whats really under the belly pans of a new GT?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
just like when I was a kid I couldn't wait to take my toy apart to see what makes it tick.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for sharing. Really cool to see all that machinery.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That's the best video you ever made.

Reactions: FerrariSlayer

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Really nice video.. Could those extra mounts on the bottom of the tranny be for the race car that has an extended floor tray/diffuser? Just a thought without really being up under there.
Thanks for sharing.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
just like when I was a kid I couldn't wait to take my toy apart to see what makes it tick.

You too? Yeah, I started pulling my toys apart when I was about 4 years old to see what made them tick. It's been a life-long sickness.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You also pointed out the geometry of the front lower A-arms. Those look very much like geometry of the lower A-arms on my 1952 Hudson Hornet, and the 1952-60's Studebakers used the same setup. The upper A-arms on those early cars were shorter and angled to cause understeer, unlike the GT. Depending on the rest of the geometry (especially the upper A-arms) that arrangement provides anti-dive under braking, neutral bump steer, and keep the Ackerman angles right.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
You too? Yeah, I started pulling my toys apart when I was about 4 years old to see what made them tick. It's been a life-long sickness.
life long sickness is exactly right, when I was 5 I even took our tube tv completely apart and couldn't put it back together , you should have seen the look on my dads face when he walked in after work, it was priceless, my punishment not so much.

Reactions: steved57

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Soroush! Now Frank & I won't have to take ours apart to see what's in there!

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
EXCELLENT!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
A-MAZ-ZING! Thanks for posting that!

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
life long sickness is exactly right, when I was 5 I even took our tube tv completely apart and couldn't put it back together , you should have seen the look on my dads face when he walked in after work, it was priceless, my punishment not so much.

Hahaha

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Been there DONE THAT too..... Heck yeah, but you were extra brave taking big middle sheet off. It was strongly recommended I not take that off.... Just too flimsy / fragile. Was told at factory they have a team of something like 5 to put that on, being super careful.

The "funny little mounts", Stormcat posted about these a while ago, they are for forward crash, to help keep the engine trans from going through your back, in the case of an "incident"

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
thank you!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Been there DONE THAT too..... Heck yeah, but you were extra brave taking big middle sheet off. It was strongly recommended I not take that off.... Just too flimsy / fragile. Was told at factory they have a team of something like 5 to put that on, being super careful.

The "funny little mounts", Stormcat posted about these a while ago, they are for forward crash, to help keep the engine trans from going through your back, in the case of an "incident"
the middle piece is not as flimsy as they would make it out to be at all, it is light and it does flex a bit but not fragile by any means.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Good to know! Ill have to for sure take it off then. We sadly have long winters where things like this are fun.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Nice video - thanks for posting it up

Reactions: soroush

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017