Whoa Nelly, Didn't See This One Coming...

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Carrera GT.jpg

So I was minding my own business in GT Mecca (Jonesboro) looking at buying that lovely blue GT that Shelby had for sale. My innocent intent was to add another GT to the stable, for as we all know, one is simply not enough.

I was then, quite literally, assaulted by a carbon fiber harlot masquerading as a "sports car". Perhaps I was seduced by the atmosphere of Shelby's immaculate toy store. Perhaps I am completely daft; all I can say is that this wailing german banshee has been haunting me since I first clapped eyes on it. Hasta la vista, Ferrari.

I spent last night clay barring and waxing it, and almost feel like I need to go to a confessional now that I'm done. The contours, men, the contours!

The photo above is just after we completed a three day/3000 mile round trip from Utah to Shelby's place and back again. We were unloading the car at a truck stop near Park City. The CGT looks tiny in comparison to my big bad dually.

Guys, this car is a game changer. Full review to follow...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great car, good owner lineage, nice score!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Looking forward to reading your always excellent reviews. I was lucky enough to drive a friend's CGT and I loved the car.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Letting out the clutch in that car, is unlike any other car you'll ever drive :)
Gorgeous car, enjoy it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
That is the car that I would like to add! Congrats!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Things happen for a reason I always say. The Blue GT you were going to buy, I ended up keeping for my personal car. We are knee deep as we speak modifying it to being with me to Rally 8. You made a great choice. The Carrera GT is in a class all its own, and the one you just got from me is one of the nicest examples you could find anywhere...
Thanks again for your business. Was a pleasure dealing with you!

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, what a cool story. I can't wait to hear your reviews on this car. Always intrigued me and the few I have seen in person have been awe inspiring.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome. I so look forward to the write up!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Reviews are epic

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking forward to your review, with the caveat that I don't want your review to raise the price and value of the CGT to where I can only dream of someday owning one. I need that dream to be a reality!! ;-)

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Great car, phantastic sounding V10 engine. Enjoy it :)

mal

Heritage GT Owner
Nov 23, 2012
London/Kent, UK
Cool car - this was my view of one on sunday

DSC07832 (Medium).JPG

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
nice acquisition!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
One of the best non-Ford-GT exotics ever made. Drove one briefly with Hurley Haywood at my side around the California Speedway back when the car was new. The design and technology are tremendously advanced. Don't forget, this was supposed to be Porsche's next full race car in the early 2000s before they decided to spend that budget on developing the Cayanne. This resulted in two things: Porsche actually remaining solvent as an independent brand, and a race car being SLIGHTLY de-fanged into a street car we can buy. Great corporate direction change if you ask me (though nobody thought so at the time).

If I could add two cars to my collection (without going bankrupt, which I can't at present) it would be a CGT and a McLaren F1...and by compariosn the Carrera is still (relatively) cheap. Great catch!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"...assaulted by a carbon fiber harlot ..."
Mitty, you always make me laugh in your otherwise serious and thoughtful reviews. That one is a gem.
The CGT is similar to the FGT in my opinion in that it was available for a very short time and then gone. Great car, great sound, although somewhat goofy look to it compared to its contemporaries. Enjoy.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice! of of my non-ford favs!

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Can't read to read the 5,000 word review. I always enjoy hearing your take on all the automotive greats.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Hope you don't mind me living vicariously through your purchase. Congrats.

Vince H

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Ah yes, Rays old car. That is the best sounding car to date that I have had the pleasure of hearing. It does attract unwanted attention though :)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Love the Mitty reviews! He should be writting for a car magazine!