The GT Guy LLC to install the first two sets of Guerin Engineering door hinges

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Nope, I had the same issue on my X1. The originals had wear parts in them that didn't hold up for long, and as stated before each was individually hand worked because of the casting process. The GT Guys just finished redoing mine and they now work better than ever before.

Exactly what "wear parts" are we talking about?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Exactly what "wear parts" are we talking about?

I'll let Rich and Dennis (the GT Guys) answer that since they are the ones that took them apart. Remember these are the original "G" hinges not the new ones that Guerin Engineering has come up with.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Two things next time. Get Dennis to wear something a little sexier for the guys.:biggrin & I would like to see Rich get in and out of the car when opening & closing the door.Your around the same height as me I think.

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Only two things

Boys ,there is only two things that make my mouth water...

Those new gulf wing doors and.............

Attachments

• Pam 1.jpg
    Pam 1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 333

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I'll let Rich and Dennis (the GT Guys) answer that since they are the ones that took them apart. Remember these are the original "G" hinges not the new ones that Guerin Engineering has come up with.

Okay then GT Guys, what "wear parts" are we talking about?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Maybe it's "weak" parts?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Wear parts

Okay then GT Guys, what "wear parts" are we talking about?

When the original assemblies were built there were no provisions for any kind of bushings to provide a good wear point for the steel pin in an AL casting. We had to remove all of the pins and machine the casting to install bronze bushings. We also removed the metal ball and fabricated a nylon ball with bearings inside of it for smoother and quieter operation. Also we incorporated a "catch" assembly to properly align the door to the car just before it latches.

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Update

Two things next time. Get Dennis to wear something a little sexier for the guys.:biggrin & I would like to see Rich get in and out of the car when opening & closing the door.Your around the same height as me I think.

Just to put a close to both of these projects that were completed over the weekend. Both cars are now done and will be shipped out in the next week or two. One of which we will deliver to KDO this weekend on our trip to MD. This has been a nice project for us and with a few little tweaks of the system we feel that these will be provide many years of enjoyment.

New hinge installed
IMG_1765.jpg

Passenger side hinge and wiring complete. No need to modify the fuel filler neck on this version.
IMG_1786.jpg

Drivers side wiring in process.
IMG_1778.jpg

Both hinges installed and now the HOURS of aligning and adjustments begin.
IMG_1798.jpg

Now a few pics of the finished product. KDO will be quite happy with these.
IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

These videos are just for you Carl. Just for reference these two cars are 28" apart at the center of each door.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Thank You my friend,:thumbsup looks like it mite be just possible I could make it in & out with out injuring myself. The side clearance will be great for parking.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Nice work guys!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Excellent job Rich and Dennis! And thanks for answering the questions on the original "G" hinges.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The best name for these doors should be Saleen S7 Doors.....the swing, and roof cutouts style predates the GTX1; and other designs.

Great Job!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I can't wait until our event this weekend to check them out. Awesome job to everyone involved throughout the process:thumbsup

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Thanks to all involved in making this happen for me!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana
Now Baby come home to DADDY!!!!!!!!!!:banana

Aug 25, 2006
When the original assemblies were built there were no provisions for any kind of bushings to provide a good wear point for the steel pin in an AL casting. We had to remove all of the pins and machine the casting to install bronze bushings. We also removed the metal ball and fabricated a nylon ball with bearings inside of it for smoother and quieter operation. Also we incorporated a "catch" assembly to properly align the door to the car just before it latches.

Question

Were these pre/early production hinges? I ask because all of the hinges systems that I installed used OEM Teflon impregnated bronze bushings as all of the pins?

Yes all had the hardened roller and Bernard and I discussed using a nylon ball however at that time he felt that because of the ball and track design the harden ball was a better choice. There is no doubt that a nylon ball would be quieter and smoother; very cool.

Thank you

Shadowman

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Wouldn't the design be even better if the doors can be opened more vertical and allow more clearance when one tries to get out of the car? Or is this as far as the door can possibly open?

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Hinges

Question

Were these pre/early production hinges? I ask because all of the hinges systems that I installed used OEM Teflon impregnated bronze bushings as all of the pins?

Yes all had the hardened roller and Bernard and I discussed using a nylon ball however at that time he felt that because of the ball and track design the harden ball was a better choice. There is no doubt that a nylon ball would be quieter and smoother; very cool.

Thank you

Shadowman

Don't know exactly what level these particular hinges were as all of the ones we have seen have been "snowflakes" as we call them. These just had the pins with no bushings of any type causing the pin to wear in the AL. Since all of the "slop" was taken out of the pins we decided to change the ball from a hardened ball to a nylon ball with needle bearings inside of it to allow for smoother operation. The hardened ball kept locking up and just sliding in the
track rather than rolling like it should have.

Wouldn't the design be even better if the doors can be opened more vertical and allow more clearance when one tries to get out of the car? Or is this as far as the door can possibly open?

I'm sure it would be better if they could open more but this is Bernard's design. When we install these hinges or rework the old ones both are adjustable and we adjust them as to where they open as far as the hinges will allow.