Unique Lift Set-up

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I know there have been many threads about lifts but I haven’t seen anything regarding this lift system in particular.
I have a few 4 post lifts at my shop and I’m not too thrilled with the access. I’m planning on a new shop for my home and want to get it right. This 2 post system offers conventional 2 post connection points along with wheel adapters.....the best of both styles of lifting. I don’t need a lift for storage purposes, just maintenance and restoration. This looks like it offers unparalleled access….and from what I can see are built to last.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consumer/browse-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/

tea_d.jpg
systemi_homeshop5_0.jpg
systemi_homeshop6.jpg
systemi_homeshop1_0.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Can't put my finger on it, Chris, but for some reason that thing just plain makes me nervous.

'Great access like you said, but...................

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Chris,

Several years ago I too was running through all of the lift alternatives as I did not want to make a mistake. Ultimately I decided upon a 4-post lift and ordered it in conjunction with a rolling jack bridge. Having lived with this set-up for the past years and having done all kinds of work on GT's and a variety of other cars, I can tell you that I have absolutely no regrets and would HIGHLY recommend this set-up to anyone. Why?

First point that I would say is ingress/egress. It is just too easy to drive a car up onto the 4-post and off again. This is in contrast to a two post lift where there is a lot of hands and knees "work" to correctly position the arms to get them to the right lifting points and to hope that you got it right so that when you are finally up in the air, you can remove belly pans, etc. In terms of access, the Bend Pak 4-post lets you slide the adustable rail to anywhere you'd like. In other words, you can set it such that the inside edge of your tires are aligned with the inside edge of the rails thereby providing unlimited access to the underside of the car.

With a 4-post, they are equally suited for working on the car or storing the car in the up position. I would not advocate storing a car on the 2-post, first because of the stress on the suspension bushings at full droop, but also because of the stability.

4-post lifts are sometimes criticized for the inability to do wheel/suspension work. This is why you order it with the Jack Bridge. The jack bridges are rated at 6-7,000 lbs and they can effortlessly lift one end of the car or the other. They are air over hydraulic, so lifting is literally the push of a button. So, unlike a two post lift where you are on your hands and knees to position the arms correctly, for the GT's we drive them up on the 4-post and then raise the lift up 6'. Then we position the jack bridge effortlessly exactly where we want it, and press the button to lift whichever end of the car you want. Once lifted, we then lower the 4-post back down to the desired height. For wheel/suspension work, this would be approx. 3' off the ground. Simple, effortless, precise. The 2-post, wheel lifting solution you referenced is nice, as it simplifies the time to get on/off the lift (minimizing the hands and knees work) - but wheel/suspension work would require that you revery back to the conventional arm adapters.

Here's my recommended solution:

http://www.gesusa.com/BendPak-HD-14-Four-Post-Lift-p/119853.htm
http://www.gesusa.com/BendPak-RJ7-Sliding-Bridge-Jack-p/119435.htm

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
wow, seems like they are super high quality! but perhaps a little over kill for home use!

I like four posts as well, but only because I use them not only to work , but also store cars, plus they are mobile, you cant say that for a two post!

however two post lifs are easier to work on than four post!

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
For extended storage those wheel lifts would have to be hard on your tires?

As others have said two post lifts offer the most access to the underside for work but will require a perfect park job and the correct lift arms to fit the GT.

The drive on 4 post with a rolling bridge jack or two is the best setup IMO for work and storage.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I agree with Kendall!

I have a 4 post Bendpak with 2 bridge jacks. If the ramps get in the way I can easily lift the entire car off of the ramps with a push of a button. The times that a 2 post would be better is offset by the other 95% of the time when it is a PITA to get on your knees to positions the arms.

If you have the space and cost isn't a problem I would 1st get a 4 post and my 2nd lift would be like the 2 arm one you shown here. But if there can be only one, then a 4 post.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Thanks for the comments Gents...and the recommendation Kendall.
Storing cars wont be an issue since I have the room on the ground……but the comments about aligning the mounting points sounds like trouble. And the fact this set-up is over $9,000.00 is a lot more than other options.

Kendall/Clinton, I imagine 2 rolling jacks take up a lot of room..is your lift extra long so they don’t interfere with the limited working space? Meaning you slide them all the way up front while not in use?

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I my case the 2 jacks don't get in the way since I can roll one or both to either end of the lift. There are 3 different versions of "rolling" jacks that were sold. The good ones with ball bearing rollers, I think Kendall and Shadowman got the last of those. I got jacks with rollers without bearings. The ones they sell now are SLIDING jacks from China and don't have any rollers. Buyer BEWARE.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I guess you gotta ask yourself why/when you need 2 jack bridges? I have only one as I will typically only be working on one end of the car or the other. I must admit, that I did think about two bridges and weighed the potential usage versus the "get in the way" factor. What I settled on is one of the air over hydraulic jack bridges and an additional steel bridge. The simple steel bridge, although heavy, can be lifted up and off of the rails if desired. But at only about 12" wide, I leave it on and at the front of the lift. To complement the steel bridge, I bought a 20 Ton air/hydraulic bottle jack (<$100) from Harbor Freight. There has been a couple of occasions when I have used both bridges at the same time - but only a couple in the previous 3 years.

Another "trick" I used - and shared with another shop owner, is to purchase an inexpensive, 5-gallon portable compressed air tank. Mount it on the wall and put a compressed air line to it via a 1-way valve. Then, from this tank, run a coiled line to your 4-post lift. The 4-post BendPak uses compressed air to lift up the safety pawls to allow the lift to lower. With this small tank and hooking it up the way that I have described, you will always have an air reserve to the lift allowing you to lower it - even when you may not have your compressor on.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I have used both jacks to bleed the brakes, take off the wheels for cleaning or new tires, or for clearance issues where the ramps may interfere. I am too lazy to deal with another jack on a steel bridge. The bridge takes up as much room as a jack and I would never want to take it off and put it back on. So I decided to spend the extra money, it is worth the convenience. I just smile every time I just press a button and all four wheels come off the ramps without me lifting more than a finger. They have never gotten in the way. I do have the smallest size rolling jacks though and I believe Kendall's are larger. I didn't see the need for the bigger version since the lifting capacity of the smaller ones are 4500 lbs each.

Now, if you get sliding jacks it may be a different story since they may be harder to re-position on the lift. I would modify them, adding ball bearing rollers.

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I'm with empty pockets on this - as an engineer, I know that all things are possible, but there are so many weird load paths in that thing that I can't help but question the longevity/reliability of it.
I have a four post lift (bought second-hand thanks to Soroush) and after several oil changes and a pulley install I have had no issues at all with accessiblity. The only thing to be careful of is getting the car onto the lift without graunching the belly pan - I fixed this by adding an extra approach ramp to lessen tHe angle of the factory ramp.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
what happens if your tire goes flat while up on the lift?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have a 4 post Rotary bolted into the floor. I like the versatility of the 2 post but for the reasons discussed here and after hearing my installer tell me horror stories about part of his job being going to dealerships and rescuing "leaners" "hangers " I went 4 post.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks interesting although I would be concerned with the ability to lift wide tires.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have a 4 post Rotory and it works great. Added a couple of bottle jacks and I am all set

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
what happens if your tire goes flat while up on the lift?

That's one of the things that bugged me too. But, I 'figger' the rim couldn't fall thru even if the tire was totally missing - if that's what you're getting at. The 'chocks' don't appear to be far enough apart to allow that.

(Edit: That said, I'd wanna make darn sure the BARE wheel itself on whatever car I was working on didn't measure less in diameter than the gap between the chocks themselves [12", 13", 14" wheels, or whatever]!)

Last edited:

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have this particular lift. It is built in Amsterdam, NY and is without a doubt the heaviest 10,000 lb. 2 post lift made. The posts are built from 3/4" thick forklift masts and the bases are 3/4" thick and probably 50% larger then any other comparable lift (price also big). I bought the wheel adapters and modified the rear ones so that they would fit the GT's rear tires better. It allows unobstructed access to the bottom of the car and if you need to work on wheels or suspension the wheel adapters come off without too much trouble.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Neat!

Two questions for you dpdive:

Are the arms long enough to hit the GT mounting points when using it as a conventional 2 post lift? (without the adapters, I'm told most lifts are not)

What modifications were necessary for the rear wheel adapters?

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The ID of the adapters is small enough to keep the GT wheel from coming through even without a tire. When you take the adapters off it is a regular 2 post lift which can position to the standard lift points. We added 4" to the rear adapters (was a lot of fabricating).

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Thanks dpdive....

If you ever get a chance to post a pic of your set-up I'm sure we'd all love to see it.