcoBoost........ :confused

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

Government intervention?? :bored

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As someone around here suggested a while back, if Ford creates a 650 'Stang...GM will counter with 655-60 Camaro...then Ford will create 670 and so on until either the govt and/or the ins co.s pull the plug ala 1970. (For mkting purposes, the 'Vette could be bumped accordingly.) 'Not saying that's what this current 'delay' is all about...but, it sure wouldn't surprise me any.

A 'crash' GM horsepower R&D program wouldn't even be needed. LPE evidently already has a "kit" for the Camaro that produces 772 hp. A black Camaro so equipped (and so labeled) was at The Pavilions in Scottsdale last Saturday. ('Didn't have an intercooler on it [ala ZR1 transplant] either.) LPE's website indicates they have Camaro engine kitS (plural) that develop "700 + hp"...so, I'm assuming this black Camaro must have had one of those.

Incidently, it would appear MOPAR reeeeeally needs to get off the dime in this area...:facepalm:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As someone around here suggested a while back, if Ford creates a 650 'Stang...GM will counter with 655-60 Camaro...then Ford will create 670 and so on until either the govt and/or the ins co.s pull the plug ala 1970. (For mkting purposes, the 'Vette could be bumped accordingly.) 'Not saying that's what this current 'delay' is all about...but, it sure wouldn't surprise me any.

This is literally just not how the car business works. They already delivered a car to the customer and had to go get it back. By the time they're anywhere near production, they are nowhere near being able to make material changes to the vehicle. They don't go back and recalibrate an engine that is already being produced that is already near OEM reliability limits, re-certify and then start over.

The hold is probably just due to some stupid QC issue. Could be the stereo or a loose trim piece for all anyone knows. Happens all the time. I did hear a few Camaros had popped airbags while aggressively driving curbs at tracks, and given GM's recommendation on doing that in ZL1 for the best lap time, possible that has something to do with it.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
The only thing we can be certain of right now is that the delivered car will show up at Barrett-Jackson 2032 as a "One of one ZL1".

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
By the time they're anywhere near production, they are nowhere near being able to make material changes to the vehicle. They don't go back and recalibrate an engine that is already being produced that is already near OEM reliability limits, re-certify and then start over.

Quite true, but who's to say there hasn't been another engine (possibly more than one) in the works since before the 650 'stang was announced...and who knows for what length of time the current 'hold' might be in play? Remember that the entire FGT concept went from drawing board to driveway in 18 months.

The hold is probably just due to some stupid QC issue. Could be the stereo or a loose trim piece for all anyone knows. Happens all the time.

Something like that is the far more likely scenario to be sure. But regardless, whereas MOPAR seems to be quite content to have egg on its face in the h.p. department, you can bet your favorite pair of boots GM is not.

In any event, if this h.p. thing keeps going, at some not-too-distant point the suspension boys are really going to have their work cut out for them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The only thing we can be certain of right now is that the delivered car will show up at Barrett-Jackson 2032 as a "One of one ZL1".

Hey, there you go, Richard! Maybe you should offer your "one of four" for it! Whadaya think?! 'Big opportunity??? :wink

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Hey, there you go, Richard! Maybe you should offer your "one of four" for it! Whadaya think?! 'Big opportunity??? :wink

No thanks - I'll keep the "Jag-in-the-Box"! :biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

:rofl:rofl Post of the day! And that is why I like this forum!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Quite true, but who's to say there hasn't been another engine (possibly more than one) in the works since before the 650 'stang was announced...and who knows for what length of time the current 'hold' might be in play? Remember that the entire FGT concept went from drawing board to driveway in 18 months.

Dude, again, this is not how the car business works. :lol It doesn't matter what else they were working on. GM is not going to do all the development, announce all the specs, do a major media launch on a car, build hundreds of them and put them in prep for shipping, and then go back to the drawing board to sub in some different components because of a competitor's car.

I'll make you a deal. If they built a couple hundred ZL1s, announced there were supplier and marketing constraints over a hood components, and then end up changing the hp rating to 660, I'll buy you one. :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
DBK - OK, what color is your GT500 gonna' be?

And, FYI I am currently trying to reserve a ZL1 (for transportation purposes only) at the local rental car agency for the October NOLA event. :rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Planning on solid black.

I wouldn't risk that. They may end up on hold still. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Dude, again, this is not how the car business works.

Aaaaaaaaah, but in the past few years, how the car business works seems to have changed a little bit.

In any event, it seems you're forgetting what I originally said, which was, " 'Not saying that's what this current 'delay' is all about...but, it sure wouldn't surprise me any." You've chosen to interpret that as meaning my position is the "hold" is soley for an immediate engine swap/h.p. upgrade.

I do contend, however - as I have all along - that GM will best Ford's 650, and then Ford will best GM's 'whatever', and so forth. I can't see it being otherwise...unless, as I also said, the govt and/or the ins. co.s pull the plug - or put a cap on - the whole process. (The same game was played all thru the 60's, except back then it was a 3 company game.)

Anyway, I'm going back to the Mariner's game...:leaving: