Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'm seeing double ^^ :wink

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Just for you, I always take multiple shots in a row.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Who owns the r8? I always thought about adding that to my stable... Worth it?

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Just for you, I always take multiple shots in a row.

Perfect!

That's Rob's (otis). He'll chime in.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Dyno graphs

I notice the AFRs are sitting at about 12. It looks like there is a dashed line at about 13 which I imagine represents "ideal" (but I thought it was 14.something, although it looked like they may have started there [at idle?]). Does the car usually run at 12 or is that part of the tune? I'm just curious about the normal operating "from the factory" characteristics of the engine.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
My target AF is 11.8 - 12.0 at WOT with these engines. Factory AF gets you into the 10 range up top.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Rain didn't deter most of the local FGT owners from turning up at Saturday's MN C&C (Cars & Coffee).

Kudos to all for making the time/effort.

Neat way to wrap up the week.

2688d1d5.jpg

rawAZB_2764.jpg

And my car - pre and post 'mist':
rawAZB_2540.jpg

rawAZB_2550.jpg

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN

Well for me it's worth it. Purely personal. I have sort of planned my stable by engine type and experience. I have the FGT with the super charger, a 911 turbo, a 427 cobra replica, and a V10 R8. All very differennt cars with super different personalities. A car with massive supercharger torque, a twin turbo with lag and super top end boost hit, a big old fashioned V8, and an exotic high rev (8850 redline) V10. I love them all for different reasons.

The R8 is the most refined luxurious car I have. It oozes quality and finesse. It's the easiest car to drive at the limit. Getting 10/10ths is easy and secure. I've never been a car so easy to drive fast. My 911 at the limit is scary above 7/10ths, but very rewarding when you can get it higher. I have the R-tronic which in my mind is one of the best transmissions made. It's a manual that shifts with the right foot. When you accelerate it waits for a pause or gentle lift and then shifts. The driver shifts the automatic with the throttle. If you ignore it and drive it like an autobox it's jerky and feels like riding with a kid learning to drive a stick. It lifts the throttle and shifts when it wants to.

The AWD is calibrated 80/20 rear bias. Mine is the spyder so it's not a track machine. The fit and finish is typical Audi very neat and tidy. No creaks or rattles and very tight. The v10 is amazing low torque is decent, but get above 4000 rpms and the noise is intoxicating. Sophisticated symphony of valves, chains, and gears right behind your head. With the spyder the rear window can be lowered while you drive allowing you to listen to the motor. Think if you could lower the rear window of the FGT and you will understand what I mean. I love the car. It's more subdued than it's sister the Lamborghini, but that's why I like it. It's flashed with the stasis chip to bring it back to 575HP like the Gallardo. Little softer suspension with the magnetic ride, but firm with the sport button and still acceptable ride quality. In my mind nothing not to like unless the lambo is more your style.

Rob

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Would you recommend the 6 speed manual over the auto? Sounds like I need to buy one. Thanks for your help.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
You have to drive both to compare. On the track the R-tronic is faster, but the R8 is supposed to have the best 6 speed currently available. That's debatable, but if you want a new one get it now since the rumor is they discontinued the manual in 2013 and changed to the dual clutch S-tronic instead. Not confirmed yet. Have fun shopping.

Rob

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I notice the AFRs are sitting at about 12. It looks like there is a dashed line at about 13 which I imagine represents "ideal" (but I thought it was 14.something, although it looked like they may have started there [at idle?]). Does the car usually run at 12 or is that part of the tune? I'm just curious about the normal operating "from the factory" characteristics of the engine.

+1

14.7 One thing about being rich is you don't burn your motor down.

More generic information (with the math) here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Well I need an alignment. I guess it's off to Courtney's Truck Service for me. Has anyone had their FGT aligned there? I would bet I need to purchase the shims and bring them along?

Otis

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well I need an alignment. I guess it's off to Courtney's Truck Service for me. Has anyone had their FGT aligned there? I would bet I need to purchase the shims and bring them along?

Otis

It would be a good idea to get the right shims. I doubt that the shop would have the correct OEM parts.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Rob, I am in the same boat. Where do we buy the shims?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I sell them of course.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Rob, I am in the same boat. Where do we buy the shims?

Jason,
I saw your car when it was on the lift and who ever did your previous alignment used washers instead of the FGT shims. Your car wasn't nearly as out of alignment as mine is now, but both Rich and Dennis commented about getting those changed and returned to the stock shims. I called Apple Valley Ford and their SVT tech who works on the FGTs there is calling me back about doing an alignment tomorrow morning. I'm not sure they are the place since the service manager needed to know what type of coil-overs I had and if I had installed camber plates in the car. That has me worried about if they have ever done this before. We will see.

I know Courtney's does all the Nord Stern track setups and had aligned my RS4 when I had drop springs on it. The owner is a PCA track instructor and racer. He's supposedly the best in town, but again I wonder if he's ever done it on a FGT. This sucks as I'm not up for a road trip to Detroit just for an alignment.

Rob

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Does anyone have a picture of what the oem shims look like? I assume any non-oem solution is unacceptable? Its hard to believe that anyone other than a dealer (even they) would have these proper shims in stock.

EDIT: Here is a pic

attachment.php

Last edited: