THREE DAYS AT COTA

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Just got back from the MVP session at COTA, which I thought was Mark’s best yet. I’m still digesting a lot of stuff but here’s my initial takeaway:
  1. The car ran flawlessly. I calculated that the weekend totaled-out at about 300 miles on track, all in track mode, all balls to the wall; the car handled it other than two minor issues. I don’t know about the normal wheels, but the CF wheels got so hot that they melted the glue holding on the wheel balance weights, which all fell off -duct tape to the rescue. The other little issue was that some of the clear wrap under the doors got peeled loose, painter’s tape this time fixed it.
  2. Don’t even think of running in auto mode, the gears it selects are hopeless (unlike my Mac, which picks the best gear 99% of the time). Manual is a blast anyway, just keep your eye on the shift lights, that rev limiter comes up really quickly
  3. Whatever your brake points have been in the past, forget them, the brakes on this car are insanely good. I never found the limit on the main straight; I was braking from 160-165 at the 150 foot mark, but I always had some left (my huevos weren’t big enough!)
  4. The fuel gauge is hilariously hopeless. When the track-setting dash panel is telling you that you’ve 60+% fuel left, the 0 miles warning keeps coming up
  5. It’s the most predictable and controllable car I’ve ever driven; you want to drift out of the carousel, go for it, and even when things get out of hand a little correction and you’re good to go. I came in after every session laughing my head off, it’s that much fun!
  6. Expect to spend a lot of money on tyres, mine are shot
That’s it, if you’ve not tracked this car, you are missing out on why it was built, simply amazing5456054560

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, and you happened to have all this equipment stored in the trunk?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
What trunk? Luckily I was with a group who came prepared

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
Excellent feedback! Thanks for sharing - sounds like you had a blast.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That sound like an amazing time! Thanks for the report hope you have some in car video

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Very cool, Great looking car!
Someone already posted a video of you flying by them at COTA...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sounds like a fantastic event!

You should include as part of your track prep to tape the weights in advance with aluminum foil tape (used on HVAC ducts). That will keep them in place (holds better than racer tape, but that works too)

I don’t know about the normal wheels, but the CF wheels got so hot that they melted the glue holding on the wheel balance weights, which all fell off -

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thats Awesome! Sounds like a blast! Can I come visit?

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
How does it compare with the Mac (handling, braking, acceleration and lap time)?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like an absolute amazing time! Thanks for sharing the experience.

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Wonderful experience. I hope we all have this opportunity

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I plan on giving it a try. I always use the silver hi-temp tape on the wheel weights. I may not drive as fast as Mongrel though. Definitely not as fast as DoctorV8.

Ed

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Awesome post. Great seeing you. Your car looked amazing.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
How does it compare with the Mac (handling, braking, acceleration and lap time)?
My best-ever laptime in the Mac was 2:28, I ran a 2:24 in the GT, and given no traffic and more seat time I reckon it could be a 2:20 car. The handling is way better than the Mac, which always seems a little unsettled under heavy braking, and the GT steering is sublime - tells you exactly what the car is about to do (that’s what makes it so easy to correct). Acceleration is a bit quicker (not much) but the surprising thing is turbo lag; in the Mac there’s not a lot going on below 3000 rpm, but in the Ford it’s all happening all the time. Even if you come out of a corner in say, third instead of second, the torque just pulls you through. I love this thing!

Reactions: Austinj427

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Glad to hear! Just think what you could have done if the car had been painted red. 🤔

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My best-ever laptime in the Mac was 2:28, I ran a 2:24 in the GT, and given no traffic and more seat time I reckon it could be a 2:20 car. The handling is way better than the Mac, which always seems a little unsettled under heavy braking, and the GT steering is sublime - tells you exactly what the car is about to do (that’s what makes it so easy to correct). Acceleration is a bit quicker (not much) but the surprising thing is turbo lag; in the Mac there’s not a lot going on below 3000 rpm, but in the Ford it’s all happening all the time. Even if you come out of a corner in say, third instead of second, the torque just pulls you through. I love this thing!
Dave Your getting me very excited!

Reactions: ENZO BTR

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dave,
Wow, sounds like a blast. Hope to someday have the same opportunity. Looking forward to seeing her in a few weeks.
Are you bringing both cars?

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Thank you Texas, that is wonderful to hear. I have not tracked mine but did notice how easy it was to control on an induced off ramp slide. Very balanced and undramatic gives a feeling of confidence.

GT0987

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 11, 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
As an observer to your group you were definitely balls to the wall. People were pointing at you coming onto the front straight and saying "watch this!" and there you went. Being in a different group I had the pleasure of chasing the Heritage (Frank the Tank?) for a few laps. As much as I've watched the car and heard about it, nothing prepared me for the extreme braking I saw at the end of the straights. It was unfamiliar to brake so much earlier than the car in front of me. It was a great weekend.

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I was there with Dave this weekend, The NFGT was incredible to watch both on the track and off. Being in the garage with Dave and Frank people were constantly around with cameras. I was in the same run group as Dave rotating between a 96 vette, Audi R8 and a Honda powered Miata. Dave lapped me in everything except the Audi. Thats where the NFGT is most fun to watch, on the track as it closes on you and goes by like a low flying jet. Dave was tearing up the track and he drove it over from Houston and straight onto the track a few minutes later. So it will most likely do in the 220's or less lap times if your not worried about taking it home or for groceries. LOL Dave was giving rides all weekend to the brave. Two riders got queasy from their ride and they are both racers. One thing almost every rider mentioned is that the way the aero is designed the hot air off the radiator goes right past the windows. In some turns with the windows down they could feel the hot air distinctly. It was a great weekend and I am pretty sure Dave still has a big grin plastered on his face.

Reactions: Special K and BAT