Your Opinion - Is it a GT40?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Curious as to opinions on this one.

I know that the car is a "modern interpretation" of the GT40 according to Ford. I also know that their early information called it a GT40 and I think they were going to name it that until the problems with the name rights arose.

My question is this. I recently received my personalized plate with reference to the GT40. Am I accurate, or am I a wanna be? I see that when Ford called the latest Thunderbird a Thunderbird, it was. They are calling the new Shelby a Shelby, therefore it is. But they called the new GT40 a GT, so is it a GT40 or not? I know there are some opinions involved here (which I would like to hear), but are there any facts? Does Ford still refer to it as a GT40 anywhere, or just a GT (wow - "just a GT" - strange statement).

Hey Bill Ford, if you are out there, what is it?

What do you all think? Please put my mind at ease or tell me if I need to admit I'm a poseur.

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Seeing that the original version was 40 inches tall and hence the name gt 40 and this vehicle stand at 43 inches, the only logical conclusion is to refer to this modern renditions as the gt 43. I think "modern rendtions of the gt 40" may be another model name for this FORD :rofl :ack . :lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The new car is a tad over 44 inches tall, so perhaps GT44 would be more accurate. The original was about 40.5 inches tall. The Mark IV was 38.5 inches tall. I call the new car a GT40 cause if I don't people think I'm talking about the Mustang. Ford did not call the car a GT40 when it was developed, they called it the Ford GT. The GT40 name started out as slang and it stuck. Ford did start using the name GT40 on the original car but they never used it on the Mark II or Mark IV. A new Mustang is still a Mustang, and a new GT40 is still a GT40.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The problem I have with "Ford GT" is everyone says "oh, a Mustang GT?"
"No, a GT GT."
"It's not a Mustang?"

:willy

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
SuperB said:
"No, a GT GT."
"It's not a Mustang?"

Particularly any Ford dealer parts department you visit! :eek

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
SuperB said:
"No, a GT GT."
"It's not a Mustang?"

I have had that conversation - the GT GT one.

I wish they would have called it the GT40 (naturally), GT44, the GT50, or something else (GT100 since is was the anniversary model?). Saying Ford GT is like saying Chevy Tahoe. No one does the full thing - it is a Yukon, Tahoe, Corvette, ....... GT? You can't just say "GT". There are too many things in the world that use that.

Afterthought - I like the GT100 idea. Makes sense. Naturally the GT44 would have been logical, and the GT50 as an "update" would have been good too. Even GT40-100. Let's see. Maybe GT404450100. Wow - I'm in a loop.

:willy :willy :willy

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
identity crisis, anyone ?

I also got a personalized license plate with GT40 'XX' , but have also a bit second thoughts about that choice by now. But to avoid having to explain what GT (i-e Mustang), it always works best to say GT 40, 2005/6.. Oh that one ! is the answer.

Hence as the celebration and heritage permits it, we are looking at the legitimate heir of the legendary GT40..we could come to GT40 jr. Right, Mr Bill Ford? :lol

Or just stay with Ford GT 05. But something needs to be added after GT, or we are put automatically into the stangs. But then, so what.. Ignore Ignorance, I always say.. :wink

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
I think SLF360 nailed it...2005 or 2006 GT40. That's how I will refer to mine from this point forward.

Pipelion

AZGT,

Remember the Ford prototype cars all had GT40 on the plates etc.

It's better than the GT40, as Albofaz said.

You guys might want to carry a small photo in your wallet to show the parts dept. and people. Here's my kids, my wife, and I drive a "this"(show photo). :biggrin

Allan

Last edited:

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
As stated Ford originally planned to call the car a GT-40..
Most everyone that sees my car say look a GT-40 so to eliminate the whole
no not a mustang hassle I myself have slowly started calling it a 40.

your not posing.. YOUR REPRESENTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Pipelion said:
AZGT,

Remember the prototype cars all had GT40 on the plates etc.

True. And looking at the Ford website they say (May 03)

"The new GT40 concept was created to celebrate a great era in Ford's history. Essential elements of the original - including the stunning low profile and mid-mounted American V-8 - continue in this latest interpretation of the classic."

So, they were still calling it the GT40. Still would be nice if Ford would put the official blessing on it.

Does anyone know if the was an "official" memo changing the concept name from GT40 to GT?

Maybe SLF360 is right - just call it an 05 or 06 GT40 just to keep it seperate enough from the 60's versions. That could take away some of my confusion since I don't want to indicate I have an original GT40 or a kit copy.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The copyright for "GT 40" is owned by the outfit in Ohio who bought the rights and own some of the prototypes. that's why Ford can't use the term. Look at some of the old threads concerning these issues (check archives).

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Since I brought up the question, it has also made me look for some of my own answers.

This one (with stuff we all know) from Yahoo.UK says "In case you were wondering why its a Ford GT and not a GT40, the answer is simple. Rather like the Queen selling off the Crown Jewels because she wasn't wearing them anymore, Ford sold the rights to the GT40 name to Safir Engineering, a British company that produced beautifully finished mega-money replicas of the GT40. When Safir ran into financial problems in 1999, the name was transferred to their US-based parts operation and Ford managed to negotiate a one-off deal to use the name on their 2002 Detroit Show car.

This received such a reception that Ford decided they had to buy the name back from Safir GT40 Spares but the asking price of $40 million was deemed excessive. So the GT it is. Ford know that most are still going to refer to the car as the GT40 despite it measuring 43 inches high and not the originals 40 inch height (hence the name)."

Another article talks about the same stuff

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=26379

Other reading I have just completed indicates the the GT40 was originally the Ford GT, but the GT40 became the "popular" name (sorry all of you that know this - I am still learning). So in that sense, GT is correct and says it is the same (updated) car.

This one has interesting tidbits

http://www.answers.com/topic/ford-gt40

All of this tells me Ford was calling it the GT40, and ended up calling it the GT which is what the GT40 really was.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Trade mark info

OK. Even more research.

Ford applied for the GT40 trademark November 6, 2001 for a number of areas. Some were abandoned during the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006. Some are still active. They were to cover

SUNGLASSES, TIRE PRESSURE GAUGES, MAGNETS, TAPE MEASURES, CALCULATORS, BINOCULARS, THERMOMETERS NOT FOR MEDICAL USE, TELEPHONES, RADIOS, COMPUTER POINTING DEVICES, MAGNIFYING GLASSES, DIRECTIONAL COMPASSES, RADAR DETECTORS, DIGITAL, 35MM, AND DISPOSABLE CAMERAS, ELECTRIC SIGNS, CASSETTE CASES, SAFETY BEACON LIGHTS, ANTENNAS, GRADUATED RULES AND YARDSTICKS, PRE-RECORDED VIDEOS, NAMELY, OF AUTOMOBILES, INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA COMPUTER GAME PROGRAMS IN THE FIELD OF AUTOMOTIVE RACING, VIDEO TAPE RE-WINDER, PENS, PENCILS, PEN AND PENCIL HOLDERS, MARKERS, PLAYING CARDS, TRADING AND COLLECTOR CARDS, STATIONERY FOLDERS, DESK TOP HOLDERS, TELEPHONE INDICES, CALENDARS, POCKET PEN SHIELDS, PAPERWEIGHTS, PAPER CUTTERS, LETTER OPENERS, POSTERS, NOTE PADS, SELF-ADHERING NOTE PAPER PADS, NOTE PAD HOLDERS, POCKET SECRETARIES, BUSINESS CARD HOLDERS, PAPER LUGGAGE IDENTIFICATION TAGS, LAMINATED PAPER TAGS, DECALS, REPRODUCTION LITHOGRAPHIC PRINTS, BANK CHECKS, CHECKBOOK COVERS, AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY BOOKS, CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY BOOKS, COOKBOOKS, ALMANACS, GIFT WRAPPING PAPER, PAPER NAPKINS, PAPER BANNERS, PAPER FLAGS, POSTCARDS, BUMPER STICKERS, PAPER COASTERS, PLASTIC BAGS FOR MERCHANDISE PACKING

and a whole s*itload of other stuff including Christmas tree ornaments

These are the registration (trademark) numbers (go to www.uspto.gov and search for GT40).

Serial Number Reg. Number Word Mark Check Status Live/Dead
1 78091964 GT40 TARR DEAD
2 78091971 GT40 TARR DEAD
3 78091990 GT40 TARR LIVE
4 78091988 GT40 TARR LIVE
5 78091986 GT40 TARR DEAD
6 78091982 GT40 TARR LIVE
7 78091978 GT40 TARR DEAD
8 78091976 GT40 TARR LIVE
9 78091975 GT40 TARR LIVE
10 78091968 GT40 TARR DEAD
11 78091959 2870396 GT40 TARR LIVE
12 78091952 GT40 TARR LIVE
13 73531071 1363264 GT 40 TARR LIVE

Number 13 is the one for the car "AUTOMOBILES AND STRUCTURAL PARTS THEREFOR". It is owned by Safir.

Those all go to say that Ford was planning on heavy GT40 use.

I guess I am going to look at it as either a "new GT40" or an "05 GT40" like already discussed as well as a "GT". Anology would be the "new" Thunderbird - everyone knows what that refers to that knows about Thunderbirds. "New GT40" would be the same. :banana

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Can we say GT Fourty?
Or will the internet police come get us?
:rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
More like the patent police. They are good friends with the software police.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I think gt 100 is good.
So, just for fun I registered fordgt100.com and set it up to point to this forum. Should start working tomorrow. :biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
SuperB said:
I think gt 100 is good.
So, just for fun I registered fordgt100.com and set it up to point to this forum. Should start working tomorrow. :biggrin

That also works for me - I would probably would have voted for that one since it is the centennial trophy car - "The pace car for an entire company".

Since the GT40 was a popular name, here we go. We can talk about not getting Gurneyed in a GT100.

:biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I looked at the pictures of the GT40 concept cars, and aside from the license plate that said GT40, so did the side stripe.

Just for fun, GT100 is not trademarked. :eek

Hello, Ford................ :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
fordgt100.com is pointing to this forum now, but due to the way the DNS works it's not doing what it's supposed to.

I'm going to change it to point the the Registy, which has a link to here.