Why will Ford stop making the NGT?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Wondering why Ford would stop making NGTs now. I know 2022 is announced as the end, but ... only 500 NGTs were originally announced, then 750, then 1,000, then 1,350, so if that can be increased, why not push back the 2022 deadline and make more? They can apparently sell every single one, and it seems likely (to me who knows nothing) that additional quantities would be more profitable, now that production is surely more streamlined, and with resale $ figures currently about double the original price, seems Ford's price for NGT numbers 1,351 - 1,500 could be increased even more ... ?

Is it because 2022 is a firm deadline for some specific reason(s)? Oh, maybe labor agreements? Building lease(s)? Parts suppliers?

Just curious ... Thanks.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The plan was always to make ~1300 units dating back to 2013, and all program planning was made based on a total in that neighborhood.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
The plan was always to make ~1300 units dating back to 2013, and all program planning was made based on a total in that neighborhood.

What was behind announcing the 500, 750 and 1,000? Contingency, if things didn't go well?

Oh, and where did the ~1,300 figure come from? Again, just curious.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
All I need is for Ford to make one extra for me! Still bummed over being passed over.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What was behind announcing the 500, 750 and 1,000? Contingency, if things didn't go well?

Oh, and where did the ~1,300 figure come from? Again, just curious.

Because originally they didn't want to pre-empt the public commitment of the full 4-year race program with 4 years of road cars. I've written the summary of the timeline before but can't find it. It wasn't actually any change in the plan other than telling the public, which drove me crazy because the waitlist verbiage for cars 501-750 was extremely confusing to the people who received that communication. I guess you could say the plug could have been pulled at ~1,000 due to the environment inside FMC at the time but I always considered it unlikely.

Volume totals are driven by a large number of factors. The usage of the types of tooling on this program will always cause annual volume limitations that impact the business case, and how long do you want to build a car that exists to race that you stopped racing 3 years ago?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Appreciate the insight, Dave 🍻

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A factor for production capacity, Multimatic only has the autoclave capacity to product 250 CF tubs in a year.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
And those lucky enough to have one of these prized autos, don't want to see the herd diluted with more vehicles. Sorry.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Great info. Thanks Dave.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Perfect production has always been told to me that 1 produced each day, with 20 working days per month for 12 months! That’s with no parts shortages, no pandemics, and every thing working perfectly! Remember 1st year of production was only 138 units!

Reactions: extrap

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
All I need is for Ford to make one extra for me! Still bummed over being passed over.

There is the secondary market thank goodness. Your car is out there!

Ed