wheel bearing problem

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Has anyone else had a rear bearing problem?

Aug 25, 2006
What set the stages for this service

Shadowman

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
noise in the rear of car sounded like rotating noise. The bearing was replaced and now being road tested by the tech. The Tech has also indicated the sway bar bushings are worn out and will be replaced. This is being done under warranty

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
noise in the rear of car sounded like rotating noise. The bearing was replaced and now being road tested by the tech. The Tech has also indicated the sway bar bushings are worn out and will be replaced. This is being done under warranty

Am I the only one who cringed when I read "now being road tested by the tech"?

I am glad for you MTDGT that this work is being done under warranty, however I find it highly unusual. The only post I remember reading of an owner having to replace wheel bearings the car had 40,000 miles if I remember correctly. How many miles are on the car? Wonder if there was previous crash damage?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Believe we have a couple owners (at least one I know of) with over 50K miles on their car.
I certainly would not think bearings would be a problem early on without "other" type of damage.
Sounds suspicious....

And I too cringed when hearing the tech was out road testing the car. We have heard reports back (not favorable) from these type of "checkouts".

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
And I too cringed when hearing the tech was out road testing the car. We have heard reports back (not favorable) from these type of "checkouts".

Yup, like going in for an oil change and then finding out that your car is going to never be the same! :ack

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Exactly what I was thinking about, Ice!

And I believe there was another tale of an electrical fix (alternator possibly) which had to have a tech check ride as well....

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for sharing the noise.

I agree with all that a bad bearing is certainly possible and yet unusual.

All the best

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
the sway bar bushings are worn out and will be replaced

Wow. Unusual to say the least.

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
I have owned the car from new 9500 miles The only dealer that would touch the car is 3 hours away unfortunately I can't be there. The original reason the car was in was due to a main seal leak. Everything including the steering wheel GT ID replacement and the fuel guage sensor all happened at once.