Think my Whipple broke:( I rolled on the gas and it made an aweful grinding noise

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
TT + stock blower makes 850 rw hp and 800 rw tq on pump gas (1000 rw hp on C16) and you do not lose any lower end power.

That sounds awesome.......How much? I was at 743rwhp with the Whipple. Another 100 sounds good.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, so Whipple recieved my supercharger. Something went wrong with the supercharger. Mike and Whipple are taking care of me. Have to get a new supercharger. Case is no good. But, I have to say Whipple has been great so far should have the GT up and running soon! Miss my Ford!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Ok, so Whipple recieved my supercharger. Something went wrong with the supercharger. Mike and Whipple are taking care of me. Have to get a new supercharger. Case is no good. But, I have to say Whipple has been great so far should have the GT up and running soon! Miss my Ford!

For the most part that organization does a really good job in these situations. Good to hear !

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Have had the new Whipple back. :) Will install on Friday. Thanks Whipple and Mike for getting it out so fast.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Have had the new Whipple back. :) Will install on Friday. Thanks Whipple and Mike for getting it out so fast.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead guys but my 3.4L gen 2 whipple broke yesterday just like Kenric AKA Black GT's did in this here thread. it sounds to me like the rotors are colliding and are hitting the case as well. so i am gonna have to either get a new 3.4L or upgrade to a 4.0L. my question to Kenric would be did this damage your intercooler or your motor as well? when the turbo grenaded a vane on my Turbocharged Kawasaki drag bike i had to the replace the rings on my pistons and my valves. if that is the case with my GT then it will be going to Accufab to get rebuilt with some upgrades like Chip Becks motor....

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead guys but my 3.4L gen 2 whipple broke yesterday just like Kenric AKA Black GT's did in this here thread. it sounds to me like the rotors are colliding and are hitting the case as well. so i am gonna have to either get a new 3.4L or upgrade to a 4.0L. my question to Kenric would be did this damage your intercooler or your motor as well? when the turbo grenaded a vane on my Turbocharged Kawasaki drag bike i had to the replace the rings on my pistons and my valves. if that is the case with my GT then it will be going to Accufab to get rebuilt with some upgrades like Chip Becks motor....

Sorry to hear. What pulley are you using? How hard do you drive her? I had the 3.4l installed last year and now I have some small concerns after reading this. I don't track my car or get her to full boost to often.

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Freddy,

When my Gen 2. broke the shavings from the blades / case were lying on top of the intercooler. Took my time, cleared all the trash out with a dental pick, vaccuum and Dustin at Whipple rebuilt mine and was good as new. BTW- Mine broke at The Texas Mile at 180 mph thru the checkered flags. Lots of bad thoughts were rolling thru my head. Blades locked up and then broke the front pulley of the Supercharger at that speed. Front pulley took out several water fittings and belts. Good Luck but it shouldn't be much more than just a rebuild.

Larry

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Use a borescope to inspect the cylinders. When the plugs are out, turn the motor over by hand and inspect each cylinder with the piston at the end of the intake stroke.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Freddy,

When my Gen 2. broke the shavings from the blades / case were lying on top of the intercooler. Took my time, cleared all the trash out with a dental pick, vaccuum and Dustin at Whipple rebuilt mine and was good as new. BTW- Mine broke at The Texas Mile at 180 mph thru the checkered flags. Lots of bad thoughts were rolling thru my head. Blades locked up and then broke the front pulley of the Supercharger at that speed. Front pulley took out several water fittings and belts. Good Luck but it shouldn't be much more than just a rebuild.

Larry

hopefully the intercooler kept the debris from getting into the cylinders. my drag bike does not have an intercooler and the shrapnel went through the carbs. the damage to my supercharger is confined to just inside the case. the rotors are still turning as is the belt and it is still making boost when i limped it home about 8 miles and the rattling sounds actually went away. then when i started it up again in the garage late last night with the clamshell open the rattle was back. the damage may not be as bad as i think it is....

first things first, i will have one of my mechanics pull the supercharger off and inspect it and the intercooler and go from there....

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, Fred, as we have PM'd I would hope that damage is minimal and well isolated. To be safe - and for future readers of this thread, I would advise against any more running of the engine. Remove the blower and then try to collect any and all debris on the intercooler - which happens to make a damn good filter for the big chunks. Collect any pieces you may find (hopefully few if any) and then to correlate these pieces to any rotor damage. For good measure, it's a good time to inspect the plugs and while out, you can use a borescope to have a look inside the cylinders. Again, I would assume all will be OK - it is just prudent to error on the side of caution at this point.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
So the obvious question...why are these things blowing up??

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For what it is worth, many Home Depots stock an inexpensive borescope with a 9mm camera head which is small enough to get through the plug holes. You can also use it to inspect the intake tracts.

After only one do-it-yourself colonoscopy, mine more than paid for itself.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So the obvious question...why are these things blowing up??

The bearings are going bad if the rotors are making contact.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Underengineered? Bad batch of bearings? Once is an outlier. Twice is cause for pause. Should last as long as the engine IMO.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
For what it is worth, many Home Depots stock an inexpensive borescope with a 9mm camera head which is small enough to get through the plug holes. Use can also use it to inspect the intake tracts.

After only one do-it-yourself colonoscopy, mine more than paid for itself.

Bahahaha! That and a can of starting fluid for anaesthetic, and a helper and it's a total DIY.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Underengineered? Bad batch of bearings? Once is an outlier. Twice is cause for pause. Should last as long as the engine IMO.

I know more have failed than the 2 mentioned here all were Gen 2 to my knowledge, but that probably isn't statistically significant since Gen 2 installation far outnumber Gen 1 and Gen 3 4.0L blowers.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Still, failure seems like it's excessive for this type of product. OEM blowers seem to be engineered and built to NOT blow up.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Still, failure seems like it's excessive for this type of product. OEM blowers seem to be engineered and built to NOT blow up.

The reliability of OEM parts far exceed aftermarket parts 99.9% of the time. One exception would be the gauges on a FGT!

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
the reliability of oem parts far exceed aftermarket parts 99.9% of the time. One exception would be the gauges on a fgt!

word!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Any idea if the two Whipples were manufactured? Might they share components from the same batch (bearings, probably)?