The GT Guys and Torrie coming to Minneapolis

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for leading the charge on this guys.

<popcorn>

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I'm going to try Twin City Tire here in EP for the alignment inspection. I have had good luck with them in the past.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Well I have ruled out Apple Valley Ford. Their technician (SVT guy) said he will not use the shims from Ford as he believes them to be dangerous. He wanted to install Mustang camber plates instead. I promptly said no thanks and now would even question getting the oil changed there if they believe they know better. Many local guys use them. I am now not one of them.

So we either have Courtney's or EP Twin Cities Tire. Rich from GT Guys recommended I bring it to the alignment rack and get the current measurements. They'd then send me the proper shims and locations for proper specs. I hate to bother them with something so small, but that sounds like my next move. Painful to do it twice, but better than doing it wrong.

Rob

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...Their technician (SVT guy) said he will not use the shims from Ford as he believes them to be dangerous. He wanted to install Mustang camber plates instead...
Rob

:confused

Ford GTs don't use camber plates? OEM shims dangerous? Either this tech is on drugs or is very confused. When would a dealer's service dept. ever say that OEM parts are dangerous? I don't think Ford would appreciate that!

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
A guy who doesn't know these cars....

Rob

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A guy who doesn't know these cars....

Rob

Dang it.

Thought I had a local guy to work on my car....

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I'm headed to Twin City Tire on Monday. I'll report back then.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I went to Auto Edge here in Mahtomedi on the east side. They are capable and willing to do it. They have a new Hunter HD camera alignment rack for their porsche race cars which is for really low cars. They offered to give me a baseline alignment reading. Then I plan to translate that to Rich who in turn will send me the shims and where to put them. Then back there for final alignment. Sounds like my plan. These guys have worked in my 911 TT without issues and are all PCA race drivers/instructors who seem to know their business.

Rob

AtomicZ

Sep 22, 2011
MN
Courtney or Auto Edge should get you squared away.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I called Courtney and they said they had no info for the car but could accomplish it with "camera and string". Does this sound credible? Also quoted $250 for the job.

AtomicZ

Sep 22, 2011
MN
Little old school. That's how Rippie does my track vette. Auto Edge seems to be a little more modern.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Waiting to see what Twin Cities Tire says... I have an appointment for a baseline check at Auto Edge on Friday afternoon. Will report how it goes.

Rob

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Skip Twin City. I spoke with the owner and he was confident they could do it. I've had other cars done there before.

Showed up this morning, the tech took one look at it and said there was no way he was touching it.

I guess I'll call Courtney.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
There we go. Road trip to Detroit?

Rob

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
One last trick up my sleeve. There is a one man shop in Bloomington that came from Courtney. He has done a lot of work for me and recently did my friends GT3. Its going to him on Friday.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Looks like we are hosting the GT Guys to come out again this year. Sorry no Torrie this time. If you are interested in getting service or any upgrades let me know. PM or email is fine. I hope to have a list of those interested for Rich and Dennis.

Thanks

Rob

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I am always open to come back if need be !

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Torrie,
You are always welcome. Maybe we have a new 4.0 whipple and GT guys intake in the group?

ROB

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That would be fun for sure !

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Please add Jim Murphy to the yes/attend list.

May have one more when the dates are known.

Thanks !
Robert Foster