The most sobering thread in the world

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
"My only bit of advice matey - If you crash in a big way expect to be on the news."

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111454&page=1

Server is getting killed with all the attention it's getting, so it may or may not work.

:frown

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
RIP Josh...
Very sad...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It seems that the driver was seeing how fast the car can go on runway, but underestimated the braking distances needed. Very sad.

Much better than a public highway, but nevertheless still dangerous.

My cousin's kid, rolled and totaled an M3 and he was luckly he wasn't injured and was driving alone. High performance cars and young males don't mix without selection pressure rearing its ugly head.

bilde

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Just read through that thread.... a terrible tragedy, a huge loss for 5 families - and all for a bit of fun....

Teenagers and high performance cars don't mix.

RIP

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Horrible:frown

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's just such a crazy read. 3 days ago this kid comes on asking how to drive the car past 140, people give him all kinds of grief saying he's going to kill someone or himself and end up on the news, and now he's dead along with 4 friends.

Only in the internet age. This is why I have no interest in street racing posts on here.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I remeber that thread. I quit reading it because they were ripping the kid so bad.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
AmericanM5 said:
I completley understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible..that is definetly understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others..
Very sad indeed. :frown

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
It's just such a crazy read. 3 days ago this kid comes on asking how to drive the car past 140, people give him all kinds of grief saying he's going to kill someone or himself and end up on the news, and now he's dead along with 4 friends.

Only in the internet age. This is why I have no interest in street racing posts on here.

This surely is a very eerie read… and I couldn’t agree more on the street racing threads.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Mr. Forum Owner,
THANK YOU!
The day we have a 'kill' section on this forum, is the day I pack it in.
DSB

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI

Very sobering indeed.

As we were talking last night... very wise direction you've taken this forum from the start :)

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Timmy will drive with me in the car and not drive her by himself until I... myself am pretty close to being in the dirt....

God speed and god rest Josh

DBK, as always my newport beach friend..... class act..

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
This is so terrible for 5 families and everyone who has children because it's every parents worst nightmare and another horrible wake up call for teenage drivers and their parents.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Kid wasn't much older than I am, and I'm not going to say I haven't been faster than that in a car, it makes you think. Even more surprising is that we had a few friends in common on facebook, so this isn't one of those stories that you read about and think "that couldn't ever be me" :frown

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Lots of news clips on the subject here:

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=news1000

It's a damn shame.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
All of us were teenage boys at one stage - and it's a fairly global phenomenon that teenage boys feel bullet proof.

I drove a Z1100 Kawaski at ridiculous speeds and nobody knew better than me. Six weeks in hospital demonstrated how fragile life could be and now I have a bad back as a reminder - I was lucky.

I'm not sure what the answer is, lecturing kids and hand-wringing isn't it, I think it's simply a case of saying 'no' when they want to borrow or own a high performance car as we know that they would, like us, say 'let's see what this car will do....'.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What's truely ironic here is the fact that these boys did the speed run on a private airport runway - not on a public street or highway. So, they obviously must have been thinking (and with some justification) it'd be pretty "safe".

But, from the look of things, they either didn't check beforehand to see exactly where the runway ended, or they didn't somehow "mark" the point at which they'd have to brake ... or both. (And maybe they never even thought of doing either...)

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
What's truely ironic here is the fact that these boys did the speed run on a private airport runway - not on a public street or highway. So, they obviously must have been thinking (and with some justification) it'd be pretty "safe".

But, from the look of things, they either didn't check beforehand to see exactly where the runway ended, or they didn't somehow "mark" the point at which they'd have to brake ... or both. (And maybe they never even thought of doing either...)

As I understand it, the accident occurred at 3am. Which means they probably couldn't see jacks**t and it is doubtful that their parents knew they had the car. (Even if you availed you son the use of your personal M5, I can't believe you would let him have it past midnight or so) My guess would be they slipped it out.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
The Short, Deadly Story of a Kid and his M5

Lots of details in this article....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=124526

Last edited:

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
How sad. I survived my youth and sadly can identify with teenage excess. My good fortune was having a four year old Mercury Marquis as a sixteen year old driver. I still did some outrageously stupid things in that shit box. I couldn't imagine what harm I would have caused had I had 500hp on command.

Those poor families.