Think my Whipple broke:( I rolled on the gas and it made an aweful grinding noise

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
:frown I limped her home. Gonna have to pull the Whipple off and see what happened. The sound is coming from the blower. Need to call Whipple and ask how much for a rebuild. Love the Whipple and the power she makes. Hopefully I didn't do any damage to the intercoolier. I have the Gen 2 3.4L. What do you guys think? Has anyone here had their Whipple break? Was just messing with a F430 when it happened. I might turbo her with Jason, but I like the low end power of the blower. What do you guys think about twin turbos, or stock charger with turbos?

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Sorry this happened. What a bummer.

I think the Whipple is a nice balanced complement for the GT. 743 RWHP is amazing.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry this happened. What a bummer.

I think the Whipple is a nice balanced complement for the GT. 743 RWHP is amazing.

Thanks man. Loved her with the Whipple. Hopefully if will just be a case of getting the blower rebuilt. Still weighing my options.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
What lb/size pulley is on your gen 2 whipple 3.4L?

What exhaust setup do you have?

RE: Turbos, looks like you already know what Heffner can do for you.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
What lb/size pulley is on your gen 2 whipple 3.4L?

What exhaust setup do you have?

RE: Turbos, looks like you already know what Heffner can do for you.

21 pound pulley and a Heffner car back

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Do the stock blower/TT setup. You get the low down grunt and a nice top end. You can thank me later.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
How many miles on the Whipple?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ + 1

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Do the stock blower/TT setup. You get the low down grunt and a nice top end. You can thank me later.

So, you like the stock blower TT set up? Please tell me more. Who's system do you have? I have 10k on her so like 8k on the whipple and just street miles. No track time at all. Thats what my ACR is for. I blew past the F430 then just an aweful sicking grinding sound:(. Maybe its time for stock blower with turbos:). Or just put my set up back. Mullet what rwhp do you put down on 91 pump?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
So, you like the stock blower TT set up? Please tell me more. Who's system do you have? I have 10k on her so like 8k on the whipple and just street miles. No track time at all. Thats what my ACR is for. I blew past the F430 then just an aweful sicking grinding sound:(. Maybe its time for stock blower with turbos:). Or just put my set up back. Mullet what rwhp do you put down on 91 pump?

I absolutely love the TT/SC setup. It's the Hennessey kit and it's a bolt on system. No need to go into the engine. While doing the kit get a upgraded clutch, you will reed it. I get 860rwhp on 93 octane ( I never run it with pump gas but I can if I have to, c16 for everyday driving for me). Im getting 1026 rwhp out of mine, most of them make between 950 and what mine makes.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I absolutely love the TT/SC setup. It's the Hennessey kit and it's a bolt on system. No need to go into the engine. While doing the kit get a upgraded clutch, you will reed it. I get 860rwhp on 93 octane ( I never run it with pump gas but I can if I have to, c16 for everyday driving for me). Im getting 1026 rwhp out of mine, most of them make between 950 and what mine makes.

Thats one reason I never went with just the turbos. I really like the way the blower has power everywhere. The blower turbos seems like the way to go. Or I might just put the Whipple back on after it is fixed. Will see won't be able to do anything with the car for a week.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I will be following this closely. I'm interested in seeing what type of issues the whipples have. Check your air filters. It may have sucked them up. Whipple's like clean air, when it is in short supply they will eat whatever gets in the way.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I will be following this closely. I'm interested in seeing what type of issues the whipples have. Check your air filters. It may have sucked them up. Whipple's like clean air, when it is in short supply they will eat whatever gets in the way.

I have K&N drop ins. Maybe it sucked one of the K&Ns in. I mean my car runs HARD other than my 1130whp Gallardo not much can hang here.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Checked the throttle body no airfliters that I can tell got sucked into blower. My Ford GT tech and I think the bearings went bad, or something in the Whipple. Tom who is a great GT tech will pull off the Whipple on Sunday. Will send it into Whipple for a rebuild. I love the set up on my GT, so will just put the new Whipple back on and hopefully will make the same power........

Last edited:

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
So, pulled the Whipple off, and the rotors are touching. Maybe a baring failure.....My question is I have little metal shavings on top of the intercooler. Looks like I can just vacum the pieces off the intercooler. Do you think I should pull off the intercooler, or would the intercooler catch most of it? Sending in the Whipple asap want my GT back to her former glory;)

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So, pulled the Whipple off, and the rotors are touching. Maybe a baring failure.....My question is I have little metal shavings on top of the intercooler. Looks like I can just vacum the pieces off the intercooler. Do you think I should pull off the intercooler, or would the intercooler catch most of it? Sending in the Whipple asap want my GT back to her former glory;)

"Most" is not "all". IMO not removing it and checking EVERYTHING out is just not worth the risk. ("An ounce of prevention" and all that...)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
had a turbo grenade on my Kawi and the motor ate a disintegrated vane and the rings and the valves had to be replaced, etc

Mar 15, 2006
TT + stock blower makes 850 rw hp and 800 rw tq on pump gas (1000 rw hp on C16) and you do not lose any lower end power.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
"Most" is not "all". IMO not removing it and checking EVERYTHING out is just not worth the risk. ("An ounce of prevention" and all that...)

:agree: Unless you drive like EP.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006

You are right. Will pull off the intercooler and check everything......not worth hurting the motor