The New Shelby GT350

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The issue with the R model is the tires and cold weather. The tires can develop cracks under freezing conditions for prolonged periods. GM had some serious issues with the new Corvette Z06 and the tires developing cracks when sitting in winter freezing conditions due to transport or on dealer lots. My guess is that Ford learned from that. In addition, the R tires will have very little traction under colder conditions. I just don't think that Ford wants to experience the same issues as GM did. The Corvette Z06 guys are also talking about heated winter storage for their tires. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The issue with the R model is the tires and cold weather. The tires can develop cracks under freezing conditions for prolonged periods. GM had some serious issues with the new Corvette Z06 and the tires developing cracks when sitting in winter freezing conditions due to transport or on dealer lots. My guess is that Ford learned from that. In addition, the R tires will have very little traction under colder conditions. I just don't think that Ford wants to experience the same issues as GM did. The Corvette Z06 guys are also talking about heated winter storage for their tires. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought there was also a recall for cracked Goodyear F1's (although not ours) also when stored at low temps.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I thought there was also a recall for cracked Goodyear F1's (although not ours) also when stored at low temps.

image.jpeg

I've not had any problems with mine, but Florida doesn't have extremely cold winters.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
View attachment 39515

I've not had any problems with mine, but Florida doesn't have extremely cold winters.

You have G:2s?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My 2014 GT500 had them before I installed Pirelli Trofeo Rs on widened stock wheels.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For all of you GT, GT350, and GT350R owners/prospective owners, we have invested several months in developing a 4-point roll bar that will fit these cars and provide a level of safety over OEM. I have kept abreast of any/all competitor's offerings and I am confident that our solution will offer superior strength, installation options (*), install-ability, and aesthetics. Our roll bar kit will install equally well in cars with a rear seat or without a rear seat (350R). Of course we would NEVER advocate having any rear seat passengers once the bar is installed, but not requiring customers to purchase/install a RSD kit is a real advantage for most. Our solution will have much better conformance to the car's roofline (safety & aesthetic advantages) and our incorporated harness bar and diagonal will NOT impede full rearward seat travel for tall drivers.

(*) While NO roll bar system can insure the complete safety of the driver/passenger, the general consensus is that bar systems that are welded into place offer more strength and protection than bolt-in solutions. Our GT/GT350/GT350R kit can be either 100% bolted into place, 100% welded into place, or any combination. While accidents can happen in any environment, the more the car is used for wheel to wheel racing the more important it is that the bar is welded into place - and the governing rules for whatever racing you are doing tend to cover (and enforce) this well. Conversely, I suspect that the majority of GT/350/350R owners are going to see occasional track use and our bolt-in option will provide increased occupant protection as well as providing a preferred method for shoulder harness anchoring. Of course one of the advantages of bolt-in is that the bars can ship powdercoated and ready for install. By comparison, bolt-in roll bars are routinely offered by Porsche for their GT3 and GT3RS cars in European markets.

To complement the Roll Bar Kits, we will also have 6-point (CROW) racing harnesses with customized clip brackets as well as modest GT350R designations on both the pull straps and cam-lock covers - much the same way that we did this for the Boss 302 owners.

Our first production bars will be back from powdercoating this week so I hope to have some pics available very soon.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
GT 350 track day offered by Ford update!

Many of us received the track day letter from Ford to drive a GT350 at a designated few tracks around the country. Several of us replied immediately and were told sorry but sold out. One of my buddies that accompanied me to a couple of Rallys was lucky enough to be accepted. Tony Jacobs has driven my Gt at TWS and owns a Boss Laguna Seca of his own. He has several track cars and is a member of Motorsports Ranch of Houston with 100's of track hours. He chose to drive Lime Rock on the Track day so he could mark another course off his bucket list. Here is his observations from this morning.

"It was as much fun as you can imagine. We have just finished the ride along. When they let us drive we were limited to 3rd gear except for the straightaway where we could hit 4th. The test driver, who was the same instructor that I had at Miller track attack in the Laguna Seca, drove the entire course in 3rd, 4th & 5th. He was tremendously fast in the car."

Tony's plan was to try to get a hole shot on buying a 350R at the end of the track day by offering whatever to get one at list price. They wouldn't give them any info on how many will be produced or exactly when but did advise those present to be patient. They believe the price will get down to list pretty quickly.

Tony absolutely loves his Boss 302/ Laguna Seca but did say this car is an animal. He says he will wait and get a 350R and add the luxurys.

Just some FYI.

Larry (Thugboat) Boatner

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
For all of you GT, GT350, and GT350R owners/prospective owners, we have invested several months in developing a 4-point roll bar that will fit these cars and provide a level of safety over OEM. I have kept abreast of any/all competitor's offerings and I am confident that our solution will offer superior strength, installation options (*), install-ability, and aesthetics. Our roll bar kit will install equally well in cars with a rear seat or without a rear seat (350R). Of course we would NEVER advocate having any rear seat passengers once the bar is installed, but not requiring customers to purchase/install a RSD kit is a real advantage for most. Our solution will have much better conformance to the car's roofline (safety & aesthetic advantages) and our incorporated harness bar and diagonal will NOT impede full rearward seat travel for tall drivers.

(*) While NO roll bar system can insure the complete safety of the driver/passenger, the general consensus is that bar systems that are welded into place offer more strength and protection than bolt-in solutions. Our GT/GT350/GT350R kit can be either 100% bolted into place, 100% welded into place, or any combination. While accidents can happen in any environment, the more the car is used for wheel to wheel racing the more important it is that the bar is welded into place - and the governing rules for whatever racing you are doing tend to cover (and enforce) this well. Conversely, I suspect that the majority of GT/350/350R owners are going to see occasional track use and our bolt-in option will provide increased occupant protection as well as providing a preferred method for shoulder harness anchoring. Of course one of the advantages of bolt-in is that the bars can ship powdercoated and ready for install. By comparison, bolt-in roll bars are routinely offered by Porsche for their GT3 and GT3RS cars in European markets.

To complement the Roll Bar Kits, we will also have 6-point (CROW) racing harnesses with customized clip brackets as well as modest GT350R designations on both the pull straps and cam-lock covers - much the same way that we did this for the Boss 302 owners.

Our first production bars will be back from powdercoating this week so I hope to have some pics available very soon.

Did you guys ever happen to come up with a roll bar option for the 13/14 GT500 convertibles?

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I'm sure we will need tow hooks also please.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
"This is more than simply the best Mustang possible; it's more like the best M6 BMW never built, a high-revving love letter to purity of purpose and execution."

landscape-1444232708-gt350.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26956/mustang-gt350r-vs-mustang-boss-302/

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Just attended the GT350 Track Tour event at Sebring. The short version: the R is going to shock, not surprise, track competition. I came prepared to yawn, finding a good example of continuous improvement over my 2013 Boss. The damn thing is really impressive, congratulations to the Team at Ford Performance on a great product!

Much discussion around the FPC engine, OK it's nice. But you need to congratulate the ride/handling and brake groups for the level of acomplishment in this car. I grew up on Mustangs and understeer is just the nature of the beast, until now. NEUTRAL - even at the limit, and the brakes are incredible - carbon ceramic need not apply. My drive was short but the ride along with Miller Motorsports (Henry re-sign them please) showed the real capability of the car. I was neutral about the IRS until today. We couldn't access the rougher portions of the Sebring track but Bill took the car over the FIA curb sections on exit, under power. (IRS & Magnaride) Well, try that in my Boss and were steppin' out, no matter how good a driver you are.

Executive Summary: Compelling Value - Carroll would really be proud!

And thanks to Ford for putting together such a great customer event.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
image.jpg

The French Press seemingly liked the GT350. ;-))

Here they parked one to photograph against the pit/garages on the Sebring main straight. Note the manufacturer/years on the structure. Legendary damn place!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Come back for the 12 hour.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Only if I'm driving. ;-)))

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do they make a helmet big enough to fit your head?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Just attended the GT350 Track Tour event at Sebring. The short version: the R is going to shock, not surprise, track competition. I came prepared to yawn, finding a good example of continuous improvement over my 2013 Boss. The damn thing is really impressive, congratulations to the Team at Ford Performance on a great product!

Much discussion around the FPC engine, OK it's nice. But you need to congratulate the ride/handling and brake groups for the level of acomplishment in this car. I grew up on Mustangs and oversteer is just the nature of the beast, until now. NEUTRAL - even at the limit, and the brakes are incredible - carbon fiber need not apply. My drive was short but the ride along with Miller Motorsports (Henry re-sign them please) showed the real capability of the car. I was neutral about the IRS until today. We couldn't access the rougher portions of the Sebring track but Bill took the car over the FIA curb sections on exit, under power. (IRS & Magnaride) Well, try that in my Boss and were steppin' out, no matter how good a driver you are.

Executive Summary: Compelling Value - Carroll would really be proud!

And thanks to Ford for putting together such a great customer event.

Sweet Rex!
And here I was impressed with the ride we got from the Mustang Team at Deerfield village for Rally 10.
Must have been REALLY good!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Do they make a helmet big enough to fit your head?

Just your basic medium, to medium-rare. Preference for red.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great stuff! And Sebring is a lot of fun! Imagine 98 cars on that front straight (well a bunch still in 17 and beyond).

Gt350 is pretty awesome!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida