What is typical price for clutch replacement, parts and labor?

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
I thought this was an easy question. I have 3 prices that are 100% apart on the high and low. Rather slim pickings to get the job done in phx. I'm told that the flywheel should be replaced as a matter of practice, whether its needed or not. Same for slave cylinder. Seems to be overkill. I am not aware that i have a problem with either.

What are you seeing out there to do a stock clutch replacement? Will it vary much if i choose the spec ss trim aftermarket clutch. (it comes w clutch and flywheel for 2600$)

Thx, Tom.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
If you have ever exploded a flywheel you might think differently. Cars with this much punch can do this. I have. Broke the bellhousing bolt mounts off the block and made engine into a paper weight.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Stock clutch, flywheel, & flywheel bolts will cost you around $2,300 plus shipping. I'd get the aftermarket.

Labor - ? It is not a difficult job.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Spec is a good choice. Even if you go with another clutch, replace the flywheel. Replace the slave cylinder too regardless of what it looks like. That way you have a new surface for your new diaphragm fingers.

I read in a history book once about this certain way of doing things. It was really popular way back in the day but has fallen out of favor and is rarely practiced today.

It's called doing it right the first time.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I would replace all and be very careful who you let do the job.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It is an easy question. Phone or email the GT Guys. Whether or not they do the work, they will give you the straight poop.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you have ever exploded a flywheel you might think differently. Cars with this much punch can do this. I have. Broke the bellhousing bolt mounts off the block and made engine into a paper weight.

Don Garlits (among others) would agree with you 100%.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've done more than a dozen clutches. Like everything else, you get better/more efficient with practice. If it's practical for you I would recommend that you take the car to someone who has at least done a couple. (We've made our own alignment dowels and we went through a couple of alignment tools before finding a high-quality one that works well.)

I think I've had the opportunity to drive GT's with almost every clutch available. Unless you have or are planning on crazy RWHP (>850) I'd recommend the Spec SS-trim at $2995. It ships complete with a new aluminum flywheel. Also, I would recommend replacing the throw-out bearing assembly (what others are calling the slave cylinder). At retail, it is $275. I haven't had a bad one but I have seen a few with melted/displaced protective boots. Finally, make sure that you grease the pilot bearing and then I'd also go ahead and flush and replace the clutch fluid with a high quality Dot 4 since you need to bleed it anyway.

Regarding estimates for labor, I think anything South of $1500 is reasonable.

Xcentric - believe it or not there are quite a few people out there familiar with and competent to deal with the GT..... and some of them spend a whole heck of a lot more time here on the Forum helping.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I gave you props in one thread without mentioning the GT Guys, so now we're back to even. :)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I read in a history book once about this certain way of doing things. It was really popular way back in the day but has fallen out of favor and is rarely practiced today.

It's called doing it right the first time.

Love it. Thanks

Alternative might read ' Spend the right amount of money with the right people doing the work'

and we all know who to call in our GT world.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Sometimes saying nothing speaks louder.......

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
How many miles does the existing clutch assy have?

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
How many miles does the existing clutch assy have?

7500, second owner, i've done no burnouts ot agressive shifts.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Many 3rd gear starts I presume if on the original tires.

I would replace all and be very careful who you let do the job.

i would agree with our GT Forum member "jaxgt". On my car it was done in U.K. by Roush U.K.
Dave Jones, which was the boss there at that time has left Roush u.k. and has now his own company and is here as well with his nickname GT101.

IF i would have to replace one more time i would only go there and would as well replace all.

About prices i can not tell its to long ago, but it was not cheap, somewhere around with work, parts US-dollars 7k !!

FelixIbizaSwitzerland

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
my car had 50K+ miles on it before the throw out bearing went bad in it, and I had to do the reverse in a manner of speaking, I had replace the throw out bearing but with so many miles on the car I ended up replacing the stock clutch with another stock unit anyway since the tranny had to come out. I don't know of many throw out bearings going bad but with relative low cost of the part it is probably a better idea to replace it, the fly wheel with so few miles should be ok but once everything is out it should be easy to inspect and make that decision

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Changed all that crap on my car when it hit 37,000 miles and The clutch wasn't engaging til the final inch of travel. When Rich took it apart, the clutch still looked pretty good but the flywheel was f**ked ( I guess winning two burnout prizes had a negative impact). Changed throwout bearing and pilot bushing at the same time.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
What was the cost of the last group of clutches (Stillen group buy)?