Transaxle fluid question.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Mazola tends to wash off in the hot tub. I recommend Purple K's Penetrate 5-300 for maximum lubrication and protection for all moving parts.

Purple K it is. For what I don't know. Haven't quoted Daniel in a while. Every time I see our Moderator Emeritus pop up in a thread his absence stings as acutely today as it did two years ago. Damn.

Chip

H

HHGT

Purple K it is. For what I don't know. Haven't quoted Daniel in a while. Every time I see our Moderator Emeritus pop up in a thread his absence stings as acutely today as it did two years ago. Damn.

Chip

I remember when that post was made. May he RIP.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Chip

Same thoughts here Chip.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I miss him too. Painful, but I kinda like running across Bony's old posts... as I'm sure he's still hang'n around. Someone has to check up on Chip while DBK spends some time with his lovely daughter!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I miss him too.

Man I know we all do on so many levels.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Ditto....

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Man I know we all do on so many levels.

Same here...

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Agreed, chills just went through my body on the last couple of posts...

So where O where is the filler cap or dip stick for the transaxle? Is there one.......

I went through it as good as I though one could (so I think) and no dice.....

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
As I have been instructed by one of the great GT Guys, when using a transaxle cooler, the typical filler plug is not used. Instead, get some nice clear plastic hose, 1/2 inch, I cannot recall, a couple of feet long. Remove the speedometer sensor carefully, as not to damage the re-usable O-ring. Once the fluid has been drained and the screen cleaned out and the drain plugs snugged back up, follow the book as to the number of transaxle fluid quarts to put back in, PLUS ONE MORE. Most of the fluid from the transaxle cooler drains out during a normal change, and the filler plug above the drain plug will not allow for this required extra quart to be added. I know my tubing extends to the rear tire and that is the point where I allow gravity and a bit of squezzing to refill the transaxle.
Hope this helps.
Pete S.

Agreed, chills just went through my body on the last couple of posts...

So where O where is the filler cap or dip stick for the transaxle? Is there one.......

I went through it as good as I though one could (so I think) and no dice.....

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
As I have been instructed by one of the great GT Guys, when using a transaxle cooler, the typical filler plug is not used. Instead, get some nice clear plastic hose, 1/2 inch, I cannot recall, a couple of feet long. Remove the speedometer sensor carefully, as not to damage the re-usable O-ring. Once the fluid has been drained and the screen cleaned out and the drain plugs snugged back up, follow the book as to the number of transaxle fluid quarts to put back in, PLUS ONE MORE. Most of the fluid from the transaxle cooler drains out during a normal change, and the filler plug above the drain plug will not allow for this required extra quart to be added. I know my tubing extends to the rear tire and that is the point where I allow gravity and a bit of squezzing to refill the transaxle.
Hope this helps.
Pete S.

Thanks Pete, I do not have the transcooler and I'm a little ignorant on the where abouts of the filler plug?????? and when I remove this filler plug, when it overflows, my transaxle is full??

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
This link should show you a drain plug and above it the filler plug on mine: http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/trans001.htm
And of course, good luck. Once the fluid is at the level of the threads of the fill hole, you are set, or I suppose you can use the correct amount fed through the speedometer sensor area.
Pete S.

Last edited:

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
This link should show you a drain plug and above it the filler plug on mine: http://home.comcast.net/~skatesharpening/trans001.htm
And of course, good luck. Once the fluid is at the level of the threads of the fill hole, you are set, or I suppose you can use the correct amount fed through the speedometer sensor area.
Pete S.

Agreed, now if I can just find that picture on my car :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You should be able to pump *almost* 4 quarts in there before it strarts to run back out.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
So where do I order the part for the transaxle seal? Part #4......
Kendall, I assume you guys do this repair if I don't want to attempt it myself?
Kingman, did you do your own repair?

Thanks,
Tim