The Future's Most Collectible Cars

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Most car guys are jaded on the ZR1

One day we will return to the malaise of late 70s-80s k-car <120hp appliance-cars; and look back at the ZR1 as our Hemi Cuda

Some wave will conspire to limit hp again: economy, insurance cos, OPEC, greens or bad taste...it happened in 1930s, 60s, 80s and will again.

Some kids will read that you could check off the boxes on the ZR1 at a local dealer, which will be an aisle at Mega-Mart in 2050 or an Icon on your cell.

H

HHGT

Chip, I think when battery technology catches up and really fast, simple, and yes, even clean cars are being produced, there are going to be many performance cars today that will simply end up on the scrap heap.

When that happens, the batteries will run down running an audio system with large enough speakers to make them sound like the GT

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
My 80yr old dad thinks an old John Deere 2 popper sounds 10 times better than my open exhaust GT. Things and taste change...

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
In terms of low production cars it always amazes me there are several 53 Vettes for sale when they made about 300 or so.(admittedly some of these are Frankencars ) Still plenty of 92 first year vipers as well.

The ZR1 is not likely to do well. Lately they have made a ton more Zs than Z06s. ZR1 are sitting and being heavily discounted.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I read through most of the posts here on this thread but the one thing I didn't read which I think should be considered is this.
We all seem to be referring to the past and on what numbers of cars produced then are collectible now.

So this may seem moron-ish, but........ if we did a car build in ratio to population from THEN
to
a car build in ratio to population NOW (you guys following me?) I believe the ratio would either be close or in our (GT owners ) favor.....

Just a thought.... I'll see what numbers I can find..... for fun anyways :biggrin

1968: U.S. Population = 200,700,000
2010: U.S. Population = 305,000,000

So, would someone please find the number of the most desirable car built in the late 60's and do the math??
or
Should we do Global population from then and now???

1968: World Population = 3,500,000,000
2010: World Population = 6,800,000,000

so now we can base the cars made in comparison to the amount of people available for them :lol:lol:lol
c'mon, someone take it to the next level

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Seriously, don't you guys ever get tired of discussing this topic? :lol

Why don't you go practice changing diapers and leave us alone?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Seriously, don't you guys ever get tired of discussing this topic? :lol

It is raining, my new garage floor is delaminating, and my car is still being worked on. Right now almost any thread would interest me including "GT as a daily driver", " who has the most miles on their GT", "am I too tall for a GT?", "gauge failures"-- you name it.

In fact if you reopened the Dr Harms thread my life would be complete.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
I collect solid lifter big block Corvettes. The 67 L71 production was 3754 units and today trade at 20 to as much as 50 times their sticker price for a black or red/red convertible with no issues. Production is an important part of the collector car equation but it really boils down to supply and demand. The part that makes this an apples to oranges comparison is that most of those cars were driven/blown up/ heavily modded. There are very few true time capsule 67 435 horse cars where there will be many low mile GTs in the future even though many have been totalled. Another factor is the cars from the 60s were the hi performance benchmark for many years where as today, they keep getting better and better. What works in the GTs favor is unlike many 60s cars where there are lots of fakes, restamps, trim tag changes, that will not be an issue with the GT. Another important factor is the "look of the car" and Ford got it right with the GT. I am not saying that it will perform like many of the 60s musclecars but I am just hoping to have fun with it and get my money out of it or perhaps make a small profit when it's time to sell. I am looking forward to getting mine.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Getting a strong feeling of Deja Vu

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
One thing to remember is that in the 60's people weren't collecting everything with the expectation it would be valuable in the future. Has really changed the whole value proposition. The real question to ask here is how valuable does the GT have to get for you to stop driving it? To sell it?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
To clarify - I am/was not comparing any other car to the FGT for any other reason than quantity available vs production at any specific time (why I listed 3 very different cars at 3 very different price points). Different cars hold different values in different places (need to look outside the US). No disrespect meant relating to wrecked FGTs and their owners - I've been involved with the Vipers for a while and some of the wrecks are pure misfortune - others are not. Moron comment retracted, blamed on Vodka.

Now to stir the pot: Apply some pure unbiased equality to the following "for instance". Young man dressed in young man clothes on the side of the road standing beside his destroyed GT500 with no other cars around - what are your thoughts? Now substitute that same unbiased opinion to a man in his 40's-60's standing in the same situation/condition beside his/a wrecked FGT.:confused

Moron comment still retracted.

Not diminishing the value of the Boss 302 - I simply did a search of e-bay and AutoTrader to gain a median value. Wikipedia said the "new" price was $3720. I know this is not finite fact but it is good enough for a generalization.

I really enjoy these public forums where you can throw ideas and opinions out there and see what comes back. I would not have bought a FGT is I was not in love with the car. There is the emotional attachment to any car that is evident in some of the responses. I'm the type of person that if someone tells me my cars are all junk I could care less - I will enjoy them no less. Every car will be rare & valuable given enough time. I had a conversation with an exotic car broker and the gist was that American car buyers are very different than exotic (non-American) car buyers. We were discussing a 1967 427 Stingray convertible he had been sitting on for almost 9 months and could not dump for under $100k (this a successful professional in the auto resale industry facing breaking even or even loosing on a rare/desirable/limited production American car). The passion displayed on this thread alone is a tale tale sign of that.

Value & collectibility are not necessarily performance based points. The FGT is a bada$$ performer, period, on a global scale. Now that that's out of the way - there are many, many other cars in the world that will do much better on the global market then the FGT, and many that will only do well on a global (non-American) market. The FGT is a necessary addition to any collection. Just as low, medium & high risk investments to any portfolio - diversification. (Not assessing risk of the FGT in any way - but it is a solid performer for the time being)

If we can remain objective and not emotional there will be fruit to eat.

Now on a personal note - Stop being so touchy!:biggrin

H

HHGT

Here's a collectable

May be as an anchor...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I evaluate a car strictly on its enjoyment level. I rarely see a GT besides my own unless I specifically get together with a group of owners and when I do I still get a perverse sense of joy watching it drive down the road. When I park, stop for gas, or go to the local C&C there is never a shortage of people who want to talk GT and photo the car. This car has evolved under my care from stock to pulley/tune to an actually reliable TT super car. The sheer fun I have had with the car far outweighs any other factor.

People constantly say to me that it is the one car they wish they had/could afford. Well, I got one. It is mine and there is truly not a car out there I would trade it for. It fits me. It is nice that it has held its value but the rest is irrelevant because I am going to keep on enjoying my car. End of story.

And DBK is right......these threads are :dead::dead: but everyone seems to read and comment on them. :lol :cheers

Keep driving my friends. :driving:

H

HHGT

Sorry Randy, beat you to it... http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21070-The-Future-s-Most-Collectible-Cars

Where have you been? Hope all is well with you and your family...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Should I cut and paste my reply from the other thread? :confused :lol :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
May be as an anchor...

Reminds me of this one

bugatti_veyron_lake_crash.jpg

H

HHGT

One floats one doesn't. Both have wings....

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Let's be objective.

Opinions are seldom objective, that is what makes arguing your point fun. :wink :cheers