Your Opinion - Is it a GT40?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Okay This will work and keep everyone happy - FORD GT MARK V. Make it so. The GT goes back to the original name and the Mark V signifies the continuation of the breed.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I give up since all my service records from the dealer describe the car as a Mustang GT...

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<Safir Engineering Ltd of Byfleet, Surrey, to build a limited run of a 1980's version of the GT40, known as the MkV.

The MkV chassis was slightly updated by Len Bailey, of the original design team, utilizing a fabricated steel monocoque rather than pressed steel panels. New body panels were constructed using original moulds and the MkV became outwardly almost indistinguishable from the MkI and carried a chassis number originally registered for production. >>
Interesting- didn't know about those.

So, Ford GT Mark VI ?

When I first read this thread, I wasn't too sure about the GT100 idea- then I went to look at the headlights on my car again. Everyone should go out and look at the driver's side headlight cluster - the "100" is spelled out amazingly clearly!! Kinda cool.

I sure wish they had called it the GT44. Just the other day I was listening to someone tell me "oh yes, my neighbor just got a Ford GT"- which, of course, was a Mustang....when I mentioned that a Ford GT has nothing to do with the Mustang line, I got blank stares. Later in the day, I looked at a Mustang GT in a parking lot- the only designation on the each of its sides was a prominent "GT", spelled out in almost exactly the same stylized script that is found on our GT's!!!! No wonder the general public is so confused!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
What I know so far

Well, looks like the question did raise some controversy like I thought it would.

Here is what I know and think to this point (if anyone cares). Naturally, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt since most of the information I have found came from the internet and we know how that is. :bs

OK, here goes. The GT40 was originally named the GT. One site indicated that it was named the 40 not only because of the height, but because there was a second GT concept car that was 44 inches tall (yes fans, it was the GT44) and there needed to be a distinction between the two cars. The GT40 name seems to have stuck even though they went into the Mark * * * designations.

Ford was definitely going to name the new car the GT40 :thumbsup (see the trademark info I posted), but ran into the snag with Safir :thumbsdow . I read somewhere that Safir got one of the two prototypes of the new GT40 for use of the name (again, internet source, so ..........). WOW, that was a good move by Safir.

When Ford and Safir could not come together, the 40 was dropped, and GT remained. So, in a sense, the car is the same name as the original.

As to my question if I am a poseur, I guess the answer is “no”. :banana The car is for all matters an updated version of the original 60s car. That makes it as much a GT40 as any updated car is the same name as the earlier. The Z-06 is further removed from a 1953 Corvette than our GT is from the original, but the Z-06 is still a Corvette - just updated. The GT's (old and new) have intentionally a lot in common, but ours has a lot of technological advantages over the older ones. The 60's version was created by "THE" racers of that period, ours was created by "THE" racers of our period.

So as to current name so we are not Mustangs (not that there is anything wrong with that - a brief moment of PC)? : :willy

We have a lot of choices, and they are all correct. Obviously GT works since that was the original name in the 60's. GT40 also works since it is a continuation (upgrade) of that model. If we go to height, GT44 works (or actually 44.3, but who's coiunting), though there appears to have been an earlier GT44. “New GT40" is in line, as is “05 / 06 GT40" to distinguish it from the old. Hate to say it, but I am still rather favoring the GT100. Not only does the number indicate a later, updated version, it does indicate that the car is a GT (as the original) was a commemorative rebirth of one of the greatest cars of all time, and the centennial car for Ford. What I forgot about (though I had posted it on another thread) but vyprgt2 reminded me of is that the car already has the name on it - the 100 in the lights. Maybe that is the key to naming - coincidence? I think not. :lol

Toss around GT100. The “pet” name has to come from somewhere.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Mark IV...so you got a Lincoln?

Mark V and Mark VI. Mention either one of them and most people conjure up an image of a different Ford product. The Lincoln Continental Mark V's and Mark VI's of the 70's and 80's as they (like the Mustang GT) are far more common. That only leads to further confusion. But for the $40,000,000.00 demand by the name copyright holder Ford fully intended to call the car GT40. It's the only name that properly identifies the car without a lot of further clarification. When I say 2006 GT40 people know exactly what it is and they normally follow up with..........."No shit?!?!" :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes, there is a lot of confusion with the name "Ford GT." When I inquired about a Ford GT, most every dealer responded, sure we have them, what color and options do you want. They assumed a wanted a Mustang GT, not a Ford GT. Most of the public is not aware of the recreation of the GT and never have heard about the trademark issue. Therefore they automatically associate GT, with Mustang GT.

It is a shame the Safir didn't at least sub-license the trademark back to Ford for a reasonable price. I don't think Safir even netted more than 40 million in the last 5 years of operation. If Safir played their hand right it could have been a win, win for all parties.

I just just drive and enjoy the car without concern as to what people think I am driving. They will know soon enough if they see the car!

BlackICE

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Forgot the other option that Ford called it.

Petunia.

So, Petunia, GT, GT40, GT44, GT44.3, GT100, new GT40, 05 GT40, 06 GT40.

WOW. I went from a wanna be poseur to having an identity crisis :willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have to go along with Chip's logic. Safir has stated that the rumor that they wanted millions for their trademark was just that, a rumor. I am happy I own a Ford GT. :wink

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
ChipBeck said:
When I say 2006 GT40 people know exactly what it is and they normally follow up with..........."No shit?!?!" :eek

If the $40 mil rummor is true, then this is the ultimate F-ck you to Safir for wanting that much money, everybody calls the car a GT40 anyway...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
40 million $

abolfaz said:
If the $40 mil rummor is true, then this is the ultimate F-ck you to Safir for wanting that much money, everybody calls the car a GT40 anyway...

You nailed it. A lifelong friend of mine (since age 5) owns and operates Santa Margarita Ford in California. He has recently been on the National Dealer Council and was told this by a high ranking officer of Ford. Ford was willing to pay a reasonable amount to reacquire the name trademark but not 40 million. Ford's response was indeed, F-ck you. We'll call it GT and our customers will call it a GT40. Safir got nothing. :ack

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
ChipBeck said:
You nailed it. A lifelong friend of mine (since age 5) owns and operates Santa Margarita Ford in California. He has recently been on the National Dealer Council and was told this by a high ranking officer of Ford. Ford was willing to pay a reasonable amount to reacquire the name trademark but not 40 million. Ford's response was indeed, F-ck you. We'll call it GT and our customers will call it a GT40. Safir got nothing. :ack

So, other options. The GTFU, GT40FU, or the GT40FUA (f**k you anyway)? :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gt40fu

AZGT said:

THAT, was funny :lol :lol . And the perfect post Safire name. I may even put it on my license plate. GT40FU :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
AZGT said:

LMAO. Next time I think I will tell my wife I'm gonna go out for a spin in theF-U :lol

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Vin numbers?

Am I mistaken? Anyone able to specifically decode the VINs?

Did I hear or read somewhere that the "40" in the VIN number after the letter and before the car number was a reference to the car being a "GT40"?

5Y40xxxx

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
My vin has S66Y400..2. I will try to find a web site that explains it. Below are some links to the GT40 - Safir Spares Ltd conflict about rights ot the GT40 name.

From Wikipedia Web Search:

The Ford GT40 was a notable sports car and winner of the 24 hours of Le Mans four times in a row, from 1966 to 1969. It was built to win long-distance sports car races against Ferrari (who won at Le Mans six times in a row from 1960 to 1965).

"The car was named the GT40 after the Grand Tourisme category it was intended to compete in (in fact regulations were changed the car was never homologated in GT) and its overall height of 40 inches (1.02 m, measured at the windscreen) as required by the rules. Large-capacity Ford V8 engines (4.7 L and 7 L) were used, compared with the Ferrari V12 which had 3.0 L or 4.0 L.
Early cars were simply named "Ford GT" the name GT40 was introduced with the production of the stock Mk. 1.

The contemporary Ford GT is a modern homage to the GT40"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

http://www.fordforums.com/archive/index.php/t-26379.html

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=comments_complete.php&carnum=1689

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/ford-gt-1004121.html

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
New Real Info About Name

Looking at the thread about why GT can't be on floor mats, I did some more trademark searches.

There are several interesting facts here. Like the GT-40 trademarks when they were first going to name the car that, Ford applied for trademarks on about everything you can think of.

The most interesting new "revelations" is that on 1-28-02, Ford not only applied for a trademark for Ford GT, it ALSO had applied for trademarks for Ford GT-44 and Ford GT Mark VI. Both the 44 and Mark VI marks are "dead" which means they did not finish the process on those. The Ford GT is "live".

So for legit names, Ford had looked at (at least) Ford GT, Ford GT-40, Ford GT-44, and Ford GT Mark VI.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hi... this is Bill Ford. I am visiting Jerry in Fresno and happened to read this string. I am ok with all of you calling this beautiful American Supercar a GT40. Thanks... Bill

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Awsum GT said:
Hi... this is Bill Ford. I am visiting Jerry in Fresno and happened to read this string. I am ok with all of you calling this beautiful American Supercar a GT40. Thanks... Bill

Thanks Bill.

I'll sleep better now :banana

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
well, I guess you never know who's gonna drop by! Don't be a stranger. :biggrin

Ron Earp

Jan 9, 2006
Raleigh NC
The Safir story is indeed interesting and told in many versions.

If you have a look at this thread on page two, Bob Wood from Safir explains the real deal from his side of things. Doesn't look like they wanted $40M, for sure, and would have been willing to deal for a lot of things had Ford wanted to enter into discussions.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18655&page=2

Have to scroll down a bit for Bob's post and it is in a thread that is somewhat not related to Safir/Ford.

Best,
Ron