Trailer Tie Down System (Photos)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I have experimented with various methods for securing the GT in my enclosed trailer. Several weeks ago, I had a car delivered and I liked the tie-down system that the professional hauler used. I ordered a set for myself and I am very happy with the ease and security of the system. I can strap the car in in less than fifteen minutes, and I don't have to mess with going through the wheels.

While I am sure that many already know of this system, I thought it might be useful for future readers who are trying to figure out the best way to strap down the GT. So, I respectfully submit this thread as a resource that I wish I would have had the first time I hauled my GT.

DSC_0266_1_.jpg

The system includes a single tie down strap with three rubber blocks fastened to the strap, a ratcheting strap, and a tension pulley to guide the strap below the body on the way to the e-track tie down. You'll notice that each strap terminates with an etrack attachment. You will need four of these combinations, one at each corner of the car. While some may prefer a wheel net, I'm not crazy about the idea of the net making contact with the face of the wheel during the haul. According to the pros, the single strap system is plenty secure.

DSC_0263_1_.jpg

The system requires etrack to be installed at the same width as the track of the car. For the GT, I had the etrack installed at 64" on center.

DSC_0265_1_.jpg

I use a winch to pull the car in, since the doors cannot be opened once the car is in the trailer.

Once the car in lined up so that it is centered on the etrack, simply pull it straight in using the winch.

DSC_0273_1_.jpg

The straping system is very simple. The rubber blocks have teeth in them which go in between the tread blocks.

DSC_0280_1_.jpg

DSC_0279_1_.jpg

DSC_0281_1_.jpg

DSC_0295_1_.jpg

Once the car is strapped down, make sure you unhook the cable from the tow hook. Never, ever use the tow hook to pull the car against the straps. Doing so will damage the tow hook mounts and cause thousands of dollars of damage.

Hope this is of help for general reference:thumbsup

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks for the information.

What is the purpose of the rubber blocks?

Were all the strap pieces standard order for e-track?

Thanks!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
nice .where did you get the tie downs ?

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA

The track and tie downs are available through Summit Racing.

SUM-G7971 Tie Down
SUM-G7972 E-track

Great photo shoot of the trailer! I would get the strap hook points as close to the tire as possible though. And what's with the winch. Climbing in and out through the window is much easier inside the trailer as the trailer fender acts like a step-up.

Pete S.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... And what's with the winch. Climbing in and out through the window is much easier inside the trailer as the trailer fender acts like a step-up.

Pete S.

:eek :willy:willy:willy :lol :rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What is the purpose of the rubber blocks?

'Wondering the same thing.

My guess is they provide a bit of "non skid" surface against the tire tread for the straps.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I guess when the system got upgraded some older pictures were deleted because I was looking for the pics of mine in trailer from the towing thread about 2 years ago. I had mine made by S-Line in Dallas right after I got the car. The rubber pucks are basically to keep the strap in the center of the wheel and not let it slide off the tire...they work great..been using them since I got the car without problems.

they work really well on other vehincles too.

Matt

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Yes, the rubber blocks keep the straps in place on the tire. BTW, most trailer shops stock e track. The inner tracks in the photos are from the first installation when I bought the trailer, before I discovered the wheel strap system.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Trailer door width opening question!

For those who trailer their FGT in their own trailer, how wide does the trailer DOOR OPENING have to be to provide comfortable clearance for the rear fenders as well as the mirrors?
Same question for the trailer WHEEL-WELL BOXES. What is a comfortable distance from box to box so as not to scuff those shiny BBS wheels going in and out of the trailer?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What is the purpose of the E track on the sidewalls of the trailer??

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
For those who trailer their FGT in their own trailer, how wide does the trailer DOOR OPENING have to be to provide comfortable clearance for the rear fenders as well as the mirrors?
Same question for the trailer WHEEL-WELL BOXES. What is a comfortable distance from box to box so as not to scuff those shiny BBS wheels going in and out of the trailer?

I don't have the dimensions of my Hallmark, but it is the standard race trailer and there is about 5" of clearance on each side of the car between the wheel wells. I like to use the winch so that I can move slow and really line it up.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
What is the purpose of the E track on the sidewalls of the trailer??

It's so I can haul the GT on it's side and fit two of 'em in there at the same time:biggrin

Seriously, its so that you can strap objects like tool boxes to the walls of the trailer. I put mine in so that I could strap in racing karts by standing them on the tail. They work great for hauling anything with a vertical dimension, like furniture. I seldom use them, however.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
OK, I'll ask the dumb question here: If you use the winch to get her in, how do you get her out of the trailer ?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
OK, I'll ask the dumb question here: If you use the winch to get her in, how do you get her out of the trailer ?

Also, how do you find the space to install the straps on the wheels? It looks very tight in there.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA

Most have reverse.

MG 42

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2006
Also, how do you find the space to install the straps on the wheels? It looks very tight in there.

Yes, especially the front drivers side.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Most have reverse.

You'll need to 'splain that'n to me, Frank! :rofl :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yes, especially the front drivers side.

That's where having young KIDS comes in handy! :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I too presented the question of unloading a GT to an owner who tows frequently. His answer was that he could always create a slight front to rear rake of the trailer so that the GT would want to roll out or could be gently coaxed out onto the ramp - which was definitely inclined. All the while, using the winch to feed out the line.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I too presented the question of unloading a GT to an owner who tows frequently. His answer was that he could always create a slight front to rear rake of the trailer so that the GT would want to roll out or could be gently coaxed out onto the ramp - which was definitely inclined. All the while, using the winch to feed out the line.

Ya, I realize that! What was funny to me was the mental picture of just putting the winch in "reverse" and having the cable PUSH the car out! :rofl:rofl:rofl ('Guess I watched too darn many cartoons as a kid...)