Tire possibilities

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Stillen has been working on developing a new “R” spec DOT approved tire that would be made exactly to the Ford GT size specifications. It will be designed to fit the factory 6 spoke or the BBS wheels. The tire that we are looking at is a Dunlop tire used on the New Zealand Targa road rally. It is a fantastic tire that works well in both wet and dry weather. When we were developing our car for the rally in 2006 we tried to get a set made specifically for us but were unable to do so. After a year of discussions we have convinced Dunlop that there is a huge interest in performance tires for the GT. It would take a large commitment on Stillen’s part so we want to gauge interest before signing off on production. Stillen would need to buy enough tires for 500 cars at a time.

Again, this is a DOT approved, all weather, R spec. tire that Steve had been using for the 5 years prior to 2006 in the New Zealand Targa rally. As many of you remember the rally is torture on tires and the cars have to go through very hot/dry temperatures as well as freezing cold monsoon rain weather. In Steve’s words “This is the best street tire I have ever driven on. The grip and performance of this tire is absolutely amazing. They work surprisingly well in the rain and are phenomenal on the street.”

We dont know what cost will be yet. We have asked Dunlop for a preliminary price for now just so we know a ballpark range. I am waiting on a reply from them right now.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
I'm in for a set.........

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Here is a link to the Dunlop website that offers a brief description of the tire.

http://www.dunlop.co.nz/tyres_motorsport.aspx?cat=3

We are looking at the D01J & D98.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Interested. What are we talking about speed rating wise, and how much difference between what you're looking at and say the Hoosiers? Factory width?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
I'm definitely interested, and if they can make available an option for white lettering, I'm all over it!:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm interested in 19" and 20" to replace my PS2's

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Kyle
Is this the DUNLOP 03G or are you looking at the older style DZ02G
If 03G we will be wanting at least 3 sets for this seasons NZ endurance series.
I agree totaly with Steve on the quality of the dunlop as we have been racing on them for 6 years and have found them far superior to all other DOT tyres inc toyo,pirelli,hoosier on both targa and 6hr endurance racing.
To give you an Idea pirelli and goodyear are 2-3 seconds a lap slower than dunlops and thats just with fronts only and pirelli rears
:cheers
Neil
NZ05GT

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
In for a set of stock sizes...

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Interested. What are we talking about speed rating wise, and how much difference between what you're looking at and say the Hoosiers? Factory width?

They will be factory height and width. They will be 315/40R19 in the rear and 235/45R18 in the front.

I'm pretty sure that the Hoosiers are not DOT approved. Also I've talked with some people that said the Hoosiers have a tendency to get greasy after a few heat cycles. Part of the challenge of the New Zealand Targa rally is that you are only allowed to use 6 tires on the entire rally including the 4 that you start with. So these tires need to perform for 6 days of abuse and they go through multiple heat cycles in that time.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Would these tires be similar to Toyo RA1s or Nitto NT-01s?

Im trying out the Hoosiers right now but would be interested in a middle ground between the hoosiers and the goodyears.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Interested.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am interested in several sets of the stock sizes.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Hoosiers are DOT rated but not FIA DOT approved so we cant run them in the targa unless Mike gives steve a special dispensation.:thumbsdow
Neil

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I would be in for at least two sets of the stock size. Allan

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Interested as well.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think alot of us are interested in two sets, just to have extras. What's the shelf life on a tire? Mine are about cooked at 11k, but I'd like an extra set of rims to have some track wheels.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Price is relative. I would be in for a set or two if the price is reasonable.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Definitely interested but I would honestly need more info before committing to buy..... price, white letter availability, tread pattern, speed rating (need to be 200 plus) and price.

It'll be nice to have another option.

AZTungsten

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 2, 2007
So. Arizona
I'd be interested in 2 sets also.

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
I'm very interested. How would these very from the stock goodyears or alternatively from PS2s?