Trailer Tie Down System (Photos)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I too presented the question of unloading a GT to an owner who tows frequently. His answer was that he could always create a slight front to rear rake of the trailer so that the GT would want to roll out or could be gently coaxed out onto the ramp - which was definitely inclined. All the while, using the winch to feed out the line.

You are correct. I put a six inch by six inch chunk of timber underneath the tongue jack and crank the trailer into a slight incline (while still attached to the the truck! If you try it without being attached, the tongue will go up into the air as the car goes down the ramp, please don't ask me how I know this!). I then reattach the winch cable to the tow hook, and let gravity pull against the winch as I reverse it. The trick is to keep enough momentum so as to avoid slack, and then a snap of the winch line. This would be bad for the health of the tow hook mount. Because the car is loaded and hauled in neutral and without the parking brake, there is no need to climb into the car, which would be very difficult.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Also, how do you find the space to install the straps on the wheels? It looks very tight in there.

The strap and blocks are very low profile, maybe a half inch in thickness at the most. It's quite easy to install the strap in the gap in the wheel well.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ahh found one fo the pictures

Rear_Tie_Down.jpg

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
the straps shown are actually for vertical e-track (where the slots run parallel to the track direction), and as you can see they take on a half twist when used with horizontal e-track. i'm sure this doesn't matter.

the straps (rather, the e-track fittings) available for horizontal e-track have half the load capacity of the vertical type -- 1000# per strap vs 2000#. so i'd say that extra capacity outweighs any possible issue with the half twist.

EDIT: i take back my lack of concern about vert vs. horiz fittings. with the half twist the fitting is loaded in the wrong direction.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
The strap and blocks are very low profile, maybe a half inch in thickness at the most. It's quite easy to install the strap in the gap in the wheel well.

i'm pretty sure that what BlackICE and MG 42 meant was, how do you physically get your body into a position such that you can install the strap.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
i'm pretty sure that what BlackICE and MG 42 meant was, how do you physically get your body into a position such that you can install the strap.

+1

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
For those who trailer their FGT in their own trailer, how wide does the trailer DOOR OPENING have to be to provide comfortable clearance for the rear fenders as well as the mirrors?
Same question for the trailer WHEEL-WELL BOXES. What is a comfortable distance from box to box so as not to scuff those shiny BBS wheels going in and out of the trailer?
Paul, I'll measure mine when I get back home and give you the clearances - I've been out of town the last 2 weeks.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
ITS NOT FREAKIN EASY...I wear sweat pants and just plan on getting dirty to get the clips and straps on.

I agree on the twists that its not the best solution but S-Line didn't have any other brackets to run the straps through..these have worked well and trust me we have used them alot for towing the GT and other cars with no issues.

Matt

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
i recently bought a set of horiz. fittings/straps from autohaulersupply.com. they are cheaper than the vertical straps.

as for getting past the car, i suggest a microfiber track suit and consider strapping the car as detailing it at the same time! :)

harryg30

Apr 30, 2008
Great pics! I am thinking of putting e-track in my 24' haulmark as well. what was used to attach the e-track to the floor? screwes? nuts/bolts?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Great pics! I am thinking of putting e-track in my 24' haulmark as well. what was used to attach the e-track to the floor? screwes? nuts/bolts?

Our trailer uses heavy duty self tapping screws that run through the deck into steel plates.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I saw this system in DBTGT's trailer and it looks like the only way to go.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Any updates in the last 4 1/2 years to tying down a Ford GT in an enclosed trailer?

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
See my previous post of my Traiex trailer with Mac versatrac installed and custom made Mac wheel nets used to tie down the wheels. Used this setup to transport my GT to Rally VII and back from my house in Texas. No problems what so ever.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?25728-New-Trailex-Trailer/page2

Any updates in the last 4 1/2 years to tying down a Ford GT in an enclosed trailer?